Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-22-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
eb1150 and page breaks

Does the eb1150 recognize/respect page breaks? I was just trying to break up a rtf file to have each chapter start on a new page, but the unit itself doesn't respect the line breaks. I've tried doing this in both MS Word and Book Designer, and then converting them to the proper format using the eBookwise Librarian trial.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Does the eb1150 recognize/respect page breaks? I was just trying to break up a rtf file to have each chapter start on a new page, but the unit itself doesn't respect the line breaks. I've tried doing this in both MS Word and Book Designer, and then converting them to the proper format using the eBookwise Librarian trial.
You say line breaks - do you mean page breaks?

If you are pressing your return key to create new lines then this won't work.

I understand that rtf is converted to HTML before processing to the imp format. HTML ignores all empty elements and pressing the return key will produce empty elements. If you are using Word then it's best to use the insert/break/page break method. Or set up a style for your chapter headings and make sure that Page Break before is checked.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars
When I have converted texts, and there haven't been too many as I have only had my 1150 for a few months, I've used eBookwise Librarian, and I've always had each chapter as a separate HTML file. Works quite well for what you are requesting, but breaking up the chapters would probably be quite the headache.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Gemstar eBook Formatting

To get chapters starting on new pages/screens you need a new-page command, which you specify in a style section in the HTML you feed to Librarian. Lots of stuff goes there.

Some notes here, with the style line you want being something like

.pg {page-break-before: always}

used something like

<div class="pg" style="text-align: center">
<h2>Two: A Dash of Pepper</h2>
</div><br /><br />

which will start that chapter at the top of the next screen.
There are a bunch of commands you can use if you want to put in the time to make the output pretty.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gemstar eBook EB-1150 Formatting Standards.pdf (71.0 KB, 645 views)
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
sea2stars
Zealot
sea2stars is on a distinguished road

Device: eb1150, Sony Reader
Moonraker: That's odd. I've used the "insert page break" method using both Word and Book Designer, and haven't gotten the desired result. I'll have to look into the style option for chapter headings.

Jack: I think that's what I may end up doing in Dreamweaver, unless a simpler method develops that will meet my needs. Then again, I might just get used to it.

Jadon: Thanks! I just noticed your response. I'm going to have to look at those links and play with the code.

Last edited by sea2stars; 02-22-2007 at 04:14 PM.
sea2stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea2stars View Post
Moonraker: That's odd. I've used the "insert page break" method using both Word and Book Designer, and haven't gotten the desired result. I'll have to look into the style option for chapter headings.

Jack: I think that's what I may end up doing in Dreamweaver, unless a simpler method develops that will meet my needs. Then again, I might just get used to it.

Jadon: Thanks! I just noticed your response. I'm going to have to look at those links and play with the code.
The insert page break should work. Also, while it is undocumented, the <pb> tag seems to work fine to do a page break.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
eb1150 and page returns

I actually noticed that Word page breaks (saved as RTF, anyway) are ignored with the GEB/Ebook Librarian program. They work just fine when I use the free program from Ebook Technologies, Inc. (the manufacturer of the eb1150 hardware/firmware).

I've had a few inconsistent problems with the GEB Librarian/eBook Librarian program:
  • book stop converting/displaying at the first "line feed" (as opposed to a "paragraph return")
  • book stops converting/displaying at certain types of bullet points (but not all)
  • book crashes the reader if it contains certain (or maybe certain sized) images

So, even though the ETI program takes a little longer - and I've never figured out how to import an HTML file to it directly - I still prefer it to the GEB Librarian program most of the time.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
So, even though the ETI program takes a little longer - and I've never figured out how to import an HTML file to it directly - I still prefer it to the GEB Librarian program most of the time.
Actually you don't import a html file. You create a new project and then simply add the html file. Use the drop down list to find files with html extension and then you can save the project and build it. No need to import since that is the native format for ebook Publisher.

You may need to make a few corrections since there are some differences but most of the it will make the book ok.

Dale
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Well, thanks, DaleDe! That was so simple, I'm embarrassed! Now, the results weren't all that pretty* (I'm pretty picky about my formats) and I had to fix the image file links before I imported it, but it worked.

*(Odd characters at the start of some paragraphs [>], curly quotation marks showed as question marks, font was larger and bolder than I prefer for reading...)
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Well, thanks, DaleDe! That was so simple, I'm embarrassed! Now, the results weren't all that pretty* (I'm pretty picky about my formats) and I had to fix the image file links before I imported it, but it worked.

*(Odd characters at the start of some paragraphs [>], curly quotation marks showed as question marks, font was larger and bolder than I prefer for reading...)
You're welcome. I am pretty fussy too. When the curly quotation marks show up as ? replace them with &ldquo; and &rdquo;. There is also single quotes using an s instead of a d in the previous items. (l and r are left and right). I spend quite a bit of time getting the quotes to work right and getting rid of ascii dashes (&ndash; or &mdash. Font size and appearance is controllable but it can be tricky also. I am slowly adding some of my books to the upload at this site.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-16-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: correct an error in mdash, ndash
Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
GarthConboy
President, ETI
GarthConboy began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
EBW-1150 and page breaks

The native markup language for the EBW-1150 (aka ETI-2) is OEBPS 1.2. The CSS for forcing a page break would be:
<p style="page-break-before: always" />
(or something similar).

I don't know too much about Librarian, I think it uses a different mechanism to get from Word/RTF to OEBPS that we do in our tools (we go Word->RTF->OEBPS). I know that if you use our content tools (http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm) when converting from Word or RTF, we will respect hard page breaks in the source documents. Converting these to something like the above.
GarthConboy is offline   Reply With Quote