Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Chromebook Pro, Note 10 Lite
Long delay for first search?

(Using the latest version of Calibre, 0.8.031, on a Windows 7 x64 computer w/ 6 gigs of ram, large hard drive... about 9,000 books. The only plugin I am using is "Find Duplicates")

I noticed this issue starting with Calibre 0.8.7 (0.8.6 worked fine) – when I open up Calibre, I can use it normally, but the first search that I make into the search box at the top will make the program hang for about 60 seconds, after which the search results will pop up, and any further search will take about 1 second while that same instance of the program is still running. If I close the program and open it again, I will still get that same 60 second lag on first search. Is this normal program behavior for other users? Could there be something wrong with my database? I used the "Check Library" utility, and that finds no errors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
dhume01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhume01 View Post
(Using the latest version of Calibre, 0.8.031, on a Windows 7 x64 computer w/ 6 gigs of ram, large hard drive... about 9,000 books. The only plugin I am using is "Find Duplicates")

I noticed this issue starting with Calibre 0.8.7 (0.8.6 worked fine) – when I open up Calibre, I can use it normally, but the first search that I make into the search box at the top will make the program hang for about 60 seconds, after which the search results will pop up, and any further search will take about 1 second while that same instance of the program is still running. If I close the program and open it again, I will still get that same 60 second lag on first search. Is this normal program behavior for other users? Could there be something wrong with my database? I used the "Check Library" utility, and that finds no errors.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Not normal. Even on a lowly P4 (XP SP3).
It may be your Anti-virus scanning on first search.

Get Sysinternals 'Process Explorer' from the Microsoft (teknet) site, That should let you see what grabs CPU cycles when you do that first search.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
It may be an issue with power setup for your harddisk. I have 5 disks in my system and they shut down if there are not in use. What happen some times as well on my main drive because of huge ram. The wake up takes some seconds, but 60 sec are quite a lot.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #4
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
two things:
1) do you have several hundred (or thousand) books/documents/etc in your library?
2) when you do a search are you doing a column-limited search (ie: |title:"Some Book"|, or |authors:"Some Author"|), or are you doing a general search, just typing in keywords into the search bar?

If the answers to these question are "Yes" and "The latter", then it's a problem I have, too. I get around it by doing column specific searches.
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
dhume01
Connoisseur
dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhume01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Not normal. Even on a lowly P4 (XP SP3).
It may be your Anti-virus scanning on first search.

Get Sysinternals 'Process Explorer' from the Microsoft (teknet) site, That should let you see what grabs CPU cycles when you do that first search.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to take a look at it when I get back to my home computer.
I don't think it's CPU related though, the program hangs but the rest of the computer functions normally. I get the feeling that the hard drive is working, like it's building or indexing the database each time....
Advert
Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
dhume01
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
two things:
1) do you have several hundred (or thousand) books/documents/etc in your library?
2) when you do a search are you doing a column-limited search (ie: |title:"Some Book"|, or |authors:"Some Author"|), or are you doing a general search, just typing in keywords into the search bar?

If the answers to these question are "Yes" and "The latter", then it's a problem I have, too. I get around it by doing column specific searches.
Yes & the latter.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
If you have custom columns built from other columns, the first time you sort/search on one they all have to be evaluated for every book, which can easily take a minute or two.

Also -- though this isn't really connected with the behavior you're describing, you might want to limit what columns are searched when you do a general search, particularly if you don't need to search the comments field. Preferences.Searching

Last edited by capnm; 12-20-2011 at 05:39 PM.
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
dhume01
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
If you have custom columns built from other columns, the first time you sort/search on one they all have to be evaluated for every book, which can easily take a minute or two.

Also -- though this isn't really connected with the behavior you're describing, you might want to limit what columns are searched when you do a general search, particularly if you don't need to search the comments field. Preferences.Searching
Yes!!! Checking the box "Limit the searched metadata", and limiting the columns searched to title, authors, tags, series, & publisher made all the difference. Now the searches are instantaneous. Awesome! It's not hard to imagine that the comments section was slowing it down...
Thanks everyone!