Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Books in Parallel?
No, I read one book at a time. When I finish/give-up, I start another book. 55 33.74%
I mostly have 2-3 books going at a time. 75 46.01%
I often have 4-5 books going at a time. 29 17.79%
I frequently have 6+ books going at a time. 4 2.45%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Reading Books in Parallel

Do you read more than one book at a time? Well, not AT A TIME, but do you have multiple books going on at once, or do you read one book, finish, start another, rinse repeat? POLL!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I tend to prefer reading one at a time, because otherwise I get wrapped up in one and forget about the other. I do have two books going at the moment, technically. Me and my girlfriend were reading Koontz's Lightning out loud to eachother, but we got wrapped up in the A Song of Ice and Fire books, and when we read, we've been reading those quietly, and then discussing what we read.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I mostly have 2-3 books going at a time (which is what I voted). Sometimes 4.

Reasons: I have a regular reader, a comics reader, and a "gym/pool" reader and I usually have a book going on each. Sometimes I have another book going so that I have fiction and non-fiction to read.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Right now I've got 4 books that I'm reading actively. Though, I do have to confess that the Liaden Universe stories are taking up most of the reading time.

I normally have at least for 4 going, as my feelings/concentration level/time of day /whatever changes.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I usually have several books going on non-fiction(investment/psyc/self-improvement), history, bio, philosophy and leisure.

To read some of the non-fiction I really need to have some time on my hand, but reading leisure books I can use TTS or pick up a few min here and there.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I used to have more than 6 going at at time with pbooks.

With an ereader I usually have one. I sometimes switch books and will probably go back to the one I have switched from, but usually not soon enough to say I am reading both.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I only read one book at a time for leisure, but there usually is a second (technical stuff) book I alternate with my leisure reading.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm usually reading three or four which wasn't a choice, so I opted for 4-5 in the poll. Five is a little on the high side; that's the point where too much is going on and I don't feel as if I'm keeping up with all the books. I'm relieved when it drops down to four. Two, on the other hand, isn't enough to serve for variations in interest, mental acuity, and energy.

EReading didn't change me, it just made it easier to shift among books.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I love Hellmark's comment about reading to his girlfriend. I just can't imagine doing such a thing. Although, she once gave me a book on business, had me read it, and then tell her what it said. But, that was just because she didn't want to read it.

BTW, I'm a one book at a time guy.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I always have at least 4 to 7 books going on at one time.
Most are of a different theme. I get in moods where I want to read a historical or paranormal book and then there are times when I want to read a suspense or heartwarming type of book.

One time I read a chapter from each book then went back and read another chapter from each book till one hooked me in. It was kind of like flipping through TV channels looking for something to watch.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I only read one book at a time for leisure, but there usually is a second (technical stuff) book I alternate with my leisure reading.
Yair what you said.

The pleasure book is usually on the reader and the techo book is usually a big heavy pbook.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #12
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I marked 2 to 3. Depends on the book(s) I'm reading. Sometimes I get bored for awhile with one book and move to another. Sometimes, it's because I want to delay the end of a novel.

Lots of reasons.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Do you read more than one book at a time? Well, not AT A TIME, but do you have multiple books going on at once, or do you read one book, finish, start another, rinse repeat? POLL!
I'm actually in-between options 1 & 2.

It all depends on what I'm reading. Sometimes I concentrate on one book, and other times I'll read two. My attempts at 3 have failed so far, so I do not see myself reading any more than 2 at a time.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I voted 4-5. I like to read a combo of classic and modern fiction as well as nonfiction. I like to mix it up between light and heavy reading depending on my mood or location, especially now since it's summer and I've been spending time by the pool. I've always been that way. I used to have a hard-time avoiding the fancy, pretty bookmarks in the checkout line at the bookstore because I had justification to use them. An ereader just makes it that much easier to switch between multiple books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
In the other thread, someone mentioned audiobooks, and I always have one of them going. Right now I'm listening to The Time Travelers Wife.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote