Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
Smile Finished my eighth book on the reader

HI, I'm Mitchll and I'm a bookaholic. I just finished my eighth book on the reader and couldn't be more satisfied. Yes, I can think of many improvements to be made, and many issues with the reader, but the point is that the reader becomes invisible very quickly and reading very easy.

I had an rocket ebook when they came out; it was too heavy, difficult to read for any length of time and just nor there yet. Reading on my Tablet PC (Motion) just doesn't do it.

I've read books from connect; and books from fictionwise I've converted using convertlit and book design. While my formatting isn't quite there yet, the reader works well on the converted tests and I enjoyed the books.

The reader certainly isn't at the ebook destination yet, but you can enjoy this ride!
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
Khisanthus
Khisanthus began at the beginning.

Device: soon...
Disagree..

I think the hardware is complete...so the reader is at the destination...Sony just seems to have farmed out the interface software to an undergraduate intern.

The only refinements the hardware really seems to cry for is an expandable screen or an interactive screen a la Iliad. But those need to come down in price for cost to meet effectiveness.
Khisanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll
HI, I'm Mitchll and I'm a bookaholic. I just finished my eighth book on the reader and couldn't be more satisfied.
Eight books in two weeks? Slacker! I'm on my tenth.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khisanthus
I think the hardware is complete...so the reader is at the destination...Sony just seems to have farmed out the interface software to an undergraduate intern.

The only refinements the hardware really seems to cry for is an expandable screen or an interactive screen a la Iliad. But those need to come down in price for cost to meet effectiveness.
I agree that the software is in need of a serious rework, but I'm not personally ready to say the hardware has reached its penultimate state. There needs to be either a touch screen or some alternate method of data input, and frankly if ETI can put that in a $100 reader and still make a profit, I don't think the marginal cost is that high.

I suspect, and it's just a suspicion, that Sony may have lacked the time to add the software to utilize such a screen, and that time to market, and not cost, were the driving reasons behind its lack.

As for harware wishlist, about the only other think that I'd really like after the touchscreen is larger page turn buttons a la the eBookwise 1150/Gemstar 1150, and perhaps a dedicated book toggle button that switches between active titles.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #5
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Someone remarks on another thread that great technology seems to fade into the background. Someone famous (like that Steve Jobs guy) might have said it, but it is a common enough sentiment. The super awesome technology makes itself not only invisible but essential--like TV, coffee, or ice (I Would argue that all of them are tied to technological advantages).

Nice to see that there is enough of a blend of shiny-new-tech & organic experience in the reader. Good for you Mitchell (I'm being sincere; would never have the patience to transfer/convert files, & envy you the wise choice of reading rather than vegetating in front of the TV.)

To ad my two cents, I think that the eReader--any one--will not have reached its destination until the *hard*ware is actually not, but is as flexible and durable as a big bundle of paper.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I finished the new Ludlum p-book today. It was a good book but a tiresome reading experience. The effort required to hold it with two hands, the physical turning of each page; would you believe to go back or forth in it required turning page after page? On top of that I needed a light shining on it and it was heavy to hold!

Don't lose track of the progress which is reflected in the Sony reader in a search for perfection. It took centuries to go from cave walls to paper; and centuries more to the ebook (and spray paint on building walls?)!

Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by Mitchll; 10-31-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mitchell-

When I first learned of the device from a link on fark.com, I thought "Wow. That's cool."
So many people ranted about it, and considered it just an expensive toy.

The Reader looks awesome, and represents an amazing advance in tech & acceptance of other new tech. Was simply putting in for the argument that the journey is far from over
Old 10-31-2006, 12:30 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
... frankly if ETI can put that in a $100 reader and still make a profit, I don't think the marginal cost is that high.

I suspect, and it's just a suspicion, that Sony may have lacked the time to add the software to utilize such a screen, and that time to market, and not cost, were the driving reasons behind its lack.
I'm guessing ETI isn't using e-ink? The best guess I can get on the cost of a 6" e-ink screen is somewhere around $150~$200 ....

That makes me think that your suspicion, while quite logical, may not be entirely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
perhaps a dedicated book toggle button that switches between active titles.
You can actually do this with the Mark button: when you want to switch titles, add a bookmark, and then hold the Mark button down till it pulls up the all bookmarks page, and you can go to a bookmark in any book. Then use the same method to switch back when you're ready.

On the other hand, I'd agree that calling this hardware perfect might be a bit of an exageration. The best reading optimized hardware that has come along in the last 20 years ... that I'd agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I think that the eReader--any one--will not have reached its destination until the *hard*ware is actually not, but is as flexible and durable as a big bundle of paper.
Actually, I like the fact that my Reader doesn't close or flip pages on me just 'cause I'm not physically restraining the pages. I see the lack of big floppy paper bundle replication to be a plus.

I agree with you both that there's still a lot of road we can walk down on this e-reading thing, but I also want to enjoy the advent of a very significant milestone in that journey.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #9
Cthulhu
Technologist

@ NatCh:

Don't get me wrong; I like the compact-ness of the Reader. But as someone who is a running gag for the demise of gadgets--add to that the fact that I work on a boat (fresh water, not as hostile as the marine environment), I am usually afraid of gadgets; moreover, how gadgets will fare in my hands. Pay a pretty penny for insurane on my Treo, but it's worth it.

I mentioned flexibility and durability. My copy of _On The Road_ has been around the world, more or less. Its battered and dog-eared, but operable.

My contention, or worry, is that if I buy a Reader, will forget that its a (possibly) delicate device, and I can easily see breaking it.

Maybe the Reader is not the petite-fleur I make it out to be; have yet to play with one in person. I just know for myself that I need tough electronics.

The Reader Rocks.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think it's probably not the most ruggedized bit of electronics, so I can understand your concerns. I'd probably just read paper in that sort of a case, if you couldn't have any reasonable assurances of treating it carefully. You can get accidental handling insurance, though. Don't know how many incidents they allow for, or if there is a deductible. (Should know since I bought it, but you know how that goes.) It definitely would let you carry a lot of books in a small space. But if you are out on the water for long periods, you'd eventually need a way to charge it also.

But like you say, it's a really cool e-book reader. You'll have to let us know what you decide to do!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess the ziploc method wouldn't be sufficient there.

You might also explore personal article insurance from your regular insurance carrier. I don't know how it would apply there, and HomeOwners/Renters insurance sometimes covers such things.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Cthulhu
Technologist

The second laptop I had was a fancy (for the time) SONY VAIO. Didn't close the lid one day, and b/c of a leaky deck....know that funny bit in movies when they upend a fancy gadget & water spills out? Yes.

Besides being near water, like when I get and off the boat or do washdown, the tru danger is just me. I am rough on my toys.

I maintain a charter boat, and my days of being underweigh for any length of time are most likely long gone.

Mainly, am worried about rolling over on it in my sleep or dropping it down the ladder to my room., stuff like that.
Other people have mentioned M-Edge covers. Wonder if Otterbox will ever make one?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #13
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I'm guessing ETI isn't using e-ink? The best guess I can get on the cost of a 6" e-ink screen is somewhere around $150~$200 ....

That makes me think that your suspicion, while quite logical, may not be entirely correct.
You are correct in that ETI is using standard LCD - and the point I was trying to make wasn't that the eReader should be $100 - gads no! - but that the marginal cost of a 6 inch touch screen layer on top of the display layer would need to be far less than $10 on a product that retails for $100, as do the ETI 1150s. On a product retailing for $349, the only sane reason I can think of for not implementing a touch screen, therefore, wouldn't primarily be cost of the individual touch screen. More likely cost of development and time-to-market.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah! Now I'm with you, BuddyBoy.

I think at least part of the reason that they didn't do the touch screen is that they were aiming to optimize the Reader for reading, and therefore left off most of the more involved interaction funtionalities.

Someone else suggested (around here, somewhere ... ) that there might be some power saving motivation for leaving off a touch screen, specifically. I don't know enough about that tech to venture a guess on that. Not one that'd be worth anything, anyway.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I used to build sailboats a few(many few) years ago. After losing a 300buck drill to the muck of the harbor, I took the habit of carrying all my tools in a floatable icebox.
What you'd need is an underwater camera box! That is if you can find one the right size!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 11-02-2006 at 09:23 AM. Reason: stupid typos again!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote