Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #61
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Gift for you.

If nobody had invented that suit maybe someone else would've come up with something better
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #62
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If nobody had invented that suit maybe someone else would've come up with something better
The point isn't to oppose Lucas's "inventing" of Star Wars. It's to dispute the idea that the "new life breathed into science fiction" had anything to do with a Wizard of Oz football tournament, shoulder-padded spacesuits and glowing cheerleader batons.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-25-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Including poop and ice cream in the same post is just... wrong.

I'd be interested in this new book depending on what it's about. It will be nice when there's actually info about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You've just given me a great idea for a new flavor pitch to dog food companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
...Fido was wracked with indecision as to whether he should eat his Kibbles 'n' $hitz or just roll around in it.
My dog has developed a taste for poop, we are working on that, and already loves ice cream so she would be in heaven with poop flavored ice cream.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #64
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've never read or seen anything connected to the Twilight franchise so I can't offer an opinion there, but maybe your wife's enjoyment of the series is similar in some respects to the enjoyment I found as a teenager watching the original Dark Shadows TV series with my friends. For the most part the acting was bad, the writing was stilted, and the dialog was overblown; but the characters were lovable, and as corny as we knew the the plots to be, we quickly grew to care about their resolution. Above all, it was a hoot seeing boom microphones dropping down to screen level, reflections of cameramen and their equipment popping up in windows, shadows of crew members appearing in scenes where the actors were suppose to be alone, and a thousand other bloopers that seemed to occur on an almost daily basis.
OT, but I've just started watching Dark Shadows on Netflix and am loving it. You're right about still getting into the story and characters even with the bloopers and mistakes. A good story has merits of its own, even if the execution has flaws.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #65
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Potter may have been mediocre, but it did breathe new life into fantasy the way Star Wars helped sci-fi. I doubt we'd have had the wide spectrum of fantasy available today if she hadn't published it.

Sometimes a mediocre work at the right time is better than a masterpiece at the wrong one.
Apparently you have not been around, or paid much attention, to the fantasy that has been widely available since Tollkien really became popular in the late 60's into the next decade. I have had a multitude of such books yellowing and rotting away due to their age from those days (reason I am much more into ebooks now).

Don't assume what you do not know about does/did not exist ;-)
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #66
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I'm not saying Rowling is the bestest and greatest ever writer, but she knew (knows) how to capture most people's attention. She used attention to details and threw in all kinds of information throughout the books. She even managed to throw in some history in the form of mythology.
Some of the 'classics'? They put me to sleep every time I try to read them. It's not all of them, no, so I don't lump all 'classical literature' in the same category. I also do not discount modern writers because their works haven't been around long enough to become 'classic'.

Now, Twilight, that series made me want to gouge my eyes out, but it got my daughter reading so I'll give it a break.

I had an instructor tell me the difference between what most people call literature and modern writing was about 75 years and usually the author's death, probably in some horrible way after living a not so nice life.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #67
SpyderKB
SpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsSpyderKB can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: eBookwise eBook
Quote:
the difference between what most people call literature and modern writing was about 75 years and usually the author's death
Case in point:

And 75 years later:

SpyderKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #68
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Harry Potter isn't the best saga I have ever read but, as I started reading them as soon as they appeared, they had a fabulous influence on me which made me discover the pleasure of reading books. We shouldn't criticize the writing style or the depth of the story; we should acknowledge the great influence on every kind in the world who seemed to have ended up fine.

I'm looking forward to her new novel just out of curiosity.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:43 AM   #69
Abtacha
Addict
Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abtacha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
No that is reserved for the Twilight series...which I still don't understand how in the Gods' names my wife can enjoy. She universally pans the writting and thinks the themes are horrible, but she has also read the series at least 4 times over now.
That sounds like a case of So Bad It's Good (Warning, links to TVTropes).
Abtacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #70
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
We shouldn't criticize the writing style or the depth of the story; we should acknowledge the great influence on every kind in the world who seemed to have ended up fine.
Not to be a vast pulsating jerk about it, but when did we start issuing behavioral directives to one another using the royal we?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 AM   #71
micky2415
micky2415 doesn't littermicky2415 doesn't litter

Device: kindle
harry potter

was in my 40's when hp books loved the books and films only trouble with films 2 short last film in 2 parts great a lot of people started to read again after reading her books thanks jkr yes i will be reading her new book
micky2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #72
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Not to be a vast pulsating jerk about it, but when did we start issuing behavioral directives to one another using the royal we?
Pardon my audacity but the directives which I issued didn't have any kind of behavioral target. As you can see, by using the royal "should", I used me free will and issued just an advice which may or may not be listened. I believe this is a forum in which discussions and disparities regarding opinions are highly regarded.

Don't be sorry for being a "vast pulsating jerk". It's not your fault.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #73
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderKB View Post
Case in point:

And 75 years later:

the only HP i acknowledge lol
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #74
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

I understand now: Even though your English is quite good, it appears you might not be familiar with certain aspects of English usage as native speakers understand it. Using we should in this context can give the impression of the Queen of England issuing proclamations, which your clarification suggests is not what you meant to do at all.

Carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
Pardon my audacity but the directives which I issued didn't have any kind of behavioral target. As you can see, by using the royal "should", I used me free will and issued just an advice which may or may not be listened. I believe this is a forum in which discussions and disparities regarding opinions are highly regarded.

Don't be sorry for being a "vast pulsating jerk". It's not your fault.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-26-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #75
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Okay, its morning and I am still very groggy.
Somehow I juxtaposed Presti's "Vast Pulsating Jerk" comment with the Lovecraft covers.
Now I am envisioning Prestidigitweeze as a vast, tentacled Elder god...who looks disturbingly like William Shatner.
This will probably go away after I have some coffee.

Last edited by Phogg; 02-26-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: can't spell before coffee
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote