Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #1
jr!
jr! began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Using only the coverting features of Calibre

Hi folks,
my apologies if this has been answered already, I couldn't find it.

I dislike using programs to "manage" my media, be it iTunes for my music, or Picassa for my photos, I'm capable of doing it myself.
On that note, I like the converting features of Calibre, but do not wish to use the library management functionality.
Is there a way to do this?
jr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Import to library, convert, export (save to disk), delete from library. Or use the command line tools (ebook-convert is the one you want).
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I only used Calibre to convert, until very recently (about when some, for me, very important updates were done). My big friend was "ebook-convert". I actually hadn't looked beyond that for a long time. And for converting, I still never use the GUI, but only the command-line tool.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Though some user's choose to do it, the problem with ebook-convert from the command line is there are literally dozens of arguments that could/should be passed to it to do a proper conversion. The GUI does this automatically for the most part, whereas for the CLI you need to explore a lot of docs to find all the settings you'll need.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Though some user's choose to do it, the problem with ebook-convert from the command line is there are literally dozens of arguments that could/should be passed to it to do a proper conversion. The GUI does this automatically for the most part, whereas for the CLI you need to explore a lot of docs to find all the settings you'll need.
Yes, but still, it's the only way to really use only the convert feature.
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
However good Calibre may be, it's never perfect. I will never trust an automated process to create a perfectly generated document, especially if that comes from a source that may or may not be perfectly generated. So, a manual check I find mandatory anyway.

Besides, I only use it to convert my LIT and MOBI files to HTML, so I can reformat that for my MOBI, EPUB and PDF files...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
However good Calibre may be, it's never perfect. I will never trust an automated process to create a perfectly generated document, especially if that comes from a source that may or may not be perfectly generated. So, a manual check I find mandatory anyway.
The CLI is neither more nor less automated than the GUI, it's only that the GUI has some commonly used options pre-set.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Besides, I only use it to convert my LIT and MOBI files to HTML, so I can reformat that for my MOBI, EPUB and PDF files...
You have recognised that One Size Rarely Fits All.

Time and again, I see users here, want to slam thousands of books through a Bulk convert and then complain loudly that they look like a Midden Heap .

Each book (or series) deserves TLC in fine tuning the convert.
Of course, nothing beats starting with a clean source
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote