Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
tkirke
tkirke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
How to avoid page break after heading/chapter

Hi,
I have a EPUB book with lots of Items that I'd like in the table of contents but I don't want a page break before or after each items. How do I do that?
Thanks
tkirke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirke View Post
Hi,
I have a EPUB book with lots of Items that I'd like in the table of contents but I don't want a page break before or after each items. How do I do that?
Thanks
EPUB does not automatically have page breaks anywhere and certainly not related to table of contents. However, some tools may assume H1 and H2 headers want page breaks. Try H3 headers. What tool are you using to create the ePUB? You may want to ask the tool vendor.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 AM   #3
tkirke
tkirke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
EPUB does not automatically have page breaks anywhere and certainly not related to table of contents. However, some tools may assume H1 and H2 headers want page breaks. Try H3 headers. What tool are you using to create the ePUB? You may want to ask the tool vendor.

Dale
Thanks. I'll try H3. I'm using a home-made tool to create the ePUB. So if it's not inherent in Epub it's either the way the Table of contents is created or what Adobe Digital Editions/EPUBReader do with it. Perhaps it's the fact that each table of contents items is the has a link to a different xhtml file? I tried setting page-break-after and page-break-before to avoid in the css for body, but it didn't do anything.
tkirke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Perhaps it's the fact that each table of contents items is the has a link to a different xhtml file?
Yes, that will force a page-break as the reader loads the file. If you don't want page-breaks then the next chapter needs to be part of the same file, give it a fragment identifier (<h2 id="chapter x">) and you can still reference it from the ToC.

Since MobileADE require each file to be under 300k when uncompressed, you'll need to have separate files (with inevitable page breaks) at some point if your book is long.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Yes, that will force a page-break as the reader loads the file. If you don't want page-breaks then the next chapter needs to be part of the same file, give it a fragment identifier (<h2 id="chapter x">) and you can still reference it from the ToC.

Since MobileADE require each file to be under 300k when uncompressed, you'll need to have separate files (with inevitable page breaks) at some point if your book is long.
I believe only Sony readers still have the 300K limit, since they have not updated to the latest version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks
Check your CSS, you may have something like this:

h1 {page-break-before:always}
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe only Sony readers still have the 300K limit, since they have not updated to the latest version.
Are you sure the limitation is in the software? It could be hardware related.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, page-break;css