Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #91
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Dune!! Dune!! Dune!! When reading CF it is normally technology that has advanced. In Dune it is people. IMHO Herbert is to CF what Tolkien to fantasy.

Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Definitely the first book is awesome. The 2nd is not so good but closes the circle. The following two are disappointing.

A little hidden jewel: "Armor" by John Steakley. It definitely smacks of "Starship Troopers", but focused in two separate characters that live two separate stories. I love this dark desperate book. Steakley also wrote Vampire$, which is not that hot. The movie is pitiful.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #92
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Dune!! Dune!! Dune!! When reading CF it is normally technology that has advanced. In Dune it is people. IMHO Herbert is to CF what Tolkien to fantasy.
What is "CF"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 AM   #93
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I love Alan Dean Foster and his Flinx books and The Last Starfighter. Great stuff!

You know, I am a simple guy and I love my little evasions to worlds far, far away, full of wonders and adventures where you might be a hero without embarassing yourself too much. And Alan Dean Foster delivers.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-15-2008 at 07:42 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:43 AM   #94
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Flinx books were great in the beginning, but the last few are getting boring with all his "detours".
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #95
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is "CF"?
CF = Ciencia Ficción = Science Fiction = SF

Sorry
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #96
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
CF = Ciencia Ficción = Science Fiction = SF

Sorry
Thanks .
Old 11-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #97
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I am finally reading Glen Cooks's Black Company-books and I am halfway into the second one and I really like them. A lot of friends have recommended them for years and it seems it was a good recommendation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #98
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll chime in here with the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Very funny and very enjoyable.
I couldn't "read" them, but they are delightful in audio book format.

Quote:
I definitely agree. Dune is a must-read and then keep reading in the series until you feel saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I love Alan Dean Foster and his Flinx books and The Last Starfighter. Great stuff!
Again, I'll agree. The Flinx books are delightful.

I recently bought all of Elizabeth Moon's Herris Serrano series from Baen/Webscriptions. Although I had read them before, I'm having a grand time with the re-read. Moon has very strong female characters and the political environment is intriguing. The first three books (Hunting Party, Sporting Chance, and Winning Colors) are available in an omnibus edition named Herris Serrano, which is priced at $4.00. If you like the series, the next two books (Once a Hero and Rules of Engagement) are available in an omnibus edition called The Serrano Connection, priced at $6.00 (as opposed to $4.00 each) and the omnibus edition is packaged with 6 other novels in the August 2002 or October 2008 Webscription bundles priced at $15.00. (The 6 other novels are different in these two bundles.) Similar deals are available for the final two books in the series.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 AM   #99
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I recently bought all of Elizabeth Moon's Herris Serrano series from Baen/Webscriptions. Although I had read them before, I'm having a grand time with the re-read.
It is a good series, I agree with you.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #100
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
Okay, I give up... I originally posted to the wrong thread, and then recommended something that had already been mentioned. I need a coffee!

Last edited by AlexC; 11-19-2008 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Lack of caffeine
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 AM   #101
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
Samit Basu

I recommend 'The Gameworld Trilogy' by Samit Basu. I dont know if its available across the world (the version I have is published by an Indian book house).
Its a comic mishmash which owes references to Terry Pratchett, The Ramayana and the Mahabharata and many other series.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #102
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Here's where there are disagreements amongst people on what they like. Alan Dean Foster is not a favorite of mine. I feel that his characters often do something for no apparent reason and the actions are not explained, nor have anything to do with advancing the plot. That drives me, personally, to distraction. Yet, I know lots of people who just love his stuff.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #103
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
Okay, I give up... I originally posted to the wrong thread, and then recommended something that had already been mentioned. I need a coffee!
Actually I don't think it's such a bad thing. Personally, when going over recommendations threads I will first check out books that get more than one vote...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:10 AM   #104
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Here's where there are disagreements amongst people on what they like. Alan Dean Foster is not a favorite of mine. I feel that his characters often do something for no apparent reason and the actions are not explained, nor have anything to do with advancing the plot. That drives me, personally, to distraction. Yet, I know lots of people who just love his stuff.
TOTALLY off-topic ......

I love your avatar. I'm a big fan of Henk Kuijpers and the Franka series.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #105
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
TOTALLY off-topic ......

I love your avatar. I'm a big fan of Henk Kuijpers and the Franka series.
I thought it was a Betty and Veronica panel. Actually, I just chose it becasue of the on-going Vera and Harv Saga in the Naming e-reader devices thread. (The llounge llamas have a hard time sticking to just one topic.)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote