Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #76
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Anne McCaffery/Tolkien copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
old after that)
I've enjoyed and am finishing Christoper Paolini's Inheritance series (Eragon et al) Fictionwise have a 40% of sale on the 3. But only in DRM'ed versions, and it still means its about $12 for the latest one.

Ross
I actually did not make it through Eragon, I thought I would like it, but to me it felt like it was a McCaffery/Tolkien copy. It definately felt like his writing was VERY heavily influenced by their work. But if you have not read the Pern Series by Anne McCaffery then Inheritance Series would prolly work just fine for you.

Though I have to admit to liking the movie.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I actually did not make it through Eragon, I thought I would like it, but to me it felt like it was a McCaffery/Tolkien copy. It definately felt like his writing was VERY heavily influenced by their work. But if you have not read the Pern Series by Anne McCaffery then Inheritance Series would prolly work just fine for you.

Though I have to admit to liking the movie.

Amy
According to what others who have read Eragon and seen the movie, the movie was not all that wonderful. But once I get around to reading Eragon, I'll find out. I have seen the movie and it did seem a bit lightweight for such a long book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #78
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've now finished Eragon and seen the movie.. and honestly, the movie does leave stuff out.. but the stuff it has in seems to be faithful to the counterparts in the book.

I really don't think the extra stuff the book gives you makes the story "better" or more compelling.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #79
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
As somebody already mentioned, I would strongly suggest Dune by Frank Herbert. Not all of them and not the more recent ones by Kevin Anderson, as the direction is slightly different. The first three are ok, in particular Dune itself is masterpiece.
I second the Hyperion mention.
Nobody ever mentioned Greg Bear and its Eon series ? They are something really unusual. And very good, at least according to me.
On fantasy, I personally treasure most of the Pratchett Discworld. Not all of them, but they are usually higher than average.

I might advice Kim Harrison and the Hollows series, it really captures your attention, but I do not know whther to call it fantasy

There are oh so many. I believe there is somewhere (maybe some magazine like Locus) a list of the best 100 books. That could be a good place to look at.

From Simak's books City is nice as well.

How to forget the basics, though, (so you understand where SF/Fantasy comes from) like Burroughs, E.E. Smith (these people works are all in the mobileread library), again not all of them, but the first, just to give you a glimpse of how it all started.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #80
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Have alook at these links, for example.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersy...oks_rank1.html

After that, there is much to say for tastes. As they differ, so the list may change also dramatically.

Cheers
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2008, 12:24 AM   #81
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I would recommend Mary Gentle's Book Of Ash. It's about (among other things) a female mercenary in 15th century Burgundy whose memoirs are discovered in the near future.
Sometimes it's published as four separate books: A Secret History, Carthage Ascendant, The Wild Machines, and Lost Burgundy.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #82
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
As do I, and I'll toss in _The Goblin Reservation_ Gotta love a book where the English Department at a University is peeved at the Deaprtment of Time Travel, which has not only proved that Shakespeare didn't write the plays attributed to him, but brought Will himself forward in time to lecture about it.

______
Dennis
"The Goblin Reservation" .... Forgot about that - and yes - it is a classic. Must hunt around and see if I still have a copy..

The Stainless Steel Rat "Missing Battleship" is also at Manybooks.net.

(and Fictionwise for a buck or so..)

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:20 AM   #83
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Forgotten Realms books by R. A. Salvatore are very nice. Reading the Dark Elf trilogy now and I like it.
I think these books are a nice start to read fantasy.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll chime in here with the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Very funny and very enjoyable.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:48 AM   #85
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'll chime in here with the Myth series by Robert Asprin. Very funny and very enjoyable.
I second that! And in the same sort of "zany" fantasy I would recomend Craig Shaw Gardners books about Ebenezum and Wuntvor. Been a few years since I read these, but I remember them fondly....
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:52 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
I second that! And in the same sort of "zany" fantasy I would recomend Craig Shaw Gardners books about Ebenezum and Wuntvor. Been a few years since I read these, but I remember them fondly....
I'll second those as well. I did read them and rather enjoyed them.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #87
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
The Hyperion Series by Dan Simmons
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #88
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
To wander down another alley or 2.

Orson Scott Card - the Prentice Alvin series. (Although I never quite finished all the series - the first 3 were very good).

Katherine Kurtz - the Deryni series (only on DRM'ed ebook at Fictionwise - I have the paper versions).

Merlins Ring and Merlins Godson by H Warner Munn (good luck finding copies of that...)

Michael Moorcock - the original Elric of Menibone (I can't put in the accent ) He got a little widespread later with his Eternal Champion expansion of the idea..

Fritz Leiber - especially anything with Fahfrd and the Gray Mouser (Lankhmar series).

Brian Jacques (I enjoyed all of the Redwall series - even if they are completely illogical - they are individually good yarns), and also his Flying Dutchman pair of books.

That'll do (and looky - I see Goblin Reservation in the Bookcase )

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:45 PM   #89
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
I second the Hyperion mention.
Nobody ever mentioned Greg Bear and its Eon series ? They are something really unusual. And very good, at least according to me.
Thirded. Fouthed.

Seconded.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:42 AM   #90
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
I really liked the fantasy-books of Carol Berg.
Only the latest two are available as e-books and those are just the two I haven't read (yet)

But for p-book starters I recommend the stand alone 'Song of the Beast'
and of course the first book in the Rai-kirah series: 'Transformation'

And a 'clasic' series

The death gate cycle by Weis & Hickman.

But I can only find the last one of the cycle (nr 7) as an ebook (disregarding all the illegal torrents I find with Google of course ) Why on earth someone wants to buy the last book of a series of 7 as an ebook is completely beyond me though.

by the way...My avatar is the cover of book 3 'Fire Sea' I realise now

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 11-14-2008 at 04:05 AM.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote