Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was wondering when the pedantic subgenre distinction cops would show up.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #17
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:

If only the request wasn't as pedantic, no police would have to show up.
But the request wasn't just fantasy. There's that High in there, and you have to do something with it, pay attention to it....otherwise these things come back to bite you in the....form of subgenre police.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You'll never take me alive, copper!

But seriously, to find someone guilty of first-degree subgenre misrepresentation, you must prove there was a wanton intent to decieve. I see no evidence of that here. Besides... I've never found the term 'high' fantasy to be a very useful classification, myself. It tends to dissolve/blur upon close scrutiny.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Actually - I was wondering myself whether the "high" was important in the request. I had to look it up the sub-genre (I'm such an ignoramus).

I was going to offer up Pale Queen's Courtyard that I just reviewed, but by the definition I read, I don't believe it's epic/high fantasy. But if you like a fantasy based on Mesopotamia that isn't epic - have at it.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have a vague memory that CJ Cherryh's The Paladin was based on a far eastern type of setting. I don't normally like her fantasy as much as her SF, but I seem to recall liking this one.

It's been a while, though, and I could be totally misremembering.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Well, in fairness, it's reasonable to assume that the OP cares, or else they wouldn't have specified "high fantasy" as opposed to mere "fantasy". Not - I should add - that I actually know what "high fantasy" is myself .

Last edited by HarryT; 06-25-2013 at 09:12 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Well, in fairness, it's reasonable to assume that the OP cares, or else they wouldn't have specified "high fantasy" as opposed to mere "fantasy". Not - I should add - that I actually know what "high fantasy" is myself .
Of course it's reasonable. It's also reasonable to assume they (the OP) can use their own judgment as to which recommendations "qualify"--without external curation.

What's unreasonable is to think that any one definition of "High Fantasy" (if there even WERE one definition) encompasses/excludes works absolutely. That there's no room for interpretation.

It's perfectly acceptable for anyone to have their own ideas about what constitutes "high" fantasy, it's just not wise (or very helpful) to assume those ideas represent some sort of canon that can then be applied like a "loving mallet of correction" to the recommendations of others deemed "wrong."

tl;dr version: two out of three (non-western, fantasy) ain't bad!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #23
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll suggest Eric Van Lustbader's Sunset Warrior series.

Some of his thrillers touch on fantasy, such as his Ninja series, but not as much in the "high" fantasy tradition.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Daniel Abraham's Long Price Quartet is excellent. It's influenced by medieval Asian culture in the same way most fantasy is influenced by medieval European culture.

The books are A Shadow in Summer, A Betrayal in Winter, An Autumn War and The Price of Spring. They stand alone but the later books have spoilers for the earlier ones.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
Wow, didn't think my request would creat such a discussion lol!

To be honest, the "high" part isn't a strict requirement, I am mostly interested in non-European cultural fantasy. I really want to read something fantastical that involves different folkelore, something set in ancient times, but doesn't have knights in castles and a wizard with a pointy hat. This is why I like GRR Martin and Joe Abercrombie, they have some of the classical elements but add (albeit fictional) foreign culture and history, so I am looking for something more "authentic"

Thanks for all the recommendations, I shall investigate them all thoroughly on the weekend, and please carry on the conversation or add any other recommendations!
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #26
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
A few additional recs.

Aliette de Bodard's Obsidian and Blood omnibus - Set in an Aztec world

Lian Hearn's Tales of the Otori series - Set in feudal Japan

Almost any of Nalo Hopkinson's book - most set in the Caribbean

Howard Andrew Jones' The Desert of Souls and The Waters of Eternity - set in ancient Arabia

Karen Lord's Redemption in Indigo set in Africa
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
You might want to have a look at the Malazan Book of the Fallen too then. Many different cultures are represented and while there are knights and castles of sorts, they're certainly not the usual fare. And though the series has wizards too, there are no pointy hats in sight. There's bucketfuls of gritty realism however.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #28
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post

If only the request wasn't as pedantic, no police would have to show up.
But the request wasn't just fantasy. There's that High in there, and you have to do something with it, pay attention to it....otherwise these things come back to bite you in the....form of subgenre police.
I have not even noticed high
I take back all posted recommendations! Do not read ever no matter what
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would suggest N.K. Jemisin, then, as well as the oft-mentioned Saladin Ahmed.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #30
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The Empire trilogy starting with "Daughter of the Empire" by Janny Wurtz. The world is a mix of Japanese/Aztecish.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote