Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
How do I create chapters without a page-break between?

How do I have chapters run together on a single page, without a page-break. I'm recreating a book that doesn't page-break at new chapters. There's just a little bit of space and then a new chapter number and on you go. I've seen this done in ebooks before but really can't find a decent example right now to look at.

Even though there isn't a page-break, each chapter is setup as a separate html file. There are no page-before options set. I don't know if something isn't coded right in Sigil or if it's a Calibre issue when I do my final conversion to mobi. I don't see options set there that I think would be causing it either. Do I need to have all fifty some-odd chapters setup as one single html file with the chapter headers marked within the file? It doesn't seem like that would make a difference but maybe it does.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
How do I have chapters run together on a single page, without a page-break. I'm recreating a book that doesn't page-break at new chapters. There's just a little bit of space and then a new chapter number and on you go. I've seen this done in ebooks before but really can't find a decent example right now to look at.

Even though there isn't a page-break, each chapter is setup as a separate html file. There are no page-before options set. I don't know if something isn't coded right in Sigil or if it's a Calibre issue when I do my final conversion to mobi. I don't see options set there that I think would be causing it either. Do I need to have all fifty some-odd chapters setup as one single html file with the chapter headers marked within the file? It doesn't seem like that would make a difference but maybe it does.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

- Byron
50 Chapters is probably bigger than 260K (If Calibre splits the chapter part file, it probably is.), Many readers can't handle that in a single segment.

Look in the Style sheet for a "page-break-before:...", that may give you some control.
I suggest you read up on that before doing wild things with the setting:
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
50 Chapters is probably bigger than 260K (If Calibre splits the chapter part file, it probably is.), Many readers can't handle that in a single segment.

Look in the Style sheet for a "page-break-before:...", that may give you some control.
I suggest you read up on that before doing wild things with the setting:
Nope, I don't think the size has anything to do with it. I have mine set larger than that anyway, larger than the entire size of the ebook. Also, it isn't breaking at odd places or anything. It's breaking at each and every chapter heading. I just don't see anything in Calibre that tells it to do that and I've checked my stylesheet in Sigil and the class I'm using for my chapter headers doesn't have page-break-before set at all.

I'll keep playing and looking for another response. Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

- Byron
Old 12-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Even though there isn't a page-break, each chapter is setup as a separate html file..
- Byron
I just checked this. If the chapters are separate html files you will get page-breaks for the beginning of each chapter regardless of the fact you didn't specify a page-break in the css. If you don't want page-breaks you'll have to have all the chapters in one html file.

There might be something else you can do but I don't have more time to experiment. You could try playing around with any of the following:
page-break-inside: avoid;
page-break-after: avoid;
page-break-before: avoid;
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Yes, it does. If each chapter is in a separate HTML file, you'll always get a page break before (in most readers).

See Valloric's post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55960
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
bfollowell
Fanatic

Thanks guys for confiming what I was already starting to believe.

I may try combining the files into one file with the heading tags to differentiate between the chapters. The total text of the book is less than 500 or 600k so that should work.

It just may not be worth it though. I'll try it and see how it works and how it looks.

Thanks again everyone.

- Byron
Old 12-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
Ahmad Samir
Zealot
Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Ahmad Samir , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Thanks guys for confiming what I was already starting to believe.

I may try combining the files into one file with the heading tags to differentiate between the chapters. The total text of the book is less than 500 or 600k so that should work.

It just may not be worth it though. I'll try it and see how it works and how it looks.

Thanks again everyone.

- Byron
I had the same query when I started using the ePub format; in the end I reached the conclusion that it has more pros to have them as separate files (e.g. Sigil is much faster dealing with the split xhtml files than with one big file when changing from Book View to Code View or vice versa).
Ahmad Samir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir View Post
I had the same query when I started using the ePub format; in the end I reached the conclusion that it has more pros to have them as separate files (e.g. Sigil is much faster dealing with the split xhtml files than with one big file when changing from Book View to Code View or vice versa).
Portable readers load lots faster when chapter size files.

That includes those with small graphics.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Just an opinion but I really prefer my chapters to start on a fresh page rather than a continuous run. It also makes for much easier editing.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic

I agree with you guys. It's just that I'm trying to recreate a book as close to the original as the ebook medium will allow.

It's going well but I have definitely noticed a little speed decrease working with much larger files. It's not too bad though.

- Byron
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I agree with you guys. It's just that I'm trying to recreate a book as close to the original as the ebook medium will allow.

It's going well but I have definitely noticed a little speed decrease working with much larger files. It's not too bad though.

- Byron
I am the new page for a chapter type, also!
but a long book will probably have Parts,
Compromize
Start at a Part break.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #12
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Thats not possible or does not really makes sense. We had that in the beginning of the WWW where everyone tried to be as close as possible to flyers or catalogs. The results where "best viewed with..." banner, "your browser does not support frames" and so one.

In epubs you dont have pagenumbers (well, readers sometimes show them, but they will vary from reader to reader and have nothing to with the real books page numbering), you dont have headers nor footers, footnotes are not at the end of a page but are clickable right in the text. For a good navigation the table of content should not be in the book itself as text but in the meta data, you do not have control over the font size and often not over the font itself.

So why insist in a continuous flow over chapters?
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
The total text of the book is less than 500 or 600k so that should work.
Please keep in mind, that some readers will not be able to read a book if the xhtml-files are larger than 300k. I believe that the sony readers have that issue, but I think more.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
bfollowell
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Please keep in mind, that some readers will not be able to read a book if the xhtml-files are larger than 300k. I believe that the sony readers have that issue, but I think more.
True, but my readers don't have a problem with that and this is one I'm creating for personal use, not public. Thanks for the reminder though.

- Byron
Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

You should not insist in assumptions like that. "640k should be enough for everyone" is of the same kind. Better keep track for limitations, you dont know what your next reader is able to handle after your current one is not working any more.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote