Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Tags going missing on transfer

okay, I have a couple of threads open detailing my woes with first, extracting images from LRF files (thanks LRFTools) and then uploading them to my new PRO Duo card, (solved by sorting into folders)

But I'm still having an issue with corrupted/lost Tags (collections)

I didn't have this issue before I started to upload my large Comic LRF files to my new card, but it seems that when I'm transferring files to my Sony PRS 505, the tags are being lost on the device, Storage Card A but not Storage Card B

Its a pain as I spent a long time sorting my book collection into sections for easy navigation. and now I've lost them all, it'll be a pain to re-input them all again, only to lose them when I transfer another file to my device.

whats going on?
Is there a delay in writing to my device that corrupts the cache.xml?
Is there a general issue writning to PRO Duo cards (mines a sandisk 8GB)
Or is there a third issue, such as tranferring large files?, or more than one file at once?

Its a pain, and I need to narrow down what is causing this. Any Ideas anyone?
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have a Sony 8GB Pro Duo as my A card and that seem to work without any problems, although I must admit I have never put more than a few hundred books on there at once.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 04:05 AM   #3
sideburnt
Connoisseur

something is definatly not right, I deleted my files from the disk via my computer, resynched with calibre, checked the fiels were not showing then re-transferred them via calibre.

I ended up with the files showing twice under calibre and on the reader, I double checked the card and there was definatly only one file per volume.

It looks like my cache.xml is totally screwed.
Is there a way to force a re-cache or possible build my collections up another way, I don't think calibre is working for me.

I just noticed that if I change a field on the tags in calibre (directly to the card) the metadata is updated via calibre as an action, however when I detach my reader and view collections, the update has not been made. What does this suggest?
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
sideburnt
Connoisseur

okay, calibre is the problem here. using Sony eBook Library collections can be easily created, and are not lost.

I'm starting to find more and more reasons to NOT use calibre.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I have none of the problems that you mention, but then I use Calibre exclusively and do not even try to use the Sony software any more.

However if you try to mix the use of Calibre and the Sony software then I believe that the sort of problems you mention can occur.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The underlying issue is that the Reader uses a single file to keep track of 'meta' information, such as collections, and this is written to by both Calibre & the Sony software when either updates something on the Reader. The file will be saved when the Reader is (safely) unmounted, so using one or the other is safe if there's a disconnection between them, but if you're not the type to remember this, then the simple answer is to stick to one or the other for the transfer and just export/import from/to the other via the PC's hard disk.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
sideburnt
Connoisseur

yes I understand that the two programs cause conflicts. but I am only using Sony software at the moment.

I only reverted to using the Sony software, after multiple attempts using Calibre. (correctly I may add)

I have redone all of my metatags using a different program, so I have cut my apron strings from calibre for now and before I made the switch to Sony software.

Until Calibre is able to work with my Memory card collections without removing all tags and mis-managing my metadata I will have to use Sony software, I hope to come back into the fold with future releases of Calibre which I will be testing.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
400+ books on the reader itself. 600 books on one MS card, 750 or so on another. Many tags translated to collections on the reader. Zero issues. Claiming you have done something "correctly" does not mean you have.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
sideburnt
Connoisseur

Well Im glad your personal experience is so much more invaluable than my own, but you still seem to be throwing mud at walls fella.

You repeating yourself like a stuck record, and claiming that im doing something wrong is simply aimed at what? annoying me? because its working, if this is your objective here then let it drop.

I've used Calibre for around 6 months, and have been using the CORRECT (as in the DOCUMENTED method, the EXACT method talked about in MR) with no issues until I made the switch to V6 and started to move large amounts of files around, thats the facts.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
When I want to move my entire library onto by SD card using calibre to retain the tags I have to do it about ten books at a time or else calibre crashes. I love calibre, but I can attest that it doesn't like to move large amounts of files around.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote