Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 AM   #1
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Talking Help a fello returnee with the kindle voyage

So this week i received my Kindle Voyage and it appears it's one that has the OS bugs. Mainly if i let it go to sleep for more than an hour i have to reset it to get it working ok again.
I can live with it by simply doing a reset before leaving home/work.

Before the voyage i was using a Cybook (which i gave to a cousin in the PT navy) to do my reading (mainly indy and Baen books), and i'm a little out of touch with the current kindle development

I've been reading the threads and would appreciate if one of the gurus could indicate if i got everything right.
  • An update was released for the Voyage but it doesn't solve the OS problems (i've installed it and can confirm).
  • The voyage currently has no jailbrake.
  • The voyage currently has no hack for the screensavers, fonts and paragraphs/margins.
  • The voyage currently has no dual system (Duokan).

I'm guessing the OS problems will eventually get sorted out, so i'll just keep using the voyage. (not really wanting to wait a few weeks to get a replace unit)
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really would recommend returning it to Amazon. It's faulty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I concur -- this is not normal behavior.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I don't see how that could be an OS problem. If it were, all Voyages would have the same problem.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Offie
Enthusiast
Offie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with othersOffie plays well with others

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Voyage
Here's my experience with these bugs, just to testify as to how puzzling they are.
My Kindle Voyage had them. I did factory resets, etc, to no avail. They stopped for two days then came back. I really thought they would never go away definitively so I got a replacement. The day before I received the replacement, the bugs had disappeared. They have not reappeared since. Isn't that crazy?
I don't what what did the trick, if anything. The bugs went away before the update so I don't know.
So I kept my original Voyage because it had a better screen and sent back the replacement. It has been bug-free for a little over two weeks. I hope the problems won't come back, but if they do... I think like you, that with some time Amazon will get that fixed, so, I'm not too worried about that.
Who knows, with luck your Voyage will stop having bugs too.

+ as nobody answered your question: as far as I know, the facts you mentioned in your first post are all true.

Last edited by Offie; 11-27-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Offie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Thanks for the various reply's. It seems to be related to auto-sleep and the time it sleeps.
From my normal usage it seems if i power down with the button the only error that occurs is if i try to call the top menu. If i let auto-sleep the device eventually losses the screensaver image, presenting the page where it went to sleep. If i still try to use it it eventually locks up not responding to presses.

Anybody knows a way to turn off auto sleep?
Old 11-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat View Post
Thanks for the various reply's. It seems to be related to auto-sleep and the time it sleeps.
From my normal usage it seems if i power down with the button the only error that occurs is if i try to call the top menu. If i let auto-sleep the device eventually losses the screensaver image, presenting the page where it went to sleep. If i still try to use it it eventually locks up not responding to presses.

Anybody knows a way to turn off auto sleep?
The only way I can think of for it to go from showing the sleep image to showing a page in a book is for it to wake up.

Maybe it has some indexing to do, or it wants to phone home about something. Maybe auto sleep sets a timer to wake up from time to time.

During the K2 days, some people (including me) had trouble (even manually) putting it to sleep while in a book. Someone claimed returning to the home page before sleeping would prevent wakeup problems. That seemed to work for me and I still do it out of habit.

Do you leave it in airport mode, or do you keep wireless on?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
Henrycat
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The only way I can think of for it to go from showing the sleep image to showing a page in a book is for it to wake up.

Maybe it has some indexing to do, or it wants to phone home about something. Maybe auto sleep sets a timer to wake up from time to time.

During the K2 days, some people (including me) had trouble (even manually) putting it to sleep while in a book. Someone claimed returning to the home page before sleeping would prevent wakeup problems. That seemed to work for me and I still do it out of habit.

Do you leave it in airport mode, or do you keep wireless on?
Right now i have it in airport mode since i'm mainly reading my Baen webscriptions. Previously i had it with wifi to read some freebies i got from Amazon and it seems the errors happened the same.

I don't think the home screen will help since i've rebooted the device and allowed it to sleep from the home screen and the error still happened (locking up). Maybe tonight i'll try to do it with the wifi on.

Last edited by Henrycat; 12-01-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:51 AM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrycat View Post
Right now i have it in airport mode since i'm mainly reading my Baen webscriptions. Previously i had it with wifi to read some freebies i got from Amazon and it seems the errors happened the same.

I don't think the home screen will help since i've rebooted the device and allowed it to sleep from the home screen and the error still happened (locking up). Maybe tonight i'll try to do it with the wifi on.
I think everyone above are correct. you should return it for a replacement or refund.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
Henrycat
Zealot

I've contacted amazon and i'm currently waiting for the replacement unit.
When it arrives in a week or two i'll return this device.