Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
gponym
Enthusiast
gponym began at the beginning.

Device: none
Suggested *used* eReader for annotating PDFs?

I've never had an eReader (nor ever used anything but laptops/desktops when reading PDFs). But more and more I want to be able to cart around PDFs (often academic or technical, as well as popular or print-to-PDFs from websites) without having to print them.

Any thoughts on

- Suitable eReaders I can find used or refurbished?

- Hidden pitfalls if I get one that's 2 or more years old?

Here's more about what I think I need:

- Read outdoors or in bright light, so pretty convinced I'd like an eReader.

- Take anywhere, so prefer something not too expensive to lose (< $125).

- Want to annotate PDFs and save annotated files to share w/others (open file format).

- Smart and easy PDF zoom controls

- Virtually never buy an eBook.

- Use occasionally but not often with my library (has OverDrive).

- Think I want eInk Pearl (or better) but unsure.

- Willing to integrate Calibre into the picture.

Basically, I'm putting my toe in the water to find out how well I like using one of these beasties.

The new Onyx M96 looks like the best for my needs (aside from the really pricey new Sony DigitalPaper), but for this experiment I prefer not to spend $400.

The older 6-in Sonys seem workable, if they can save annotated PDFs in a commonly shareable format. (PRS-650, PRS-T1, T2, T3). Have not looked into prior models from Onyx and others.

- Worried about battery going dead on older readers, and cost or impossibility to replace.
- Probably should be worried about more stuff, but don't know what!

Thank you.
gponym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
A 6-inch reader is not going to be a good experience for reading PDFs, since most are formatted for an 8.5 x 11 inch page. Too much scrolling and zooming.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
A 6-inch reader is not going to be a good experience for reading PDFs, since most are formatted for an 8.5 x 11 inch page. Too much scrolling and zooming.
A lot of pdf books there are about A5 size though.

We can easily and quickly read, annotate and scribble those A5 pdfs on Sony Prs-t readers if we use k2pdfopt app to quickly crop it for landscape mode beforehand.

Also a lot of A4/letter-size pdfs are two-column pdfs that can easily be read using Sony's two-column mode or cropped with k2pdfopt's 2-column mode beforehand.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=11

Those who don't mind using two e-ink readers simultaneously can e.g. buy used Kindle DX for reading and Sony PRS-T for highlighting, annotating, scribbling, dictionary, quicker browsing etc. or they can simply use some 7" lightweight tablet and get even quicker auxiliary device with color.

e.g. if we wrapped one of those 246-280 grams tablets like Xperia Z3, Lenovo S5000, Galaxy Tab 4 Nook etc. around our wrist instead of a watch, we could hold both e-ink(hopefully DPT-S1) and tablet in one hand and scribble with another.

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analy...99-232677.html

There will probably be no quick enough, big, color e-ink reader around for years to come, so those who need to read A4 documents on e-ink screen better get used to using auxiliary color tablet when they need color, quicker scribbling in color, quicker browsing etc.

Last edited by markom; 10-07-2014 at 07:33 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
gponym
Enthusiast
gponym began at the beginning.

Device: none
@markom: thx for k2pdfopt tip, it's new to me. Good to know it does well on Sony prs-t* since they or prs-950 are favorites in my price range.

I've not looked much at tablets due to low battery life and fear they won't perform well enough outdoors; certainly they are otherwise enticing. Granted, at $125 or so I won't get even today's imperfect best.
gponym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academic use, annotation, pdf, used reader