Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #1
maciekdendzik
maciekdendzik began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Maxima or other CAS?

Hi all,

I am a fresh owner of the iliad reader and I was wondering if it is possible to port maxima or other CAS. What do you think?
maciekdendzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
If it can run Linux, it could run Maxima IMO. The GUI might be another matter entirely though.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
maciekdendzik

Is anyone interested in this project? I have lot of free time recently but I am not so into porting to manage to this alone. However, If only someone could help me it would be wonderful. IMO maxima would be extremely useful for students.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
If it can run Linux, it could run Maxima IMO. The GUI might be another matter entirely though.
I've just checked the screenshot section of maxima, and it looks as there are four front-eds (GUIs) available: command-line, emacs, texmacs and Xmaxima (uses tcl/tk).

compiling maxima can be reasonable (it doesn't have many dependencies, see http://packages.debian.org/etch/maxima ), and xmaxima is also reasonable (tcl/tk is the only dependency, and I've compiled tcl/tk for the iliad in the past without much trouble, although I finally ended not testing it).

What I don't know if texmacs would be a better front-end for students (I used in the past mathcad and its document oriented paradigm was very useful for me then). OTOH, Texmacs can be very tough to compile (has a lot of dependencies).

My two cents .

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekdendzik View Post
Is anyone interested in this project? I have lot of free time recently but I am not so into porting to manage to this alone. However, If only someone could help me it would be wonderful. IMO maxima would be extremely useful for students.
I don't have time for it, but I can try to answer any* question you have about iliad development. I have not used the official toolchain, but the unofficial scratchbox-based one; If you want to try i can assist you in your troubles :-).

And I'm sure other developers will assist you too!

* Well, really not any question, but a lot of them nevertheless O:-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
I've just checked the screenshot section of maxima, and it looks as there are four front-eds (GUIs) available: command-line, emacs, texmacs and Xmaxima (uses tcl/tk).
There's also wxMaxima based on wxWidgets. I think this would be the easiest way to port the application.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
maciekdendzik

Need help with this:
Code:
[sbox-iliad: ~/src.maxima/maxima-5.15.0] > ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /scratchbox/tools/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking build system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... arm-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for iconv... true
checking for recode... true
checking for clisp... false
checking for gcl... false
checking for lisp... false
checking for scl... false
checking for sbcl... false
checking for lisp... false
checking for openmcl... false
configure: error: No lisp implementation specified and none of the default executables clisp(clisp),gcl(GCL),lisp(CMUCL),scl(SCL),sbcl(SBCL),lisp(ACL),openmcl(OpenMCL) were found in PATH
1)I started with clisp-2.46 and I got after ./configure:

Code:
config.status: creating po/Makefile
Configure findings:
  FFI:        no (user requested: default)
  readline:   no (user requested: default)
  libsigsegv: yes
./makemake     > Makefile
make: `config.lisp' is up to date.

To continue building CLISP, the following commands are recommended
  (cf. unix/INSTALL step 4 ff):
    cd src
    vi config.lisp
# The default stack size on your platform is insufficient
# and must be increased to at least 16384.  You must do either
# 'ulimit -s 16384' (for Bourne shell derivatives, e.g., bash and zsh)
# or 'limit stacksize 16384' (for C shell derivarives, e.g., tcsh)
    make
    make check
Make doesn't work in the main folder but after typing make in clisp/src I get:
Code:
qemu: uncaught target signal 4 (Illegal instruction) - exiting
make: *** [interpreted.mem] Error 252
2)This error I get with gcl:
Code:
checking whether gcc unsigned division works... configure: WARNING: unrecognised gcc version string: sbox-arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-cc (GCC) 3.4.2
Copyright (C) 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
no, gcc <= 2.95.3
configure: error: could not find a working compiler
#
#
#
# Subconfigure of GMP done
# ------------------------
#
cp: cannot stat `gmp3/gmp.h': No such file or directory
checking for leading underscore in object symbols... no
checking for GNU ld option -Map... yes
checking for size of gmp limbs... Cannot determine mpsize
Anyone?
PS:
Has anybody ported lisp implementation?
Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #7
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I have tried to compile it too, and I got just as far as you. I couldn't find a working LISP compiler... One of the compilers I tried (I think it was gcl*) even required itself for compilation, very strange.

I've also tried to install a binary package from packages.debian.org (arm), with no success so far: Installation of the gcl package works, but compiling maxima fails:
Code:
configure: error: The gcl executable "gcl" was not compiled with
the --enable-ansi flag, which is required for Maxima.
The gcl ANSI-CL check returned
"MAXIMA_GCL_ANSI_TEST_FAILURE".
I then tried to recompile the gcl sources, and configure didn't complain about a wrong gcc version anymore. But it didn't work out, I had problems with some libraries gcl depends on...

I think this is the right way (1. get a precompiled LISP package, 2. compile maxima, 3. throw LISP away ). Maybe you have more luck...

* EDIT It was the cmucl compiler:
Quote:
In order to build CMU CL, you will need:
a) A working CMU CL binary. There is no way around this requirement!

Last edited by -Thomas-; 07-20-2008 at 06:48 PM.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
I have tried to compile it too, and I got just as far as you. I couldn't find a working LISP compiler... One of the compilers I tried (I think it was gcl*) even required itself for compilation, very strange.
I've tried to compile clisp 2.29 as recommended by:

http://www.math.psu.edu/glasner/Max_doc/faq.html#Lisp0

But it fails to compile, because the iliad uses softfloat instead of FPA (floating point hardware, that would be emulated and slower); that is perfectly documented in the debian arm eabi port, which has the exact same problem:

http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiProble...b009075a9eb8ed

That page directs to this one

http://mat.exon.name/logs/clisp

Where a partial solution is presented but is waiting for someone else to give it another go to get it running :-/.

So it seems that clisp is a dead-end in the iliad for now :-(.

Another way would be to cross-compile cmucl; that is theoretically possble, as this post
http://osdir.com/ml/lisp.cmucl.devel.../msg00178.html
mentions that in tools/README of the CMUcl distribution there is a "Step-by-Step Example of Cross-Compiling CMUCL".

Is there anyone willing to try it? O:-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I tried Euler ages ago, but got stuck with running the binary on iLiad. Many warnings w/o starting of the app.
http://euler.sourceforge.net/
The Windows version of Euler comes with Maxima by the way; but the linux version is lacking many features.
http://mathsrv.ku-eichstaett.de/MGF/.../overview.html
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote