Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #241
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
... there were calls for standardization of filesystem hierarchy. I'm not pushing anybody to discuss this "issue", just mentioning the facts.

I think that famous xkcd comic about standards is pretty applicable here. So it's better for all to leave it as-is.
Even amazon does not follow their own standards. For example, the built-in image viewer for K4 and earlier looks for images (and zip files containing images) in /mnt/us/documents, but on the K5 they changed the image viewer to look for images (and zip files containing images) in /mnt/us/images.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #242
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: It may actually have handled both in FW 2.x/3.x, I remember creating the images folder as being one of the first thing I did with each new Kindles...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-02-2012 at 04:00 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #243
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: It may actually have handled both in FW 2.x/3.x, I remember creating the images folder as being one of the first thing I did with each new Kindles...
I am sure that I tried that on my DX and K3 back during the "comic book" thread fiasco that attracted a disrespectful mob. I will have to try it again...

EDIT: I just moved a .cbz file (zip file full of images) from documents to images on my k3 (fw3.3), and after restart it is not visible. I will try renaming it to a .zip file...

Okay, now a .zip file, reboot, not visible. I will try extracting the individual images now...

I unzipped to .jpg files, then rebooted. Still not visible. It looks like support for /mnt/us/images was removed from the 3.3 (and 2.5.8) firmware.

I have /mnt/us/pictures folders on my older kindles. Is that what you meant? You can put pictures in either /mnt/us/pictures or /mnt/us/documents on the older kindles, but on the K5, they must be in /mnt/us/images or they will not work.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-02-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #244
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@geekmaster: There may have been some trickery involved at some point, where only .zip/.cbz files where picked up in there, and not simple directories, or something...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #245
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@geekmaster: There may have been some trickery involved at some point, where only .zip/.cbz files where picked up in there, and not simple directories, or something...
Hard to remember details from the "olden days" (6 months ago), eh? Too much partying?
Advert
Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #246
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Yeah, and it's been a while since I tried... Pretty sure I did check at one point on 3.3, but I may be wrong... I'll check again next time I dust off my K2/K3 .

EDIT: Ooh, just saw your edit. Yep, I might very well have confused 'pictures' with 'images', my bad... >_<"
Old 06-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #247
Firedb
Enthusiast
Firedb began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 8 rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglerner View Post
A big success deserves a new post!

Installed the (till now) 27 available fonts on Wiki. It took a while but from A to U (Antiqua to Ubuntu) all fonts are working!

You must believe! I did!

It took a while to "Rebuild font cache" but then I "Restart(ed) framework" and voila, my Kindle has the fonts I have chosen.

It was unclear (to me) that I had to initialize each font, one by one, and then apply the "Restart framework", but the older you get, the wiser you become.

So, long story ended , Kindle is f o n t h a c k e d!

ixtab I owe you a beer!

EDIT: I forgot initially to select each font and, doing so, afterwords "Rebuilt font cache" and then "Restart framework".
Hi,
I am having some trouble with this. I have 8 fonts that I wish to check out. I installed the hack okay, then one after the other selected the font, and rebuilt font cache, it took 5-10 mins and listed the 8 fonts, the last word was "succeeded", so I thought it would be okay to restart framework, but I did not just yet as the progress bar was around 80% full, so I waited a little while longer, and after 15 mins nothing changed, so I just touched the restart framework buttom.

Now when I start the font hack in the kindle it just restarts the kindle. I have now uninstalled the font hack, but still have all the folders and files on the kindle (eg, "00-Constani.conf" in the fonthack folder, and "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" in the name of the fonts folder).

Should I have waited a lot longer for the progress bar to fill up completely, is restart framework basically the same as restarting the kindle?
Firedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #248
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Ok, first off, some general clarifications:

- you DO NOT have to rebuild the font cache after each font that you install. It is sufficient to rebuild the cache ONCE after all your changes to the font files.
- you only have to restart the framework ONCE after you re-created the font cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedb View Post
Hi,
I am having some trouble with this. I have 8 fonts that I wish to check out. I installed the hack okay, then one after the other selected the font, and rebuilt font cache, it took 5-10 mins and listed the 8 fonts, the last word was "succeeded", so I thought it would be okay to restart framework, but I did not just yet as the progress bar was around 80% full, so I waited a little while longer, and after 15 mins nothing changed, so I just touched the restart framework buttom.

Now when I start the font hack in the kindle it just restarts the kindle. I have now uninstalled the font hack, but still have all the folders and files on the kindle (eg, "00-Constani.conf" in the fonthack folder, and "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" in the name of the fonts folder).

Should I have waited a lot longer for the progress bar to fill up completely, is restart framework basically the same as restarting the kindle?
Sorry, I don't know which progress bar you are speaking about. The Font Hack does not have any progress bars, and neither do any of its prerequisites.

The only progress bar I can think of is the one of the Kindle when it's booting up. This is a really dumb one, which simply counts up 10% every 2 seconds (or so), but is not related to any actual underlying progress. In other words: The progress bar doesn't mean anything, so don't worry if the Kindle takes longer than the "100%" to start up -- and also don't worry if it already "started up" at 80%. As long as the device works, it's ok.

I have personally also experienced a few times where after startup, the fonts were not the ones that have been assigned using font hack). This was mostly experienced after installing a new update, but in some cases even after a normal reboot. There's really no convincing explanation for this, and simply rebooting (or restarting again via FontHack) restores normal behavior.

Concerning your last question: "Restart framework" (from within FontHack) is almost the same as restarting the Kindle. In layman's words, the former restarts the software components only, while the latter restarts the entire Kindle Operating System (Linux).

So... as to your problem: please try to completely uninstall, then reinstall FontHack according to the instructions. If you keep having problems, please report back here, describing exactly what goes wrong during which stage.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #249
Firedb
Enthusiast
Firedb began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Note 8 rooted
Thanks ixtab. I have started again, and this time only picked half the fonts to transfer. The hack now works and all the fonts on the kindle (including menus) change okay

I got carried away though and changed all of the types: serif, sans, mono and condensed

Which of these types refer to the actual book, and which refer to the kindle menus?
It is okay to have 1 different font for each of the 4 types (I don't know if anybody would want to though)

This is a really great hack now I can get it to work

Last edited by Firedb; 06-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Firedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #250
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Thanks ixtab. I have started again, and this time only picked half the fonts to transfer. The hack now works and all the fonts on the kindle (including menus) change okay

I got carried away though and changed all of the types: serif, sans, mono and condensed

Which of these types refer to the actual book, and which refer to the kindle menus?
Hmmm... I'll answer this here, but will also copy/paste this into the the first post, because it's probably helpful:
  • The Serif (S) font is what is used by default for reading books. This is also the font which is used for displaying the book titles and author names on the Home Screen.
  • The Sans Serif (SS) font is used for displaying the Menu Items. You can also select this font to read books.
  • The Condensed (C) font is only available for reading books, after selecting the appropriate entry ("condensed") in the display configuration dialog.
  • The Monospace (M) font is only shown in rare circumstances, usually when system output is displayed to the user. This includes the "System" pane of FontHack itself, but also some of the hidden shortcuts of the Kindle, or possibly a few specially formatted passages of a book that you're reading.

Quote:
It is okay to have 1 different font for each of the 4 types (I don't know if anybody would want to though)
Sure it is! I've had all 4 fonts replaced as well... but to say the truth, by now, I personally only replace the "condensed" font (with DejaVu Serif Condensed). It's a good font to read, and all the other fonts just keep being reset because I'm constantly tampering around with my device :-)

Quote:
This is a really great hack now I can it to work
Glad it's working for you now...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #251
ztimar
Enthusiast
ztimar began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Thanx Ixtab! I just installed the fonthack and it's working flawlessly. However if I edit a
working font set in High-Logic Font creator and save it as new, for all 4 type and put them in a directory with same name, the font directory on KT will be invalid.
I downloaded the Droid font from this thread upper and it is also invalid. Could it be repaired? All other fonts are working but I'd like to make a little bolder characters, becouse my eyes are not as long-ago...
ztimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #252
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
I dare say above font list is, well, half true.

There are extra 3 sets of fonts, 2 in each set, that used for displaying Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. (and of course code2000 font for whole lot more)

The font hack here seems only changes western fonts Sets. Thus many of us CJK users are not with fortune to be blessed by ixtab's font hack.

I wish there is a feature to set only those Eastern font sets.
Mind you, those 3 font sets are absolutely not compatible with each other, one should be able to change each sets separately, if they are to work properly. It would be nice.

Actually there is a GUI extension that does exactly that, developed by one of our local forum members. Not sure how that works or it's conjunction with ixtab's hack though.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #253
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
does anybody know why all the fonts i have installed save for ubuntu are kinda light in colour and are hard to see.eg georgia 2 and other fonts modified specifically for the kindle touch.Took them from the wiki page.And while touching on fonts like museo,the kindle touch framework simply restarts.I found a kindle modified amasis font on mobileread.as it was only for reading books and not for anything else like the menus,and since fonthack needs 4 fonts for it to work i.e bold,bold italic,etc,i made 4 copies of it and renamed them to amasis bold,amasis italic and so on...It initialized perfectly but whenever i select the amasis font the kindle briefly hangs and then restarts.A bit off topic but does anyone know how to embed fonts and audio in the kf8 format.a calibre plugin or something.
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #254
tol
tol began at the beginning.

Device: KT
Orthodox font - is it possible?

I installed all this stuff (and it works), but I don't know to make KT accept orthodox fonts.

The most commonly used font is:
http://orthonord.ru/fonts/orthodox/ort_tt.zip

Orthodox font cannot be bold or italic, so I copied one provided ttf file to four files:
OrtUCS8 Bold.ttf
OrtUCS8 Bold Italic.ttf
OrtUCS8 Italic.ttf
OrtUCS8 Regular.ttf

And I can see it on the kindle (shows correctly):
http://savepic.su/2135794.htm

But when I touch the font name, the device kind of hangs for about 10 seconds and reboots by itself. Any ideas how to make it work with orthodox fonts? Is it ever possible?
tol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #255
adamselene
Enthusiast
adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.adamselene can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
If file /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS exists, KT uses fonts with families/typefaces:
  • alternate1, alternate2, alternate3 (for firmwares up to 5.1.0)
  • all found (except some stock) (for 5.1.0)
I don't know whether restart of whole framework is needed to handle this file (or it's abscence) or just restart of reader booklet is sufficient, but believe former is true.
I'm trying to use this method, but I must be missing something.

I created /mnt/us/USE_ALT_FONTS as an empty file.

I created /mnt/us/fonts, and put some files in it (from someone else's font package so I knew it was a working font):
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia/Averia Bold Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia/Averia Bold.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia/Averia Italic.ttf
/mnt/us/fonts/Averia/Averia Regular.ttf

I typed ;fc-cache into the search bar.

At this point, opening a book started giving me popups saying "An error has occurred. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete the item and download it from Archived Items.”

I renamed the directory (to “fonts.off”) and rebooted, and it was fine. However, running ;fc-cache even in this state cause it to no longer be able to display books, as above.

What am I missing here?
adamselene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks