Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
How can the developers of such mind-boggling communcations devices as ereaders be so equally mind-bogglingly dumb when it comes to actually communicating? The mind ... well ... it's boggled. Neil
I agree Neil.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The answer they gave seems to say that you can lend the book out once and then NEVER loan it out again. However, I still think Phenomshel is right and that I've just been getting bad info from B&N so far. Once I get a definitive answer, I will post it here.
boy, if the answer really is that it can only be loaned at once, it gives a whole new meaning to the concept of having made some bad Nookie decisions in your past
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #18
pitcher23
Zealot
pitcher23 began at the beginning.

Does anyone know if the newspaper subscriptions are similar to the Kindle, where one subscribes to individual papers, or if they are going the Newspapers Direct route, like the Irex Digital Reader and DR800, where you pay a monthly fee and can read from hundreds of different papers?

I didn't see any papers or magazines in the B&N store, just ebooks.

I have seen this question asked over on the Nook blog, but no answers, so I was hoping someone here knows.
pitcher23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
It has been confirmed by B&N -- you can lend a book out once. You cannot relend it to the same person. You cannot relend it to another person. You can NEVER relend a book.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #20
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Wow the lending thing is very misleading.

I am also curious to know whether the Nook is compatible with Overdrive ebooks.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
looks like they locked all the topics pertaining to ebook prices...
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:
It has been confirmed by B&N -- you can lend a book out once. You cannot relend it to the same person. You cannot relend it to another person. You can NEVER relend a book.
Its still a better deal than what Kindle has to offer.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #23
zorro18
zorro18 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
If they allow multiple lends, the publishers and authors will have cardiac arrests!
zorro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
just how is that? You can have a book on up to as many as six devices registered to your account. I would rather share an account setup just for my friends with Kindles than what appears to be a "lending" policy designed to prey upon the common sense assumptions of people due to the Amazon policy and, I just learned, the Sony multiple device policy as well. Add to that Sony's library deal and B&N is more disappointing every day.

I hope it is a typo by B&N, but to be honest, we are talking about a multi-BILLION DOLLAR company, so there is ZERO excuse for such a gaff. Next this issue was uncovered in a matter of a few hours (I bet it was less than an hour really) a bunch of folks posting to an online forum or twenty, dressed in our underwear, or less...and I am not saying that as a derogatory comment about folks here, but rather I am disparaging the way these companies are run today. The combined knowledge of the users here seems to dwarf the knowledge of this market and how things work, compared to that of the 1000s of employees of the MULTI-BILLION-DOLLAR AmeriEuroCorp...that is the joke.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
just how is that? You can have a book on up to as many as six devices registered to your account. I would rather share an account setup just for my friends with Kindles than what appears to be a "lending" policy designed to prey upon the common sense assumptions of people due to the Amazon policy and, I just learned, the Sony multiple device policy as well. Add to that Sony's library deal and B&N is more disappointing every day.

I hope it is a typo by B&N, but to be honest, we are talking about a multi-BILLION DOLLAR company, so there is ZERO excuse for such a gaff. Next this issue was uncovered in a matter of a few hours (I bet it was less than an hour really) a bunch of folks posting to an online forum or twenty, dressed in our underwear, or less...and I am not saying that as a derogatory comment about folks here, but rather I am disparaging the way these companies are run today. The combined knowledge of the users here seems to dwarf the knowledge of this market and how things work, compared to that of the 1000s of employees of the MULTI-BILLION-DOLLAR AmeriEuroCorp...that is the joke.
If you want to share the account the eReader format used by B&N has unlimited sharing. Why limit yourself to 6? Of course, this is likely a copyright violation to proved multiple eBooks at once to everybody. By the DRM does not limit you, only the law does.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 10-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
Any word if Overdrive content is going to work on this? If it doesn't I will have to cancel my pre-order. I was thinking it would since it is supporting pdf and epub documents.
Yes, ePub from the library should work since it supports ADE. All it needs is a working clock.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #27
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
Quote:
just how is that? You can have a book on up to as many as six devices registered to your account.
I don't think 'better' is the right term, I think its just different from the Kindle version of lending.

In the Kindle you can share between any six devices registered to the same account, right? For a family all sharing a single Amazon account, that would be the best case. But the Kindle owner can meet new Kindle owner while sitting in Starbucks and lend him/her a book.

You could lend a perfect stranger Nook owner a book (except that it appears that would be spending your single 'lend' of that ebook). But it provides a capability Kindle doesn't while missing out on the family lending capability Kendle provides.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I don't think 'better' is the right term, I think its just different from the Kindle version of lending.

In the Kindle you can share between any six devices registered to the same account, right? For a family all sharing a single Amazon account, that would be the best case. But the Kindle owner can meet new Kindle owner while sitting in Starbucks and lend him/her a book.

You could lend a perfect stranger Nook owner a book (except that it appears that would be spending your single 'lend' of that ebook). But it provides a capability Kindle doesn't while missing out on the family lending capability Kendle provides.
but that would be Nookie on a first date!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #29
hear
hear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Nook Lending

Hmm. The library does this with overdrive. What is the differance? I won't buy one until that fix that mess. I currently have a amazon reader and this single feature would have switched me over to B&N. No questions asked..
We can lend paper books more than once should be no differance. (other than greed.) Yes I realize you can share faster and make sure you get your book but really what is the differance? People think because it is electronic (cheaper to produce by the way) We have to protect it more.

They should come up with a better model..

How about totally free books with advertisers in the bottom touch screen or top of screen while you read.

What you say this can't be done Ask Google they have made a fortune giving stuff away.

Think of how many advertisements they could put on a screen small out of the way that you would see all the time and it not even bother you.(Just no animation)Like a ford,chevy,sprint logo that you could click on. They could pay the publishers for the content or profit sharing of the book that is read. I say this would be a win win situation. Best of all it could be done on every reader. (You could also do a paid version if someone didnt want the ads)

Oh if I only had money to create this!!!
hear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #30
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
Quote:

OK tell the forum what Kindle has to offer as compared to the Nook...your all hype and type
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote