Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #31
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer
Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire, Nook, HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Matthew:

Yeah, AZW3 isn't supported in any event for intake. This is a Calibre-ization thing.

Just to confirm, your issue (we've seen other font issues recently, which is why I'm asking this) is that once unpacked, even in the kindlegensrc.zip file, the font files are actually GONE, is that correct? Not simply not displaying?

Hitch
My issue is that every method I use results in a perfectly formatted file up until I upload to KDP, at which point the fonts are non-existant. I can take the Kindle Previewer generated file and open it up. Inside are the fonts. However, when I take the KDP generated file, they simply do not exist in the FOnts folder.
Mathew Reuther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Reuther View Post
My issue is that every method I use results in a perfectly formatted file up until I upload to KDP, at which point the fonts are non-existant. I can take the Kindle Previewer generated file and open it up. Inside are the fonts. However, when I take the KDP generated file, they simply do not exist in the FOnts folder.
Matthew:

Simply clarifying: you say that "inside are the fonts," so you mean, when you unpack the post Step-6 mobi, the preview mobi, the fonts are inside the kindlegensrc.zip file, right? But that they will not display, no matter what? Correct?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #33
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer
Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Mathew Reuther can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

A Step 6 mobi has two directories and one zip file in the root. The two directories are (afaik) what is ready by the reader. The mobi8 directory is what the kf8 viewers look at. Inside that directory, there is a fonts folder. That folder is empty.

But in answer to your question, no, the fonts are not inside of the kindlegen source zip either. I hadn't looked there, but in the step 6 file, they're absent.

So if I generate a file on my local machine and I look inside the mobi8 or the zip file, the font files exist where they should, in the fonts directory.

This is no longer true after upload and reacquisition of the file via KDP.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
mmdigitalconnect
mmdigitalconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
It is only when I get to the step of pulling the file back down from KDP that the fonts have magically disappeared
Matt

You must convert your book using KindleGen command line instead of previewer. In both case, it will embed font.

But after uploading to KDP;

- mobi file that convert with Kindle previewer will get font removed
- mobi file that convert with KindleGen command line will not get font removed

But sadly, what I found was

font-family were strip off in CSS like this;

p {
margin:0;
padding:0;
border-width:0;

}

font-family was coded as per below; before uploading to KDP

p {
font-family: "yourfont";
}

Last edited by mmdigitalconnect; 07-20-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: obfuscated to removed
mmdigitalconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #35
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdigitalconnect View Post
Matt

You must convert your book using KindleGen command line instead of previewer. In both case, it will embed font.
I'll run it through the command line as a test right now.

[EDIT]

There is no difference. The results are identical to running the file through the Kindle Previewer. The file works fine locally, but the fonts are stripped after upload to KDP.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Always good to cover all bases.

[END EDIT]

Quote:
font-family was coded as per below; before uploading to KDP

p {
font-family: "yourfont";
}
Perhaps you are having difficulty because this is against Kindle guidelines. You cannot specify a font in your default p declaration. You have to specify it in the body, or in a p class.

Last edited by Mathew Reuther; 07-20-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #36
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer

And as a note, font obfuscation actually refers to encryption of a font. That is a step taken after the file is sent into publication mode. Sending obfuscated fonts through to KDP will always result in a fail for this reason.

Just thought I might mention that the word you chose has specific meaning where embedded fonts are concerned, and though I understood you meant "removed/suppressed" it could read as confusing for others.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #37
mmdigitalconnect
mmdigitalconnect began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
I'll run it through the command line as a test right now.

[EDIT]

There is no difference. The results are identical to running the file through the Kindle Previewer. The file works fine locally, but the fonts are stripped after upload to KDP.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Always good to cover all bases.

[END EDIT]

Can you try converting not from epub file directly but from opf with KindleGen command line?

Converting from epub give you 3 files which are same as epub out put
but from opf , you will get 5 folders and 1 file. (css, html, image, misc, xml ) + content.opf .
mmdigitalconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdigitalconnect View Post
Can you try converting not from epub file directly but from opf with KindleGen command line?

