Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
zee
zee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
hello from sunny south africa

hello, i need help urgently

i received a PRS-505 from the uk as a gift, but 3 months later am still struggling to use it. most recently i upgraded the reader library and now the library does noty want to open at all.

i bought a ebook from whsmith, downloaded into adobe digital but cannot put it on the reader, error message: no permission to copy here

what do i do, anyone else in south africa that is using their device no problems? please
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello zee and welcome to MobileRead!

Sorry to hear you are having some difficulties with your reader. The best place to find out about any issues to do with your 505 would be in the dedicated Sony forum that has lots of kind folks that are experienced with that same reader; it is located here. Hopefully things will be sorted out soon for you and you will be up and reading with ease. Good luck!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Hello Zee, welcome to MobileRead. Afaik, you will have to install Sony's eBook Library software first (you don't need to use it, though it must be installed) and then authorize your Sony in Adobe Digital Editions. This thread might help you. If it doesn't work then ask for help in the Sony PRS-505 subforum because more Sony PRS-505 users will notice your question there.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
Hi Zee, sorry to hear about your problems. Good to see more locals going over to the e-side! I'd follow the sage wisdom of the posters above. =)
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!

I'm afraid I have nothing more to add other than to follow the advice above!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi zee and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
zee

tried something new

no while i'm waiting for adobe to get back to me, i installed calibre on my pc, so now i can upload ebooks to calibre, it kinda downloads to my reader, but when trying to open it states: protected page.

when trying to read the book on calibre it states DRM protected.

i'm new to this and all, so the book i am trying to download to the reader was the very first ebook i bought on whsmith website, epub format, so why can't i put it on my reader????
Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #8
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee View Post
i'm new to this and all, so the book i am trying to download to the reader was the very first ebook i bought on whsmith website, epub format, so why can't i put it on my reader????
Zee, sorry we can't help you if you continue to ignore the given advice(s). Anyway, Calibre can't handle DRM-protected ePub-eBooks, you can stop trying it. The problem is, that your Sony-PRS isn't authorized with Adobe. Authorize your PRS-505 with Adobe Digital Editions and if it still doesn't work then make sure that you've installed Sony's eBook library software.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
zee

waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Zee, sorry we can't help you if you continue to ignore the given advice(s). Anyway, Calibre can't handle DRM-protected ePub-eBooks, you can stop trying it. The problem is, that your Sony-PRS isn't authorized with Adobe. Authorize your PRS-505 with Adobe Digital Editions and if it still doesn't work then make sure that you've installed Sony's eBook library software.
the advice was noted and tried, its just so frustrating when something does not work and i have to wait and wait to get asstance from adobe, so if i am irritating some people, so sorry Netseeker

Ebook library software is installed

so how do i get my reader to be authorized? pc is authorised but not reader. can upload books and view on adobe but not transfer. have asked adobe for assistance, think problem lies in that the reader has been authorised too many times before, so how to wipe the slate clean so to say and reauthorise?
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader

So it was a used reader or did you authorize it on other computers as well?
Anyway, attach your reader to the pc then start digital editions. Press Ctrl+Shift+E and deauthorize the Sony (if possible). Adobe Digital Editions should then ask you to authorize your Reader again - if it doesn't close Adobe Digital Editions, unplug and replug the sony and start Adobe Digital Editions again. The authorization dialog should appear...
Old 02-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
zee

tried it!

ya it was a "slightly used" gift, but i did not authorize it on any other pc except my own, running windows xp

did exactly as you said NetSeeker, but nothing happened. the messages i do get are i need to authorise the device to my pc, but when i try it says e_auth_bad_device_key and also e_act_too_many_activations

reader library is installed
adobe digital editions is installed

what i can do is: upload books to adobe, view and read on adobe.

what now you are my only light at the end of this dark tunnel, it is now 1:30am in the morning here and i am still looking for a solution
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zee View Post
did exactly as you said NetSeeker, but nothing happened. the messages i do get are i need to authorise the device to my pc, but when i try it says e_auth_bad_device_key and also e_act_too_many_activations
Your guess was right: The device was authorized too many times in different installations of Adobe Digital Editions, perhaps by the previous owner. You will need the help of Adobe. As long as they won't increase the amount of allowed authorizations for your reader's key, you will not be able to authorize the reader and read DRMed ePub-eBooks on it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #14
zee

thanks

thanks NetSeeker, you are a star

guess i'll just have to wait for adobe to get back to me on my query, going to sleep and hoping there is an answer for me when i get up in the morning!

will keep you posted, once again thanks a million
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
netseeker
sleepless reader

Keep us informed, zee. I hope Adobe can and will solve your problem.