Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
More Questions

I can't be bothered anymore trying to get ADE to find my Kobo so I thought I would concentrate on getting some actual ebooks on to it.

I thought since Calibre *sees* my Kobo I would try and load up books from that. I haven't really used Calibre that much and I was wondering if it was easy to use on Ubuntu? Since Ubuntu is different to Windows would I be better off getting a DRM free book and putting it on Calibre and transferring it to my Kobo? Is it hard to get ebooks off Ubuntu and on to a Kobo. I have finished all my books on there and I really want to get some more but I'm finding this all a little hard to take in lol.

Any help would be so appreciated!
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well (as a fellow Ubuntu user) I can offer some words of wisdom.

In terms of adding books you have a few options (I don't own a Kobo so I might not list them all).

1) Use ADE (you are having problems with it and not wanting to pursue this method, so we'll scratch that one.
2) Plug the Kobo in and Ubuntu should mount the reader. From here all you will need to do is drag'n drop the DRM-free epub to the Kobo, unmount it and away you go.
3) Use Calibre. Calibre is essentially a piece of software that keeps a copy of your drm-free ebooks, converts them to various ebook formats, pulls down metadata and the like....and copy the ebooks to your Kobo.

I would start with option 2 to get a book on your Kobo to get you going and experiment with Calibre.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #3
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well (as a fellow Ubuntu user) I can offer some words of wisdom.

In terms of adding books you have a few options (I don't own a Kobo so I might not list them all).

1) Use ADE (you are having problems with it and not wanting to pursue this method, so we'll scratch that one.
2) Plug the Kobo in and Ubuntu should mount the reader. From here all you will need to do is drag'n drop the DRM-free epub to the Kobo, unmount it and away you go.
3) Use Calibre. Calibre is essentially a piece of software that keeps a copy of your drm-free ebooks, converts them to various ebook formats, pulls down metadata and the like....and copy the ebooks to your Kobo.

I would start with option 2 to get a book on your Kobo to get you going and experiment with Calibre.
Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm still interested in trying to get ADE to work. I was just a bit over it earlier today. So if you have any tip for ADE I would be more than happy to have them.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...h-wine-860048/

This might help with ADE not detecting your Kobo.

With installing ADE in Wine all I can do is post a few discussions.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=701191
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87518
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=15545

Check the last link I gave to winehq as there are some good tips submitted by people towards the bottom of the page. Unfortunately as I dont use Wine (I use crossover office, a butchered version of Wine) I can't be more specific in helping you get ADE install.

Alternatively if you do a quick search here in the Kobo forum you can find a link to the Kobo Desktop app for Linux, which has a download link for Ubuntu, so that will allow you to buy ebooks from Kobo and sync them with your reader.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
use crossover office, a butchered version of Wine
I actually downloaded that but for the life of me I can't figure it out.
Advert
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
MorganM
Fanatic

I followed your first link and my kobo showed up on ADE!

Now to get a book on to it!...

Last edited by MorganM; 02-24-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
MorganM
Fanatic

Well my Kobo is still showing up on ADE after a bit of fiddling BUT I dropped a ascm file on to ADE and it came up with:

"Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_CLIENT"
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard

I would try and re-download the file from where ever you bought the ebook from. If I am correct in my thinking those ascm/acsm files are generated when you download and have a limited number of hours before expiring. So log back in, download again and get a fresh file and see if that works for you.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
MorganM
Fanatic

I added the file straight away and got that msg.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What version of ADE is on the machine?

Have you taken the steps to "register" ADE ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
MorganM
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What version of ADE is on the machine?

Have you taken the steps to "register" ADE ?
Yes it's registered and it's 1.7.2 or something like that the latest one.