Converting from epub give you 3 files which are same as epub out put
but from opf , you will get 5 folders and 1 file. (css, html, image, misc, xml ) + content.opf .
In our experiements, there is no difference whatsoever with a file generated from the KindleGen command line versus a file generated with Previewer, in terms of what's created, etc. We have one crew that works from KG and one from KP. The output files are identical and perform identically at KDP.

Font obfuscation is unrelated to this particular discussion.

Hitch
Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #39
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
In our experiements, there is no difference whatsoever with a file generated from the KindleGen command line versus a file generated with Previewer, in terms of what's created, etc. We have one crew that works from KG and one from KP. The output files are identical and perform identically at KDP.
This has been my operating premise. I use the Previewer (Amazon actually has that "recommendation" somewhere, or did when I was looking at book coding) as it's slightly more user friendly (It has a GUI, after all) and allows me to easily flip through the various platform mockups to see if I have any issues.

But I did check the KGen command line to see if it changed anything in my case. It does not. Now, that's not to say that there could never be an issue (I have been around enough software development to know sometimes there's a bad commit and it causes issues in two similar products) but in this instance there does not seem to have been.

As for the suggestion regarding the naked opf, that's outside my understanding of how things work. It's also not using KGen as specified. (KGen does .html and .epub by the manual.) As a result it's not an experiment I am capable of conducting, nor one I see as relevant to the problem at hand.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
As for the suggestion regarding the naked opf, that's outside my understanding of how things work. It's also not using KGen as specified. (KGen does .html and .epub by the manual.) As a result it's not an experiment I am capable of conducting, nor one I see as relevant to the problem at hand.
You're right that it's probably not relevant to your issue, but you (or anyone) is quite capable of conducting the experiment. Kindlegen (or Previewer) works with OPF files just fine to build Kindlebooks--has for a long time. As long as the all the links in the OPF are valid (relative to where the rest of the ebook's html, css, ...etc, files are), just drop the OPF file onto Previewer or Kindlegen and it will build the Kindlebook.

'Course it's just as easy (if not easier) to use the ePub if that's what you're working with, but the process works equally well when feeding KGen an OPF file that points to the rest of the ebook's resources.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Don't use hyphens in your font names. In fact use the same font name in your @font-face rule as is used in the font itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 AM   #42
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Don't use hyphens in your font names. In fact use the same font name in your @font-face rule as is used in the font itself.
This may be good form (I have no idea if it is or isn't, as I've seen what seem to be perfectly legitimate code examples with hypens) but in any case it has made no difference to the bug I am experiencing. Some of the fonts I have used have had no hyphens or underscores. They have still not worked.

(In fact, one of the actual fonts I want to use is a one word font. So that one has been tested extensively.)
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #43
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use the same font name in your @font-face rule as is used in the font itself
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #44
Mathew Reuther
SpecFic Writer

Quote:
Again, thank you, but that does nothing to solve this error.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #45
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Kovid:

It's not the font names nor the font-face calls nor spaces nor hyphens. I am tracking it down and I think I have it, but it's none of the above. Above and beyond Mathew's issue of the past 3 months or however long, Amazon's changes this past week have created other issues vis-a-vis fonts that started showing up at the end of the week (Friday-ish). We've been working on this since then, utterly coincidental to me seeing Mathew's post late Thursday and trying to assist him at that time.

For other posters: it's not a CL KG build versus a GUI build versus dropping the OPF on KG or CL'ing the OPF via KG. All results are the same. And I have to admit, if making a book with KG somehow makes a different book than Previewer, I've never seen it, no matter how many mobis I've unpacked.

A few more tests and we'll know, at least about the current Amazon font issue. I don't know if it will solve Mathew's problem, as his seems to stem back somewhat further than the current matter, which definitely came into existence this week while Amazon was "helping" its customers more. (I know I have a mini-rant somewhere from this past week on this very topic...the ever-changing landscape. {SIGH} Anyone here run into the new NookPress "helpfulness" of swapping out your perfectly good epub stylesheet for their OWN, and rebuilding your ePUBS??????).

Hitch