Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
emen
Edge User

Edge deleting my USB flash contents

This is the THIRD time the Edge deleted all the contents from my USB flash. I used two different USB flash drives. The first and the third time, everything from the flash just disappeared (just leaving the Lost directory), the second time it deleted about 70% of the files randomly.

I want to warn you not to save anything important (and not backed up) on your USB flash you use with the Edge, because there is obviously some big nasty bug that feeds on your USB flash data .

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
borisb
Edge User

You may possibly have malicious software installed on your eDGe (like a virus on a PC), or one of your apps is configured to do some sort of cleanup and is having the undesired result of deleting everything on the USB drive.

I don't think the eDGe autoformats the USB sticks, but maybe it doesn't like the format of the USB sticks. If you put one of these previously erased USB sticks in the eDGe and copy stuff to them, does the stuff stay or get deleted? What if you add stuff using your desktop and then inserting the USB stick in the eDGe?

Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Dr. T
Edge User

I have never seen this behavior with any of the many USB drives I have used...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:36 AM   #4
emen
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
You may possibly have malicious software installed on your eDGe (like a virus on a PC), or one of your apps is configured to do some sort of cleanup and is having the undesired result of deleting everything on the USB drive.

I don't think the eDGe autoformats the USB sticks, but maybe it doesn't like the format of the USB sticks. If you put one of these previously erased USB sticks in the eDGe and copy stuff to them, does the stuff stay or get deleted? What if you add stuff using your desktop and then inserting the USB stick in the eDGe?
I'm 100% sure it's a bug (probably Android in general), since I've read elsewhere some HTC Android phones exhibited the same behavior. It happened twice after a complete reset (once immediately after, so without any additional, third party apps). The same USB sticks work fine for some time, after I reformat them and add some files, but problem is that it just randomly deletes my files, I never know when it will happen, sometimes everything works fine, sometimes I lose all my data. Both of my USB stick work great on my PC's, they're not some Chinese fake drive.

I believe the solution lies in update to some more recent Android version, and just wanted to warn you all to be extremely careful and to back up your data, and not to store anything important on your USB flash drives.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
VenturingSoul
Edge User

Question: Are you manually unmounting the USB sticks before removing them? I hosed one of mine on Linux because I did not unmount it and the system was not finished accessing it before I removed it.

Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emen View Post
I'm 100% sure it's a bug (probably Android in general), since I've read elsewhere some HTC Android phones exhibited the same behavior. It happened twice after a complete reset (once immediately after, so without any additional, third party apps). The same USB sticks work fine for some time, after I reformat them and add some files, but problem is that it just randomly deletes my files, I never know when it will happen, sometimes everything works fine, sometimes I lose all my data. Both of my USB stick work great on my PC's, they're not some Chinese fake drive.

I believe the solution lies in update to some more recent Android version, and just wanted to warn you all to be extremely careful and to back up your data, and not to store anything important on your USB flash drives.
I'm less confident that it is an Android bug since no other users have had the same experience. Are there any other possibilities that are specific to your EE (or to your procedures, as VenturingSoul suggests)?

Old 12-25-2010, 02:33 AM   #7
emen
Edge User

I always, but always safely remove any removable disks. I've tried the same stickc on Mac, Win XP, Vista, Ubuntu, without any issue. Android doesn't seem to like me

Old 12-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
hedi01
Edge User

Deleted due to SPAM.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
Dr. T
Edge User

Over the holiday break, I had a similar problem, though it was likely my own fault. I took my SD card out of my camera and popped it in the EE. I was able (though slowly) to view the pictures in the Gallery. After unmounting it, though, and putting it back in my camera, the camera could no longer recognize the SD card. I put it back in the EE, and it said the card was blank. Luckily, I had backed up most of my pictures.

Regardless, it was an unwise sequence to follow...