Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Need opinions on the tri-fold cover for Sony Reader (505)

EDIT: Sorry. I should have searched better. I found a post with a detailed description, pictures, etc.

Apologies for taking space/time...

Last edited by ozan; 03-20-2009 at 08:07 PM.
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post
EDIT: Sorry. I should have searched better. I found a post with a detailed description, pictures, etc.

Apologies for taking space/time...
I'm going to waste some more virtual space and tell you I bought the tri-fold cover for my 505 a couple of weeks ago when the hinge on the original cover broke. I absolutely LOVE it! My reader feels so much more secure in a cover that folds shut (with extra magnets). It has a really solid feel to it, and extra padding. I find the orange interior has really grown on me. Especially when the cover is closed, and you can see the orange edge around the black. I highly recommend it.

The *only* "negative" is that I'd bought a Book Armour zippered cover for when I travel, and the tri-fold, being a tad longer than the original cover, does not fit inside the Book Armour. Small price to pay, since I only used the Armour when I flew.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I wonder if it will fit the PRS-700, since it is only slightly bigger? There are still no accessories available besides the book Armour.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
I wonder if it will fit the PRS-700, since it is only slightly bigger? There are still no accessories available besides the book Armour.
What are the exact measurements of the 700? I'd be willing to measure the cover & see how it matches up.

Sayhello
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
What are the exact measurements of the 700? I'd be willing to measure the cover & see how it matches up.
Sayhello
Thanks, that's so good of you! I've been hunting for a tape measure or ruler with inches because I only know metric .
On the box it says: 5 1/8 x 6 7/8 x 13/32

The height and width seem correct, but I don't understand the '13/32' depth! Do you? I measured it myself, and came up with 3/8 th of an inch, is that the same? (9mm, so one could say 1 cm)

P.S. How do you read with the tri-fold cover on? Can it be folded back on 2 folds, or is the third fold, folded inwards? You couldn't perhaps post a photo, could you?

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-23-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
ozan
Enthusiast
ozan began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Quote:
P.S. How do you read with the tri-fold cover on? Can it be folded back on 2 folds, or is the third fold, folded inwards? You couldn't perhaps post a photo, could you?
Everything you need to know about the tri-fold cover is here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=tri-fold
ozan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #7
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozan View Post
Everything you need to know about the tri-fold cover is here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=tri-fold
Thanks!
I think the 700 is wider than the 505, and there seems to be a little extra space in the fold. According to what I can make out in the pics.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
sayhello
Addict

When folded up, the tri-fold is 4 7/8" wide on the inside, so it appears to be too narrow for the 700. It's 3/8" deep, and 6 7/8" between the hinges (tall). So the dimensions are good except for the width.

Sorry 'bout that...

Sayhello

Oh, and I read with the "extra" right-sided flap tucked behind the reader. Works really well. I'll post a pic if you still want/need one!

Last edited by sayhello; 03-23-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #9
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
When folded up, the tri-fold is 4 7/8" wide on the inside, so it appears to be too narrow for the 700. It's 3/8" deep, and 6 7/8" between the hinges (tall). So the dimensions are good except for the width.

Sorry 'bout that...

Sayhello

Oh, and I read with the "extra" right-sided flap tucked behind the reader. Works really well. I'll post a pic if you still want/need one!
I see the pic looked so promising with space in the width, but if it's under 5", it won't work well. Thanks for all the trouble though...
Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
The height and width seem correct, but I don't understand the '13/32' depth! Do you? I measured it myself, and came up with 3/8 th of an inch, is that the same? (9mm, so one could say 1 cm)
Pretty close, in that 3/8 == 6/16 == 12/32. In metric, 1" = 2.54 cm, so 13/32 of an inch = 1.03 cm
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Pretty close, in that 3/8 == 6/16 == 12/32. In metric, 1" = 2.54 cm, so 13/32 of an inch = 1.03 cm
Cool, thanks! I could never understand inches!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #12
sayhello
Addict

Quote:
I see the pic looked so promising with space in the width, but if it's under 5", it won't work well. Thanks for all the trouble though...
You are welcome. I think the "extra space" you saw was just because the cover was unfolded. When the cover is open, with the spine laying flat, there's a gap that shows up on the right because the left part of the reader is now sitting over the spine. When all folded up, the tri-fold cover is *VERY* snug around the 505...

Sorry it won't work for you.

Sayhello