Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Publishing Directly to Amazon

Sooooo

What is the best way to make a file for Amazon? I have tried their recommendation of using Word to create HTML, and I have tried directly uploading the DOC. Neither seemed to go well (books went fine, but TOC did not work). What I have that does seem to work is save as RTF from Word and use Calbri to convert to MOBI, then upload that MOBI which Amazon converts to umm MOBI. Then the TOC works, and looks like formatting/etc stays as anticipated.

What have the rest of you done?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have uploaded word (docx) files. I only have a couple of books that have Tables of Contents including the one I just uploaded and those seemed to work fine. If I remember correctly when I was first testing all this it did not work properly with an older .doc file.

Formatting is still a bit hit or miss. I know that one of my poems in the poetry book has specific indentation requirements and putting spaces in did not work, but using tabs in the .docx file worked. I have no idea about other types of formatting issues.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I make a html in Dreamweaver and use Mobicreator to add the cover and make it into a mobi. That way I can check what it looks like on a real Kindle before I upload it.

There's a list of mobi-specific tags you can use here for things like page breaks:

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...agref_mobi.xml
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote