Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
cancelx777
cancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
EPUB BOOK Creator - From Scratch ???

So, completely brain-freezed from all the types of converters and formaters etc....

What I want to know is:

Is there a WYSIWYG Writer for EPUB?

That is, is there a program I can write a book, as if I ws writing it in Word, and it simply "IS" in EPUB ebook format?

Also, would it know how to make the hyperlink Table of contents, word search etc... as part of the program ?

Sorry, complete newbie here. Would prefer if this was available, rather than write in say Word or Google Docs and then try to convert everything, make hyperlinks etc....

THANK YOU
cancelx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Jutoh or Atlantis
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
AWP at least, does not store its files in epub format. It publishes its files to epub and can not edit them when published.

You can use Sigil, an open source program, to edit actual epub files. Sigil has extensive search and replace facilities and an excellent spell check. It can generate both an epub toc and a hyperlink toc as well. It takes in html, txt and epubs.

Sigil handles the bundling of all the files together and is set up to allow reuse of images, especially important if you are using a graphic over and over between paragraphs or at chapter heads.

No one program currently available does everything...as it is Sigil uses a million lines of code to do what it does. Sigil only does epub2 and currently only does not destroy epub3 commands put into the file.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Use Atlantis Word Processor to edit your book and then create the ePub. If you need to edit the ePub from there, use Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx777 View Post
So, completely brain-freezed from all the types of converters and formaters etc....

What I want to know is:

Is there a WYSIWYG Writer for EPUB?

That is, is there a program I can write a book, as if I ws writing it in Word, and it simply "IS" in EPUB ebook format?

Also, would it know how to make the hyperlink Table of contents, word search etc... as part of the program ?

Sorry, complete newbie here. Would prefer if this was available, rather than write in say Word or Google Docs and then try to convert everything, make hyperlinks etc....

THANK YOU
Ah, the Holy Grail. cancelx777, trust us, if such a thing existed, everyone (the authors, at least) would be using it. Or, rather, none of these conversion "programs" or websites, etc., would exist, would they?

Although I also find that people will go to extraordinary lengths not to spend the $40 or so it takes to buy either Jutoh or AWP; they go to all sorts of contortions, downloading OO or LO, exporting that to something else, then to something else, then into Sigil or putting it into RTF and then into Calibre and then editing the Calibre-output ePUB in Sigil (oish...what a way to learn how to make ePUBS! I wouldn't wish that on anyone).

So, really: just use AWP. Take your Word file, paste it into AWP, then export your ePUB.

As far as the "built-in searches," the devices build in the searches. You don't. You will have to learn, no matter what you use, how to build your TOC, and each "way" has a different way of doing that, so nobody here can help you while you're still looking.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
cancelx777
cancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavens

Thanks Hitch, and all.
So, even though Jutoh calls itself a processor, ie, from scratch, it really isn't, neither is Atlantis? They only take in Word docs from MS Word ?

That licks, now doesn't it.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Hitch, and all.
So, even though Jutoh calls itself a processor, ie, from scratch, it really isn't, neither is Atlantis? They only take in Word docs from MS Word ?

You are not quite correct here. The following list is from the AWP website.

Quote:
Atlantis supports documents of the following formats:
  • Rich Text Format documents (RTF)
  • MS Word 6.0/95/97/2000/XP/2003 documents (DOC)
  • MS Word 2007 documents (DOCX)
  • OpenDocument documents (ODT)
  • Atlantis Encrypted Documents (COD)
  • MS Write documents (WRI)
  • Plain text documents (TXT)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
cancelx777

Hey Wolf, what I meant was, you "still" must create the document in another processor, and "then" use one of the suggested programs to make the epub... so in a sense they are still just converters (with re-editing features)
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hey Wolf, what I meant was, you "still" must create the document in another processor, and "then" use one of the suggested programs to make the epub... so in a sense they are still just converters (with re-editing features)
You can use AWP to create the eBook and then export it to ePub. AWP is a Word Processor with the ability to export to ePub. You don't need to use another program.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
cancelx777

Thanks Wolf. I don't get why others were saying there "is no" all in one?

That's what I was looking for a processors that let's you write, and it will do the epub output (WYSIWYG)

Very cool. $30 is nothing if everything is right there for you.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Wolf. I don't get why others were saying there "is no" all in one?

That's what I was looking for a processors that let's you write, and it will do the epub output (WYSIWYG)

Very cool. $30 is nothing if everything is right there for you.
You can type and create in, AWP. There are certain limits in AWP that don't exist in Word, for example, (I think) tables (?). Others here use AWP--I don't--but there are some things that AWP doesn't either create in the word-processing interface, or can't export to ePUB. I don't know that list. However, if you're doing simply-formatted material, like a novel, then, yes, it will work for you. (I think the Wiki has a new-ish review of AWP).

Also: you can't edit the ePUB in AWP. Let's say you export it, and don't like something--you have to go back into AWP and edit that, and re-export it. Remember, this forum isn't like the KDP forums--the folks here are geeky. We all pretty much work in HTML and CSS, so to us, that's a bit kludge-y. That would drive me nuts, but then again, I can quickly fix whatever I don't like in Sigil.

So, that's what this group means when they say, "there's no all-in-one." Word's feature set is more sophisticated than AWP's, and it's easier to use, assuming you understand how it actually works (Styles, Headers, and the like). On the other hand, if you don't want to mess with anything "tecchie," and you don't feel the need to have absolute, minute control over every single technical aspect, then either Jutoh, Scrivener, AWP, will likely work for you as an "all-in-one" solution.

Do you see what I mean? The group here has a very high expectation of being able to control every single aspect, so we all tend to work in code. None of the programs we've discussed here allow you to do that. Right? Probably suit you, given what you've said so far.

Hitch
Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
cancelx777

Thanks Hitch.
Yes, I'm just a simple writer, paper up until this point. Book format is all I need, maybe simple photo additions, but that's it.

I don't mind writing in MS Word and use AWP to do the exporting, I just usually associate that with many formatting glitches to fix, though I could be wrong.

Kindest,
jim

(ps- I gave up being a techie perfectionist when the upgrades left behind, haha)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Thanks Hitch.
Yes, I'm just a simple writer, paper up until this point. Book format is all I need, maybe simple photo additions, but that's it.

I don't mind writing in MS Word and use AWP to do the exporting, I just usually associate that with many formatting glitches to fix, though I could be wrong.

Kindest,
jim

(ps- I gave up being a techie perfectionist when the upgrades left behind, haha)
Dear Jim:

Great, glad it will work for you. The AWP guy has forums on his own website, to help folks, and he responds here, in the ePUB forum, too, I believe, to technical questions, so you should not be alone in the wilderness. ;-)

Also, you might run by CJ Allen's "Easy As Pie" website; I know CJ, and she said some time back that she'd had a special version of AWP created that has an ebook-making template built right into it, and I think that there's even a discount (?--could be wrong) if you buy it through her, or via a referral from her. Either way, you do get the benefit of her template and she's extremely helpful to non-tecchie folks. Give that a look--just google "Easy as Pie," and I think you'll be set to go.

Hitch
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #14
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
cancelx777

As mentioned, epub made by AWP are good, but there is always something that needs to be polished IMO and this is where Sigil can especially be used for.

The latest version (beta) now offers a search regex function (similar to Word I think) which facilitates the cleaning of documents inside AWP.

Anyway, the software can be used for 30 days (trial version) here is a link where you can get it for $ 10.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...rocessor.shtml

PS Hope this help, and I don't work for them!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks Hitch, and all.

Not true for Atlantis read my review in our wiki AWP Review. Atlantis can accept a wide variety of formats for input. And you can start from scratch if you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote