Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
aidren
Edge User

Workflow/Productivity with the eDGe

Quote Originally Posted by StevenP on another thread
Quote:
.... (I'm a Systems Architect but I still just like to call myself a programmer) and some of the technical docs and specs can get huge. I have around 15 development books on here so far ... , PDF print outs for tech and requirement specs, web pages, etc. and I love it for taking notes during meetings.
Steven, I would like to know more about how you utilize the eDGe for your work. How you work with it. How you handle the annotations/notes, how you manage them between your desktop and permanent files and your eDGe, etc. How you cope with the loss of bookmarks/annotations when crossing over. If you are willing.

Last edited by aidren; 04-24-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
StevenP
Edge User

I am going to echo Boris on this. I like using it for printed documents whether it be technical web pages, tutorials, or documents from work. I use the free Bullzip printer driver (http://www.bullzip.com/) which will output your print to a PDF document. It works great for me. I just make sure I set the default DPI high enough.

I get a lot of business and techinical requirement documents that I need to reference as I am working and in meetings (I have tons of them lately). I can carry them all on the Edge (or, at least I am in the transition of doing moving them over). It has alleviated me from needing to carry piles of papers (which I use to do) and pads of paper.

I have several (around 15) development books on here as well. The physical books are usually quite large so it is nice to cary the library around with me. I also like highlighting and writing notes (and circling) bits of information.

Lastly, I use it for note taking during meetings. I have several journals (including one just for doodling ) This way I can keep them organized and I don't have to worry about losing bits of information I've written down I've wanted to remember. It really works out well for me. One thing I accidently did at first was shut the Edge down before I saved. Now I am much more cautious.

I don't have access to wireless at my work due to company restrictions (my laptop does but the Edge doesn't). Understandable since we deal with insurance companies and their information and have higher security restrictions than, perhaps, other businesses.

I also use it at home to read books and browse the internet and email while reading. I hope to do a mini-review of the device (Pro's and Con's) soon and post it on this forum. One thing I can say is, I really would like apps that can utilize the Edge for what it is. I can't wait until the SDK comes.

Last edited by StevenP; 04-24-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
StevenP
Edge User

I forgt to mention, I usually just transfer PDF's using the SD card. My work laptop has an SD slot built-in so I just swap that around to move my documents. I may stop this method and try using a mini-USB and mounting it to the PC instead. I'd like to try that instead and see if it any better.

For books I buy from Entourage I just download at home using the WiFi. Others that I buy from Manning (http://www.manning.com/) or O'Reilly I just copy onto the SD card. I generally add them to the library so i can keep the notes I make. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon so the SD card and just as usefull as the internal memory.