Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Word Wrap and Creating Line breaks for paragraphs?

I got a Kindle DX for Christmas. Great gadget. I was told to install Calibre to help manage subscriptions and to work with book importing.

I am a complete newbie to this sort of thing, so please excuse me if I'm asking the obvious.

I have a few LIT files that I want to convert to MOBI format and then to import into the Kindle. However, there are problems with how the words line wrap.

eg:

the quick brown fox jumped
over
the lazy dog so often that it
annoyed
the dog which then ate the fox.

If I turn the Kindle onto Landscape mode (auto orientation) then it displays OK. But in portrait mode it looks as shown above.

Second issue:

Some files, particularly txt (text) ones don't have any paragraphs. ie. they're all one long blob of text. Is there any trick to creating paragraphs, or do I just have to live with it?

Thanks.

Martin
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Some files, particularly txt (text) ones don't have any paragraphs. ie. they're all one long blob of text. Is there any trick to creating paragraphs, or do I just have to live with it?
In the TXT conversion settings try the option to treat each line as a paragraph. Or the print formatted paragraphs option. It will depend on how your TXT file structures paragraphs. Upcoming (can't say which version as of yet) versions will have the ability to auto detect the paragraph structure so you don't have to worry about it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
I have a few LIT files that I want to convert to MOBI format and then to import into the Kindle. However, there are problems with how the words line wrap.
When converting lit files that have hard breaks like the one you describe you must go to the Structure detection area of conversion (see attached) and enable preprocessing of the input file.

Quote:
When converting text to Mobi if the default conversion doesn't work you will have to choose one of the other options in the text input area (see attached). If you hover over the options a tool tip will pop up informing you about each option. Also see this area of the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	structure detection.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	64014   Click image for larger version

Name:	textinput.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	64015  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-03-2011 at 07:00 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Thanks for the help, folks. The word wrap problem seems to be fixed under the structure menu options suggested here.

Just need to work on txt input. I get varying results based on the above suggestions.

One issue is that there are footers or headers, I'm not sure which, that have the book title and supposedly the page number in that line. They appear at different places in the book as I read it.

I've tried a copy/replace in Notepad but for some reason they aren't all the same. Remove header/footer options don't work, and I'm not familar with how those "regex" formulas work to identify and to remove them.

But, I'll keep on plugging at it.

Thanks again for your assistance. It's appreciated.

Martin
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote