Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
The Verge: Sorry iBooks, paper books still win on specs

Interesting point of view

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/20/27...l-win-on-specs

The specs of a paper book
If you take a moment to think about a paper book as the technological object that it is, you can quickly see plenty of advantages over e-readers. The list of "specs" for your standard paper book gets surprisingly long when you expand your definition of technology to include elements that don't require a computer chip.

•Readable with any form of light
•Very high contrast display
•Requires no battery power
•Depending on model, lasts anywhere from five to five thousand years or more
•Immersive and non-distracting user interface
•Offers a spatial layout for immediate access to random information
•Conforms to the standardized "page number" spec for easy reference
•Supports direct interaction via pen or highlighter
•DRM-free for easy lending and resale
•Standards-based system not controlled by any single corporation or entity
•Crash-proof and immune to viruses (though vulnerable to some worms)
•Easy to learn user-interface consistent across most manufacturers
•Supports very large number of colors and also black and white images
•Compatible with a wide variety of note taking systems

These features and specs are either unmatched or poorly matched by most current e-reader technology. While e-readers obviously offer many advantages over paper books, I would argue that most of the above specs are essential to how most people think of the act of engaged, active reading
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
A host of reasons, with present and foreseeable future technology, that all add up to being less harmful for the environment ..... and,if you pushed it to the extreme, society ?

Sorry to be a party pooper....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Limitations:

Only able to carry a limited number with you at the same time.
No internal dictionary/thesarus

AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
blabla. Deja vu.
Ebooks vs deadtree once again.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I do have certain issues reading with hard UV and Gamma and on other hand microwaves and radio waves also make reading quite imposible ;D

Page numbers standard, try that with bible...

Also there is certain issues with waterproofeness and updating factual and typografical errors, meaning replacing certain part of product is hard...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
eBook supporters fight the luddites back:

1. built-in search capabilities: try doing this on a paper book.
2. built-in dictionary lookup.
3. eInk devices also have high contrast, and non-distracting interfaces.
4. eInk screens are readable with any form light, and backlit LCD can be read in a dark room without upsetting your sleeping partner.
5. There are workarounds for DRM, or you can buy only DRM-free books, so you can take your books with you anywhere (not to mention long-term storage in an open format).
6. Annotations can be exported, manipulated and printed.
7. If your Standard is HTML, no corporation owns you.
8. No cracked spines in big hardcovers. No cheap MMPB coming apart after a lot of use.
9. Page number standards? Tell me, what's the "true" page count for "The Stand"?
10. no shelf space required for thousands of titles. no cardboard boxes required when you move.

That's just from the top of my head. I'm pretty sure ebook addicts will have plenty more
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Instantly adjustable font sizes.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
ebook required bookshelf space = none
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Standardized page numbers? Heh, I remember a number of occasions where my teachers inadvertently gave us the wrong page numbers because the curriculum had been written for an earlier edition of the textbook.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well this could help solve the interface limitations:

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-23-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Luddite's ?

I still use my feet, admittedly....
But I haven't yet smashed up any reader construction machinery...

And I thought of another, fairly obvious, plus for the book - far superior robustness and likely lifespan!
I haven't yet heard of a reader that's survived a 100+ drop onto tarmac yet. I speak from personal experience with aforesaid book.
[And a friend once found a book printed in Arabic from the shoeline near Land's End !]]

"athlonkmf blabla. Deja vu.
Ebooks vs deadtree once again."

Perhaps that's because it is a discussion worth having now and then, for no other reason that there may be contributors who haven't had the advantage of reading earlier discussions on the topic. An
I do note with interest the apparent lack of interest in the environmental issues.
Surely we're not in denial ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I'm surprised no one pointed out for ebooks:
- no wear/tear of pages
- can have multiple copies across devices
- lost your ebook? Just restore your backup.
- buy it once, keep it forever
- packing for trips faster and less weight

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #13
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I began to refute the original post for it's innaccuracies but decided it wasn't worth the trouble. I'm sure the monks with illuminated scrolls and books did the same thing for the printed book.

And, the results will be the same.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Well this could help solve the interface limitations:
***/Video/***
"However, navigation on a E-book is normally heavy, tiresome, and distracting from reading task."

Yes, because pushing a button with my thumb is just so heavy and tiresome. I oftentimes lose my concentration when pushing that button with just how ever-so distracting it is to tap that button. Thank the FSM for paper books and giving my shoulders something to do when reading! /snark

That video was actually pretty cool, though. I really liked the transitions and the page-flipping to get deeper into a book/magazine quickly.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I will admit one thing that I've found somewhat annoying with ebooks. Some of the books I read will have maps at various points in the book, and every now and then I'd like to flip back to refer to them. For whatever reason, I've found that significantly more of a pain in an ebook than I do in a real book. I am learning, by adding bookmarks, but it's still somewhat clunky to me, and I never remember to mark the spot until I realize that I wanted to go back there.

Oh, and for all those that keep bringing up the built-in dictionary: how many people really use it? I honestly think I've used it once, and that was more by accident than for really wanting to use it. I can't say that in my normal reading I generally find that I have a real need for a dictionary. I honestly can't see that I'd miss it if I didn't have it.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote