Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Thiws87
Thiws87 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
How to disable Kindle's auto-sleep function??

I've just bought a kindle 3 and i'm enjoyint it very much. However in every 10 minutes it goes by itself to sleep mode. I didn't find an option to turn off or set a longer time for this feature.
It's very anoying when you want to study some complex pdf sheet once you need to stay about 30 minutes or more at the same page, as well as when you want to study a music sheet and you need every 10 minutes to unhand your violin to turn on the kindle again...
Because of that i'd greatly appreciate if there is any way to turn the auto-sleeping mode off.

Is there any way to do that?
Thx in advance.
Thiws87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
At the home screen, press Del Sym and then type the following and then press enter:
Code:
;debugOn
It will disappear. Again, press Del Sym and then type the following and then press enter:
Code:
~disableScreensaver
It shouldn't shut off any more automatically. To enable again, press Del Sym and then type the following and press enter:
Code:
~resumeScreensaver
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Thiws87

Omg, i can hardly believe it worked! The kindle is so much better now!
Thank you very very very sooooo much!

Just another question: will i get any problem to update my kindle when a new firmware be released? I've heard about some guy that modified his kindle's code and after that he couldn't update his kindle anymore... If i just turn on the screen saver before i get a new update will it be okay?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Thiws87
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Thiws87

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Thiws87
OH, i didn't even introduce myself hehe. Thanks for the good reception.
I'm glad i can quickly solve my problems here with your support. Indeed this is a very special community.
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
You may have to be careful with updating if you have installed some of the hacks in the developer's corner. If so, they should note it in the readme.

But for this you are not actually modifying anything on the Kindle, so it will update just fine. Any time you restart (such as after an update), you will have to enter the above commands again.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Thiws87

Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
You may have to be careful with updating if you have installed some of the hacks in the developer's corner. If so, they should note it in the readme.

But for this you are not actually modifying anything on the Kindle, so it will update just fine. Any time you restart (such as after an update), you will have to enter the above commands again.
For sure i won't install any hacks, i don't understand anything of programming and i'd better stay far away from those hacks hehe.

But just another thing: i've just noticed that now i can't put my kindle to the sleep mode even in a manual way (by sliding the power switch). For that i need to use the code "~resumeScreensaver" before. Is there any way to avoid that situation? I don't really care about having to enter the commands again only when the kindle be updated, since it will rarely happen. But actually i would like to avoid entering the commands every time when i want to manually put the kindle to sleep by just sliding the power switch.

Is there any code that blocks only the auto screensaver function whereas not the manual screensaver function? Or will i need to always use the commands to make kindle sleeps after i finish studying?

Thanks again for your assistance.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We'll probably be able to tweak the power saving timeouts, but that'll be done via a hack.

So, without a hack, no.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
BSalita
Software Developer
BSalita began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3
Does disabling the screen saver cause more battery drain?
BSalita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Zerodime
Enthusiast
Zerodime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
jup very much so.
(Can be from 100% -> 25% in 3 days with normal usage)
Zerodime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Thiws87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodime View Post
jup very much so.
(Can be from 100% -> 25% in 3 days with normal usage)
I can't see why it would happen, at least for my purpose wich is to study at least 30 min per page. Turning off the auto-screensaver is supposed to save battery once i won't need to restart the kindle 3 times in 30 minutes.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiws87 View Post
I can't see why it would happen, at least for my purpose wich is to study at least 30 min per page. Turning off the auto-screensaver is supposed to save battery once i won't need to restart the kindle 3 times in 30 minutes.
Turning off the screensaver also turns off the sleep mode, I'm guessing. Due to the unique properties of e-ink, there's no reason they should be tied together, but they are.

Maybe some hackery or a future update will change this. Or at least let us dictate when the screensaver kicks in.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
This is great, but I would also would love to just disabled the screensaver but still be able to sleep my Kindle without typing the command again.

But still, this is great than nothing....
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #14
mmbutter
mmbutter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
This is great, but I would also would love to just disabled the screensaver but still be able to sleep my Kindle without typing the command again.
You can still put the Kindle in sleep mode by holding the power slide to the right for 10 seconds. The screen will go completely blank and it will be in sleep mode. When you slide the power switch briefly to the right, it will come out of sleep mode again.
mmbutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disable sleep