Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #436
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you double / tripled checked the settings in calibre?

You need to check the following:
  • Preferences | Import/Export | Sending books to devices
    Metadata management AUTOMATIC
  • Configured either the Kobo Touch or the Kobo Touch Extended driver depending on which you are using.
    Preferences | Advanced | Plugins
    In the area for shelf info, type <your choice of custom column> and possibly series
    Select any other relevant options. It is suggested that at a minimum you select the Create Bookshelves and Delete Empty Bookshelves options. The other options are not shelf specific.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #437
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hey Peter,

Thanks for trying to help. I know I'm obviously doing something wrong but not quite sure what. I have both Kobo plugins enabled, should I not and if not, which one should I use?

I think I'm entirely missing where the shelf info is? I have selected Create Bookshelves and Delete Empty Bookshelves. Restarted Calibre when making the changes but I still can't seem to transfer books into a shelf on the device.

Sorry!
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 PM   #438
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest only having one enabled. Either just have the basic Kobo Touch driver enabled OR the Extended driver depending on whether you want ePubs or kEpubs on your device.

Within whichever driver you can have enabled ensure that the shelf field is filled in with the calibre column(s) you want to use for the collections on the device.

If you are using a custom column then its name must be preceded via a # sign. If you use a built-in column then no # sign. That is why my example uses "#myshelves, series".

I use the #myshelves to allow me to tag books as belonging to (for instance) the Reference, Manuals or Cooking collections (or in fact multiple collections).

Using series also means books end up in a collection that is the series name as filled in on the book's metadata from calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #439
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Thanks for trying to help. I know I'm obviously doing something wrong but not quite sure what. I have both Kobo plugins enabled, should I not and if not, which one should I use?
No, you should only have one enabled. Disable the one you don't want to use and do the configuration on the other.
Quote:
I think I'm entirely missing where the shelf info is? I have selected Create Bookshelves and Delete Empty Bookshelves. Restarted Calibre when making the changes but I still can't seem to transfer books into a shelf on the device.
The shelves are created from one or more columns in your calibre library. The "lookup names" of the columns are entered in the field on the driver configuration. If you use more than one column, the names are separated by a comma. To see the lookup names of a column, put your mouse cursor over the title of the column in the library list and a tooltip will be displayed. If the column is a custom column, the lookup name starts with a "#". This is part of the name and must be included.

If it still doesn't work, post a screenshot to show what you have done.

Or, run calibre in debug mode and post the debug log. This is done by clicking on the arrow next to the preferences button and selecting "Restart in debug mode". Calibre will restart and display a message about debug mode and a log. Connect your ereader and wait for the jobs to finish. When they have, close calibre and the log will be displayed. Post the full contents of the log for me to look at. I can usually see what is wrong.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #440
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi guys!!

Thank you both for trying to help. I got it!! It worked for my Sony so I followed the instructions step by step and compared it to how I had it formatted for my Sony and it works on the Kobo. Thanks so much!!

Advert
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 PM   #441
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Hi again,

I'm back! I can put epubs on a Kobo and it keeps the series and sort order by modifying the title when it puts it on the device.

Can this be done with the kepub format and if so how? Do I have to manually modify the titles? I didn't really want to do that.

I hope I'm not a bother. I have a Glo HD if that matters at all.

Thanks very much!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #442
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
That is easy.

Download epub versions of your kepub books with Adobe Digital Edition. Once upon a time Kobobooks didn't give epubs for all its books, but it is not like that anymore (there might be some exceptions but all the book I couldn't download with ADE are no downloadable as ePub 3.0s). I recommend you to use Adobe Digital Editions 2.0.

After that, add the books to the Calibre and strip their DRM (stripping might now be necessary). One step left now, just connect the books downloaded from the device to the books in your Calibre library, like this:

http://drop.muratcansimsek.com/Scree...2020.59.26.png

You can now make any edit you want to your Calibre copy, and it will propagate to your Kobo kepub copy on the device.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #443
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Hi again,

I'm back! I can put epubs on a Kobo and it keeps the series and sort order by modifying the title when it puts it on the device.

Can this be done with the kepub format and if so how? Do I have to manually modify the titles? I didn't really want to do that.

I hope I'm not a bother. I have a Glo HD if that matters at all.

Thanks very much!
It should work exactly the same way that it automatically adds the info to your epub titles.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #444
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Are you wanting to send the books as kepubs, or are you wanting to change the titles for purchased and downloaded kepubs?

There are three cases:

- Use the KoboTouchExtended driver and send epubs as kepubs. This will work as is.
- Convert to kepub in the calibre library and send these. This won't work at the moment, but I have created the extra plugins that are needed and published them in beta form. I need to publish them properly or get them included in calibre.
- Purchased and downloaded kepubs. Not automatically.

For the last two cases, and any book already on the device, my Kobo Utilities plugin can do it. This has a function to update the metadata in the database on the device from the calibre library. For titles and authors, it can use the metadata plugboard. You do need the book in the calibre library. I usually download the epub version from the Kobo shop, but you can create an empty book if you don't want to do that.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #445
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are you wanting to send the books as kepubs, or are you wanting to change the titles for purchased and downloaded kepubs?

There are three cases:

- Use the KoboTouchExtended driver and send epubs as kepubs. This will work as is.
- Convert to kepub in the calibre library and send these. This won't work at the moment, but I have created the extra plugins that are needed and published them in beta form. I need to publish them properly or get them included in calibre.
- Purchased and downloaded kepubs. Not automatically.

For the last two cases, and any book already on the device, my Kobo Utilities plugin can do it. This has a function to update the metadata in the database on the device from the calibre library. For titles and authors, it can use the metadata plugboard. You do need the book in the calibre library. I usually download the epub version from the Kobo shop, but you can create an empty book if you don't want to do that.

Hi Davidfor,

Thank you & yes. I am referring to option 1 and 2. I don't know how to do 1. I haven't had time to play with that today and I was trying to do option 2 and yep, as noted it doesn't work.

When buying books from Kobo I try to buy where they have the option to download epubs to do the conversion. I got some funky results and I'll post a screen shot of the reader in a couple of days. It didn't turn out like I was expecting and saw with my Sony - Harry Potter - 01 - (full title)

It came out with the actual, unmodified title of the book on one line and then in a smaller script on the line below it would say Harry Potter - 01. Which I actually liked better than having the entire title changed. I converted to kepub because I like how it shows the title of the book I'm reading at the header.

I'm not entirely sure how I got it to do that but I do like it better. lol
Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 AM   #446
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hi Davidfor,

Thank you & yes. I am referring to option 1 and 2. I don't know how to do 1. I haven't had time to play with that today and I was trying to do option 2 and yep, as noted it doesn't work.

When buying books from Kobo I try to buy where they have the option to download epubs to do the conversion. I got some funky results and I'll post a screen shot of the reader in a couple of days. It didn't turn out like I was expecting and saw with my Sony - Harry Potter - 01 - (full title)
Copy the plugboard or take a screen shot so we can see it.
Quote:
It came out with the actual, unmodified title of the book on one line and then in a smaller script on the line below it would say Harry Potter - 01. Which I actually liked better than having the entire title changed. I converted to kepub because I like how it shows the title of the book I'm reading at the header.

I'm not entirely sure how I got it to do that but I do like it better. lol
You didn't know that Kobo ereaders display series information? That's what the extra line is. For books downloaded directly from their shop, this gets populated. But, for sideloaded books, it isn't automatically populated. The driver in calibre has an option to do this when the device is connected and you must have enabled it. This has reduced the need for the plugboard to change the title. Unfortunately, there is no way to sort by the series info. That is the reason people are still using it, but I haven't used them for ages.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #447
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Hi Davidfor,

No I didn't know that about Kobo. I'm new to them. I'd say 95+ percent of my books are sideloaded and any books I have in a series are all sideloaded to my devices. I guess I did enable that option through Calibre but didn't even realize it was there to do or that I'd done it. A nice error.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:47 PM   #448
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Quote:
I'd say 95+ percent of my books are sideloaded and any books I have in a series are all sideloaded to my devices. I guess I did enable that option through Calibre but didn't even realize it was there to do or that I'd done it. A nice error.
Hi Shopaholic,
Just a brief comment about the series information function in the plugin.
The information doesn't show up when you send the book to the reader. The plugin needs that Kobo adds the book to the database (it happens when you disconnect the Reader from the PC) and then, the next time you connect the eReader to Calibre, that information is sent.
It can be confusing if you don't know how that works, and you are checking the series information when you have just sent the book ;-)
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:58 AM   #449
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi

I am using caliber whit plugin to load books.

to load number of books by different authors to one collection, i use.
#myshelves, series
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

I change series name of the books for example "collection1" and load them to Kobo.
are there an easy way to do that?

EDIT:
Also can I sort series by numerical order that it show in kobo (series 1, series 2...)?

Last edited by oren64; 07-22-2015 at 09:52 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #450
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Hi

I am using caliber whit plugin to load books.

to load number of books by different authors to one collection, i use.
#myshelves, series
{series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}
I assume that first lise is the collections columns and the second is the the metadata plugboard you use
Quote:
I change series name of the books for example "collection1" and load them to Kobo.
are there an easy way to do that?
When you resend a book from calibre to the device, the book is not processed again. That means the metadata is not extracted again. But, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to update the metadata in the database on the device.
Quote:
EDIT:
Also can I sort series by numerical order that it show in kobo (series 1, series 2...)?
If the above is the metadata plugboard used to set the title in the device, when you select "Title" sorting on the device, it should sort the series books together in the series index order.