Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Need e-reader - physical buttons + light

I've had an hanlin V3 for 8 years. I broke it this week, so now I get to go shopping again.

I know my reading style, so it has to have to have physical buttons, sideloading epubs and a nice light (preferably it should NOT melt my eyes).

The other feature I would like would be a screen bigger than 6'', so I was looking at the Kobo Aura HD (6.8''). Unfortunately, the lack of physical buttons is a deal-breaker. The bigger screen is not a mandatory feature. Just a nice one.

I'm considering:

The Pocketbook Touch Lux
http://www.pocketbook-int.com/il/pro...book-touch-lux

The Icarus Illumina HD
http://194.33.112.113/~icarusre/open...&product_id=51

The Cybook Odyssey HD FL
http://www.bookeen.com/en/cybook-odyssey-hd-frontlight

These all seem like the same device, with the same screen and same functions with minor differences. Please tell me if I'm wrong. Is the light too harsh on your eyes or something?

And what about waiting a month or two (I'dd rather not). Will it get me a bigger screen?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by gmvasco; 10-03-2013 at 07:00 AM.
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Same screen, yes. Same functions, no. Of course, basic reading functions are similar on all readers. But as to the more advanced functions there are major differences. E.g. not all of them have dictionaries. And PocketBook is the only reader that has multitasking. And how about a tweak to increase the contrast? Yes, PocketBook has it.

If advanced features are relevant for you, the PocketBook Touch Lux would be your best choice. If all you want to do is basic reading, then any of these three will be good for you.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
One thing to consider is that the lighting and the speed of these devices might not be on a par with the Kobo Aura HD. That may well not matter as much to you as the page turn buttons though?

I'd thought about getting the PocketBook Lux, but the slower page turns and not so good light compared to the Kindle Paperwhite shown in this comparison video puts me off a little.

Not sure where you are and if you'd be interested but Nook may well announce a new e-reader sometime this month, and they've retained the page turn buttons up to now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
gmvasco
Enthusiast
gmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enoughgmvasco will become famous soon enough

Zetmolm, thanks for your input, I don't use dictionaries when reading, and I don't multi-task. I use them just to read.

l_macd, I went on a rumor hunt about the new Nook, and it made me wait until more is known about it before deciding. Thanks for the tip.

With that in mind, I went to my local library and picked up a couple of novels outside my usual genre (they don't carry enough sci-fi) to keep me for the next couple of weeks.
Can you believe that I actually find page turning a task now? Talk about getting spoiled.
gmvasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #5
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
Zetmolm, thanks for your input, I don't use dictionaries when reading, and I don't multi-task. I use them just to read.
I think the Icarus Illumina HD looks good, there is a new review at http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ina-hd-ereader

Some people think that it does not have enough features, but it would seem to meet your (and my) requirements. Like you I am holding off to see what may be available from nook, onyx and pocketbook in the next month or two.
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmvasco View Post
Can you believe that I actually find page turning a task now? Talk about getting spoiled.
Yes, we truly are spoiled. My point about the slower page turns on the PocketBook Lux (and from the video review of the Icarus Illumina HD) compared to the latest Kindle & Kobo's is probably a good example of that too. I'm used to instant page turns with the buttons of my Kindle 3, I want the same from a touch-screen too (even if I might use page turn buttons!).

As for the 'effort' of turning a page in a physical book, I'm guilty of that too. I read a paperback last year, and hated having to hold it open and turn the pages.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
The comparison video is clearly biased. For the startup speed, they compare the Kindle coming to life from standby against a full reboot of the PocketBook. Resuming from standby is also instantaneous on the PocketBook. And they ignored the setting on the PocketBook to show the last read page as the startup screen so that even if you do a full reboot you can continue reading while the system loads.

As to page turning, on the PocketBook it makes quite a difference which reading app you're using: Adobe reader and FBReader are built in, and you can easily install CoolReader. The one on the video is the Adobe reader, the slowest of the three.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote