Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
Htm to lrf ???? Am I missing something?

Hello...

Such a newbie at all this, so I appreciate your tolerating my ignorance, but here goes: I have discovered the lib2go online converter and it is doing GREAT for most of the things I wish to convert. However, some of the files I download from gutenburg.org are htm *not* html and it won't take them. Any help getting these converted would be appreciated.
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Rename the file with "html" instead of "htm" on the end and it'll work.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

What if there is a folder associated with the file? I seem to get some warning messages when I do that with some that have a folder associated with them. It did work with a couple I was trying to do, thank you!

Love that profile pic, Elfwreck. :-)
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It shouldn't matter if there's a folder associated with it. Changing the file extension doesn't change any of the html code within.

.htm is a legacy extension from when Windows/dos required 8+3 filenames--8 characters and three for the extension. It's functionally identical to .html. (I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone will jump in and correct me.) You get the warning message because you're changing the file extension, and the warning system doesn't have a way to check "are you changing it to something that works exactly like it did before?"

In case of doubt, make a backup copy before changing anything.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Have you ever tried Calibre? That is a lot easier to work with. Files associated with a folder are no problem either and you get even an illustrated LRF that way!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer

Lib2go is an online program that uses Calibre. I use it at work, with files on my flash drive, when I don't have access to Calibre. It's easier to use than Calibre--because it has no settings involved. Just upload, set limited metadata (which can be glitchy), click "convert," and poof, there's your epub or lrf file. There's no image options, no setting margins, no library management. (And very large files don't work. I couldn't get 10mb PDFs to convert.)

It hadn't occurred to me that the OP might not know about Calibre, which is definitely much better for regular use.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

If I use Calibre, (which I just downloaded), do I quit using the Sony software?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
If you want. But, you can't buy eBooks from the Sony store any way other than the sony software.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
You can if you want to. I use the Sony software to manage my books/collections and use Calibre to do conversions.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote