Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
First time to see an iPad - Impressed! but...

This is in an architect/construction situation, I was previously using my laptop here. The iPad cost him nearly $900, wow that's expensive. We were on the tailgate of the pickup, looking at Google Maps to see a site, couldn't see s*** in the sunlight, moved into the truck and now no 3g. Oh well, my laptop has no wireless, and in the sunlight it would be the same. This is really nothing new.

I was still impressed. If someone can come up with one of these things with 4-8gb memory, a 320gb ssd, and Windows 7, I will buy one in a heartbeat. Give me some cad horsepower, I can deal with 2-4hr battery life! Don't laugh, folks, we may only be a year or so off from that. (dream on...)
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
No 3G in the truck is a bit odd. Unlike the iPhone 4, there's no obvious death spot on the iPad...and I've never seen my signal strength on my phone get any worse in the car.

What you want probably isn't that far out time-wise though. What these devices are already capable of is incredible, and it's only going to get better!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaP View Post
No 3G in the truck is a bit odd.
ATT is not very good in my area. They are real good along the major highways, but if you get too far off from that, spotty 3g. Sprint and Verizon rule in this area.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps your friend should try a different company's SIM in his iPad? As Victoria said, there's no reason that it shouldn't work inside a vehicle - the windows should "let the signal in" no problem at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Your wish is in the works, what you seem to want is a high powered laptop, without a keyboard.... That will be here soon. There have been several Windows tablets in the past (but they failed) , but hopefully with newer technology they will be better this time around, plus they now have the iPad design to copy from....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Your wish is in the works, what you seem to want is a high powered laptop, without a keyboard.... That will be here soon. There have been several Windows tablets in the past (but they failed) , but hopefully with newer technology they will be better this time around, plus they now have the iPad design to copy from....
maybe you should get an anti-glare screen protector. It reduces reflections a lot!
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
If you can live with a stylus, go buy a normal tablet PC. They have been available with the specifications you ask for for a long time. There are even ruggedized ones available. They are far beyond the 800$ price tag of your colleague’s iPad, though. Also note that the prices for the iPad 3G begin at only 600$, so that was really the high-end version with a 64GB SSD.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pina View Post
maybe you should get an anti-glare screen protector. It reduces reflections a lot!
?????? ?????????

Oh, I get it..... you thought you were replying to the original poster.......

Last edited by Bremen Cole; 07-26-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
pina
pina began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
quoted the wrong one
pina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps your friend should try a different company's SIM in his iPad? As Victoria said, there's no reason that it shouldn't work inside a vehicle - the windows should "let the signal in" no problem at all.
Given that he mentions at&t he doesn't really have that option.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote