Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #61
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Style sheets

I think that Delete Unused Stylesheet Styles is a great idea.

After I use it and then look at Styles -> main.css, all styles remain.

Is this correct?
Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #62
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@crutledge - that depends - did you have any unused styles? Did you see a statusbar message telling you there were no unused styles, or did you get a prompt telling you what styles it was about to delete?

As with anything like this, we need a sample epub if you think it should have done something...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #63
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
You can also use the Reports function to look at Styles Classes in CSS Files to identify which are used/not used (and right-click on those you want to delete - the Delete Unused Stylesheet Styles is a quick way of doing this for the ones not used).

As this is such a new feature, any feedback is appreciated. As kiwidude said - sample epubs allow us to check quickly and make changes if needed.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
As this is such a new feature, any feedback is appreciated. As kiwidude said - sample epubs allow us to check quickly and make changes if needed.
This brings up another question.

Do you want the epub after I have attempted to do something or should I revert to the state before I run into the alleged problem?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #65
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
You can also use the Reports function to look at Styles Classes in CSS Files to identify which are used/not used (and right-click on those you want to delete - the Delete Unused Stylesheet Styles is a quick way of doing this for the ones not used).

As I have said before, just talking to you guys helps.

Attached is the epub after removal of styles. Two styles:

Code:
big {
font-size:200%;
font-weight:bold;
}
and
Code:
pre {
font-family:Arial,"Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size:100%;
margin-left:25%;
}
are not listed in the list of styles and are not removed.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Folk-Tales of Napoleon.epub (317.5 KB, 218 views)

Last edited by crutledge; 10-03-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #66
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@crutledge - those are element styles, not class styles and so will not be considered for removal in the current implementation. A class style of ".foo" will get removed. Removing element styles is way more complicated so we don't attempt it at all.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #67
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@crutledge - those are element styles, not class styles and so will not be considered for removal in the current implementation. A class style of ".foo" will get removed. Removing element styles is way more complicated so we don't attempt it at all.
I understand that,
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #68
elchamaco
Zealot
elchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enoughelchamaco will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@elchamaco - I admit to being biased, I never used Split View by choice and always hated it. I hated the reduced screen real estate for editing. I hated that it never worked properly, that too often it would for instance jump the cursor right to the bottom of the document. What point is there in a synchronised view if it doesn't actually synchronise correctly? Clicking into the other split to get it to synchronise would cause the underlying content to be saved, which reformatted it, so you lost your exact place in both views jumping around, significantly so if it was a large paragraph you were editing. And you had all the well formed stuff interfering from losing focus as well. It was clunky and awful imo. It wasn't me that removed it btw, but I fully support the decision that was made to do so.

So what exactly is the attraction to Split View for you? Is it to see the effect of changes to Book View as you typed them in Code View? Or was it the other way around, of seeing what was generated in Code View by making changes in Book View? Which of those was the "critical I must have it" thing that attracted you to Split View? We have a few ideas we are kicking around that may one day appear in a future release, I am just curious whether they would gel with what feature of Sigil you *actually* used Split View for.

In 0.5.9xx you can double click on the tab heading or hit F2 to quickly flick between CV/BV, and caret positioning will consistently work to show the matching place in the document.

I agree Sigil 0.5.3 has some serious issues, but Sigil 0.4.2 has some equally serious ones - it's propensity to lose content when merging being the most critical I suffered from (hard to spot unless you double check your merged document afterwards every time). That one alone became a showstopper for me - nothing worse than finding chapter nine is the next one available after chapter one when you go to read that book 3 months later.

As others have posted, the enhancements and stability in 0.5.905 or later allow editing to be done in a fraction of the time it used to take without the same problems of losing content, but of course you are free to use whichever version you choose

Yes Sigil0.5.3 was an ass pain when editing in split view because the lost of focus as you mention it. In the last 4 version it worked fine. Not only that, merging files, 95 % of times, crash. Searching regular expressiones, 35 % of times crash...

I like split view beacause i like to edit and see the results in the other window directly. With a big monitor there is no problem with split view, with two big monitors less. I have two 24 IPS panaramic monitors, believe me, i edit in split view and only need one of them and there is no space problem at all.

I didn't noticed any lost of content with sigil 4, but i did'nt merge or split files so frequently, and when i've done i think never happened to me, but i'll look as you mention it.

I've been trying F2 key, and i think it'll do the work, but i'll miss the split view, hehe, i like it, what can i say. The new mode is also good, but if you ask me, i prefer edit+preview more than the new mode.

I'll be trying with the new sgil version more time, probably after some time i'll not miss so much the old edit mode.

Thx.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #69
kiwidude

@elchamaco - I have three screens here at home (a 27" and two 24" in portrait mode either side) and there is never "enough" screen real estate .

The 0.5.905+ code bears little relation to the 0.5.3 code in a lot of critical areas, I certainly wouldn't judge this release based on your experiences with that. My own experiences of crashes with 0.5.3 were a similar level of frustration to the point of me joining the dev team to try to help.

Just one more question on the split view as I'm trying to divine from your response. If you had the ability to edit in Code View, while also having visible a readonly Preview window for that page (refreshed/synced at the tap of a key or mouse click) that could be undocked/placed alongside or on a second monitor, would that tick all the same boxes for you? Or is your use of Split View to make your edits in Book View and see the impact in Code View?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #70
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
2@21" and a 15" in Portrait.
I totally agree... Never enough screen space. I love the fact the Book Browser, TOC detach. I leave the book on the portrait screen.
sometimes I have HTML/CSS help pages on another monitor or a different format (source) up on another screen. More screen space

We now return to your regular forum topic
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #71
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Three screens? Really? I was under the impression desktops were a dying breed... I guess I'm the odd ball here with a single 11" screen...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 PM   #72
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Three screens? Really? I was under the impression desktops were a dying breed... I guess I'm the odd ball here with a single 11" screen...
I do computer moves (support for movers). 2 head is fairly common (~40%), 3 heads (10%), 4 heads (5%) (3 and 4 are common in trading companies), Iv'e moved a few 5 an 6 heads
There are gobs of 2 head 23" rigs,. I have move a couple of 32" (single) desktops. A certain company that develops firmware for the K has quite a few 2 head iMACs and Linux machines.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #73
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I have just used the open with function for a picture that was too long. That caused it to be displayed twice, once as it should and then again overlaying the following text.

I just right clicked on the image file, opened it up with my graphics editor, resized it, saved it and all without leaving Sigil and when I double clicked on it there it was showing the new size.

What a dramatic improvement! I remember when Sigil came out first...so slow as to be almost unusable, but the only game in town. Now it is a rocket ship!

One small quibble which may or may not have been mentioned. If you right click on the displayed image itself, and click open with, it doesn't work. But right clicking on the book browser listing does.

Last edited by mrmikel; 10-04-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #74
kiwidude

@mrmikel - thanks for the feedback. No-one had noticed that. If you Open With in BookView by right-clicking on an image it works, but it looks like the Open With on an image in an Image tab does indeed do nothing for me either. Will be fixed for the next release.

Also note that the image (or html) will automatically refresh itself if displayed on screen after the Open With operation when you save in the external application.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #75
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Entities

Please don't hurt me if I mention something that is already known, I'm too busy to follow the whole thread.

I opened a new book. In CV I replaced the existring Paragraph (Deleting nbsp; first, typing the rest) with <p>& bullet; xxx</p> (The text after the entitiy dosn't matter). Switching to BV, the bullet is shown correctly. Switching back to CV and save the book, the line has changed into:
<p>&amp;bullet; xxx</p>

I guess, something is going wrong...
Closed Thread