Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
VolDr
VolDr began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
KV Fastboot mode problem

I accidentally turned on fastboot mode on my KV. NOw i have such text on my screen "DIAGS EXIT Plaease use serial port". I cant use screen sensor and reload bottom power dont have effect too. If I hold button the bottom power led starts flashing and the backlit flashes twice, its over. I tried to use this, but it have not actual driver for Windows. Did I brick Kindle permanently or is there a way fix the mess I did?

Last edited by VolDr; 02-21-2016 at 07:41 AM.
VolDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Just follow the directions -
use the serial port to exit (among other things).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
VolDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Just follow the directions -
use the serial port to exit (among other things).
Meh, I dont have serial port.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDr View Post
Meh, I dont have serial port.
Remove the battery NOW!
Don't put it back in until your ready to test your serial port addition.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Err, how did you end up there in the first place?

That simply looks like an unpatched diags mode exit, not exactly fastboot?

(You're probably still screwed without serial, but, still... ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

@NiLuJe - Yup, not in fastboot - not only is fastboot silent, it doesn't include a screen driver.

I have seen that prompt when in the secondary, (diags), kernel's "<something>"
IDRWATM
But whatever, the message does not lie, it is expecting interactive I/O on the serial port.
(Translation: Hook up the serial port)
Old 02-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
VolDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Err, how did you end up there in the first place?
Ehm, I created a blank file named ENABLE_DIAGS in the Kindle's USB drive's root, restart the Kindle, and then rebooted into diagnostics mode.

Then i went to Misc individual diagnostics (and something else) and activate EXIT FASTBOOT or shomething like that (its my bad yep).
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #8
VolDr

Pic related
Spoiler:
Old 02-20-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@VolDr: Then I assume you must have had a RescuePack installed at one point?

If so, when/where did it come from?

Because with a sane RescuePack, you *will* see that message, but the device will reboot properly to main.

What happens if you try to hard reboot the device? How does the device present itself over USB (ideally to a Linux box, in order to have meaningless information)?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
VolDr

Quote:
@VolDr: Then I assume you must have had a RescuePack installed at one point?
No I didnt installed a RescuePack.

Quote:
What happens if you try to hard reboot the device?
If I hold button pressed 40 sec the bottom power led starts flashing orange on about 10 seconds then, at about 15 seconds, the backlit flashes twice.

If I hold button pressed 15 sec lsusb on Linux gives this: Bus 001 Device 012: ID 1949:d0e0 Lab126, Inc.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ehm, I created a blank file named ENABLE_DIAGS in the Kindle's USB drive's root, restart the Kindle, and then rebooted into diagnostics mode.

Then i went to Misc individual diagnostics (and something else) and activate EXIT FASTBOOT or shomething like that (its my bad yep).
What firmware version was this on the KV that recognized ENABLE_DIAGS ?
This would have been a (perhaps accidental) design change.
Lab126 had disable recognition of ENABLE_DIAGS some time ago.

- - - -

So you found a logic error in that version's 'diags' system -
Enter: 'Exit Fastboot' when not in Fastboot and the device dies.

Send it back to Amazon in exchange for a new one.
The troubles are their error (the device should not die regardless of what filename you put in user storage).
Old 02-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
VolDr

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
What firmware version was this on the KV that recognized ENABLE_DIAGS
5.6.5 with jail
Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
5.6.5 with jail
Now that is really interesting.

I wonder if 5.7.x also recognizes ENABLE_DIAGS ?

Note to casual reader:
Don't try that unless you have a serial port connection installed -
Just because you can get into 'diags' does not mean you can get out.
(My K3 is that way.)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

And the PW3 diags dump I got my hands on was the same, too, so assume that applies to the whole Wario range of devices (PW2/KV/KT2/PW3).

So, yeah, don't try this at home, kids .