Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Arrow [Prop] M92 Important Usability aspect!

Allow me to be a bit selfish this one time and make a feature proposal, too, which sould even happen to coincide with the interests of the developers, for it will effectively make this two applications less to maintain.

There appear to be some features in the PDF-Reader ("Pdf Reader") that are lacking in the annotator "Scribble" and vice versa. In fact, some of them are important features, not just gimmicks, most notably
  • "Scribble" can add/remove pages, while "Pdf Reader" cannot. It should not be difficult to add the capability of adding pages to the PDF-Reader, even if it may not remove pages which "belong" to the original document, if that may pose a problem.
    At least that would allow you to write longer annotations right in the PDF where right now, it's very cumbersome to write full-scale texts and read a PDF at the same time (this will hopefully be alleviated by the new Multi-Task feature, which, however, will not even closely emulate the missing capabilty to add new pages for annotations right in the document).
  • The PDF-Reader allows to choose a specific toolbar, among which, an annotation toolbar. This toolbar allows you to quickly change between eraser and pencil - a crucial feature.
    Opposed to that look at "Scribble" where, in the worst case it can take up to three full sceen updates to change the tool (open menu, choose right submenu, activate tool and close menu).

In that regard, it would be beneficial for everyone if the native PDF-Reader would be given the ability to add/remove pages. It already has the customizable toolbar and does everything and more than scribble, so this would make it the perfect application.

2nd proposal,, kind of in the spirit of the 1st:

"Scribble" files do not integrate in the file manager. They cannot be organized in folders, they cannot be associated with PDFs, etc. It would be much preferable if they were handled together with the rest of the files in one central file manager. That naturally agrees with proposal one:

If the PDF-Reader was given the (only) missing capability of "Scribble", to add/remove pages, there would no longer be a distinction between "Scribble" files and annotated PDFs.

One file manager for everything. Again, the infrastructure is basically there with the existing "Internal Storage" File-manager.

I know new features make a great portfolio, and multi-tasking is not just a convenience. In fact, it's an enormous step forward.

But let me selfish again and say that we don't need a lot of the stuff that people possibly want and suggest arround here, we need fixing of EXISTING BUGS and stabilization of EXISTING FEATURES.

Only after that it makes sense to think about adding new features on top of a solid foundation.

I think most people who work with the M92 in a serious manner like me agree with that.

Last edited by ManDay; 04-17-2013 at 11:16 AM.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quite good idea. But I am not sure, if it is not quite lot of work. It is pdf reader not pdf editor.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
Quote:
It is pdf reader not pdf editor.
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Quite good idea. But I am not sure, if it is not quite lot of work. It is pdf reader not pdf editor.
I don't understand you. The PDF-Reader already does everything that the annotator does and more. Adding the "last tiny bit", namely the capability to add/remove pages doesn't make it any more of an editor than it currently is.

No one said that it's actually supposed to edit the PDF. It would be just part of the annotations like everything else.

(And just by the way: Removing and adding pages from/to a PDF is an absolutely trivial job and programmed in 30 seconds)
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
OK, but pdf reader does not modify pdf read it creates the new one with annotations added. I agree with you that to add an empty page to pdf should be e simple task. But I guess, that in that case also all references to annotations beyond the page inserted would have to be changed and maybe other things. Mind that annotations, scribles, bookmarks, ... are not stored in pdf file but in standalone sql databases.

I agree that your suggestion is a good idea.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote