Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Ebook reader for an 8-year-old?

Hi All,

My daughter used to use my iPAQ PDA phone to read some of the free ebooks available. We'd load it up for her to take on trips, etc. Well, her little sister took it in the bathtub and essentially killed it. I've wondered about replacing it with a less expensive reader so that she can continue to read her many ebooks on it, but I'm unsure which falls into that category. I have the EZReader and absolutely love it. In fact, I can't imagine my life without it! With all the software and file converters out there, I'm not very worried about the inability to convert books to an appropriate format.

Anyway, we live in US, so is there a "cheap" book reader that she'd be able to use?

Thanks!
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
How much are you comfortable spending? New or used? E-Ink or LCD?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The Jetbook can be had for less than $200 at Fry's. You might also want to consider a used Sony or Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Ebookwise has a lot fans here at MobileRead. I see some very low prices for used devices on eBay.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
kressg23
Enthusiast

Great ideas.. I don't know why, but I didn't even think to check ebay for something used. I'm thinking backlit (non e-ink) is probably better. Anything more sturdy. I worry that the e-ink devices are a bit fragile. I have heard of the Ebookwise, but didn't know anyone who has had one. I'd like to spend less than $100 if possible... I'll do some research.
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

A new eBookwise 1150 can be purchased for $135.00 with 64MB of internal memory. You can ask any questions you may have of the experts in the eBookwise forum here at MobileRead.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by kressg23 View Post
Great ideas.. I don't know why, but I didn't even think to check ebay for something used. I'm thinking backlit (non e-ink) is probably better. Anything more sturdy. I worry that the e-ink devices are a bit fragile. I have heard of the Ebookwise, but didn't know anyone who has had one. I'd like to spend less than $100 if possible... I'll do some research.
Get another IPAQ. You can pick an old used one up for pretty cheap on eBay. You can load ebook reader software to it...it handles PDF, eReader, and Mobipocket files really well.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
A new eBookwise 1150 can be purchased for $135.00 with 64MB of internal memory. You can ask any questions you may have of the experts in the eBookwise forum here at MobileRead.
And with a little tweaking you can download LIT files from Fictionwise.

I have the ebw1150 and an 8 year old. The two go together very nicely! The ebw is very sturdy and easy for her to hold (although, she likes to prop it on a pillow ).
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #9
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
eBookman can be the option (price - $79.95):
http://www.ectaco.com/E-BookMan-900/
http://www.franklin.com/ebookman/
I had one several years ago and it can be used to read books in prc format.
This unit is pretty old but price is less than $100
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A second-hand Sony Clie would work well. Available cheaply on eBay, with a 320x320 TFT screen.

SJ-20, SJ-22 or SJ-30 would be my choice (latter two colour).

Paul

Quote:
My daughter used to use my iPAQ PDA phone to read some of the free ebooks available. We'd load it up for her to take on trips, etc. Well, her little sister took it in the bathtub and essentially killed it. I've wondered about replacing it with a less expensive reader so that she can continue to read her many ebooks on it, but I'm unsure which falls into that category.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
get any old pda that runs mobi pocket (anything with palm os) I got a http://www.amazon.com/Sony-PEG-SJ22-.../dp/B00008L3HI for 25 bucks on ebay for my GF, but then I got her a prs 505,

it makes a great reader. if you want it, ill sell it to you for 20 shipped (pay via paypal). just send me pm

its black and white, lasts for hours and hours, uses mobi pocket, and the backlight can be turned on and off.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I second (third?) the recommendation for a used Clié. My daughter borrowed mine, on and off, for about three years, since she was ten. Her younger sister has used it some, but is less interested in the books. Both were happy reading on the small screen, and liked the option of having a few games available.

Older daughter is now thirteen, and I'm getting her a Jetbook as her 8th grade graduation present. I don't think I'd get one for a child as young as 8, or even 10, if money is a real concern; I'm not sure a child that young could understand the fragility of the device. This is even though they both have hand-held Nintendo DS things of some sort--those are fairly sturdy when closed, and my younger daughter (who is ten) is prone to leaving hers on the edge of the table where it sometimes gets bumped to the floor.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
kressg23
Enthusiast

These are excellent suggestions!! I didn't even think to go with another PDA. I spent $350 on my IPAQ, so ruled that out as too expensive. Thanks for the offer to purchase yours, Andybaby, I think I'll take you up on that. Thanks!!