Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-29-2014, 01:52 AM   #871
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 1, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Jon, as you are with jackets so am I with covers, the reason I first used Modify was to remove them. I like to have a jacket with all the metadata in the book, because the readers I have on my Tab are limited to displaying the DC elements only.
As I usually have some sort of net access, I look up any books I need/want to on Goodreads. I like to have my books as slim as possible. I find the jacket is just another page to have to move past.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #872
Rev. Bob
Guru
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Jon, as you are with jackets so am I with covers, the reason I first used Modify was to remove them. I like to have a jacket with all the metadata in the book, because the readers I have on my Tab are limited to displaying the DC elements only.
The two things I'm practically guaranteed to do on any book are hack the cover-page code and standardize the OPF metadata. I have my own template for both, and "fixing" the metadata usually involves going online to find the missing pieces. For instance, I love having the dc:description field populated with the publisher's blurb, in case I need a reminder, and I frequently have to change the text of the author's name from "Last, First" to "First Last" and add the opf:file-as="Last, First" attribute. I'm also funny about dc:identifier, in that I prefer for it to be the ISBN (where available) instead of a UUID, and I set all my series book titles to "Series X: Title" - where X is the place in the series, with a leading zero if necessary. That last mod is critical for me, as it keeps me organized. Then there are the CSS mods, where if the book uses something other than medium/default for the size of the main text, I go through and rescale everything.

I'd love to have a plugin that did all of that for me, but it's a complicated enough process that it requires human oversight.
Rev. Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #873
zephyrot
zephyrot began at the beginning.

Device: BQ Cervantes Touch Light
@rev.bob.

Quote:
Stupid question time:
If the goal is to avoid duplicates, because Calibre is making duplicate files, why not remove the Calibre-made files? That should be much easier to control.
I do want to delete files created by humans. I'm completely fine with calibre generated files. Calibre does it in the way I like, which is something I can't tell about humans

Quote:
The two things I'm practically guaranteed to do on any book are hack the cover-page code and standardize the OPF metadata. I have my own template for both, and "fixing" the metadata usually involves going online to find the missing pieces. For instance, I love having the dc:description field populated with the publisher's blurb, in case I need a reminder, and I frequently have to change the text of the author's name from "Last, First" to "First Last" and add the opf:file-as="Last, First" attribute. I'm also funny about dc:identifier, in that I prefer for it to be the ISBN (where available) instead of a UUID, and I set all my series book titles to "Series X: Title" - where X is the place in the series, with a leading zero if necessary. That last mod is critical for me, as it keeps me organized. Then there are the CSS mods, where if the book uses something other than medium/default for the size of the main text, I go through and rescale everything.
Maybe you know already, but with "Last,First" books I use calibre bulk metadata editor to properly fix them. I do prefer also "First Last" as you. With the series, I was using Calibre Metadata Plugboards to add the series name and index to filenames when uploading files to my old reader. My new ereader does automatic collections with the series names, so now I only have to put the series index in the filename so they are sorted when I check the ereader library. Removing the series name from the filename was a good thing, there are crazy long series names out there (World of Darkness, I'm looking at you!).

@Terisa de morgan:

Quote:
But the main point is: the removed file isn't "sobrecubierta" in English, but the standard name and extension (that's important: jacket.xhtml works, jacket.html doesn't) that calibre uses for including this jacket. You're not removing something which is a normal part of the book, but something calibre has added.
I agree with you. Certainly, "file names + extension" has to be properly set in the plugin. Thanks for pointing it out.
Poor Kiwidude, we are giving him lot of troubles

@BetterRed & Jswolf:

Quote:
Jswolf: That would be a nice option to have Modidy ePub present us with a list of files in the ePub for us to select which ones we want removed and then they can be removed from the OPF and NCX ToC (if there).
Quote:
I think you would need a page preview too, I just looked at an epub from PG, the file names give no clue as to what's in the file.
My personal taste is that "preview" or "file selection" windows would disturb you when processing many books at once, as you have to review one after another and not all books might have the same name for the offending files. Maybe you can use "calibre epub editor" or Sygil when adding one or two books at once. That's what I was doing before finding Kiwidude plugin.
But I do understand your points here.

Poor Kiwidude, indeed
zephyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #874
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take a look at the EpubSplit plugin. It presents a list of all the XML files in a fairly usable way. It doesn't show the content, but if you really need to see, you could use Edit Book to double check before deleting.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #875
theducks
Grand Sorcerer
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2, Astak Pocket Pro, K4NT
The Quality Check Plugin will tell you which have jackets (or other stuff)

Why not run that first (apply a cleanup needed tag via bulk metadata edit)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #876
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR w/Glowlight, Kindle 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Take a look at the EpubSplit plugin. It presents a list of all the XML files in a fairly usable way. It doesn't show the content, but if you really need to see, you could use Edit Book to double check before deleting.
FYI, EpubSplit shows you the beginning of each (x)html file as a tooltip when you mouse over the file name.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #877
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
FYI, EpubSplit shows you the beginning of each (x)html file as a tooltip when you mouse over the file name.
I forgot about that. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #878
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have a request for Modify ePub. I'd like to have an option to remove all Amazon media queries found in the CSS. This is ePub, we don't need them. Thanks.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #879
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find the jacket is just another page to have to move past.
That's why I hacked Modify to put it at the back. Most of my metadata is created by me, sadly Goodreads don't feature 'books' published by BCG, McKinseys, ECB etc :lol:

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #880
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura HD, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy Tab3 8
Quote:
- I have a hacked version of Modify that puts the calibre jacket at the back of the book.

It would be nice if Modify had an option to put the jacket.xhtml after the titlepage.xhtml (as it does now) or as the last file in the book. I won't offer my hack - because it removes functionality that others undoubtedly use.

BR
Thank you, you have given me an idea. I'm going to do the first option and another for adding link to the toc.ncx. It it works, perhaps I'll go to the configuration route
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote