Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
@knc1 I meant pdf reflow and yes I will use it for only text not for those with pictures but duokan does a great job. I hope I can find a solution for mplayer. Any idea why it stops launcher from opening when you tap shuffle. how can I select individual songs to play?
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
do you have a "strace" built for your device?

if so

ssh in. try running mplayer from ssh shell like the following:

First see what options it presents from the command line like err?

mplayer --help (or something, that usually does it.)

then try mplayer mytune.mp3
(where it is a valid tune like /mnt/us/music/punk.mp3)

usually that gives you a large splurge of info on the command line while it does stuff (also -v or -vv are popular options - in many applications - to get extra info you can try them too, I don't run mplayer but the stuff I'm talking about is just generic "poke around and find stuff" stuff)

next step? look into the launch script for mplayer
(I'm assuming you have some sort of shortcut)

Then try running something similar from the command line

look again at slurge, if you are fortunate it will start "as usual" and then when you try to do your "Thing that makes it die" you will get some answers on the command line

last resort try switching the mplayer in the script to something like

(prefix stuff from script) /path/to/my/strace -o /mnt/us/logIcanread mplayer (other suffixed stuff from script)

then run it. make it die. read the log.

it's tough to do remote debugging "with just your mind" although Niluje, Knc1, Hawhill and Gm (and others) ALL appear capable of psychic debugging

The real reason for that is they spent time understanding the underlying structures of their respective apps/hardward/drivers (or whatever they are working on)

I hope that is decentish advice - if not - I hope someone will improve on it.

Really can't tell you why an app I don't run doesn't work on a device I don't own, BUT with a bit of digging maybe You can tell Us!

best of luck

Last edited by twobob; 09-23-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: made it more obvious
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #18
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Now some of the k3 apps have been poted to the kindle touch like an interactive fiction reader and a notepad. Now a decent pdf reader would be great but I can always use duokan, would have been awesome if mplayer had a gui as I am having problems with the launcher one. Whenever I put play all songs launcher wouldn't open at all and I also don't know how to select the song I want to play.
m'okay, one more thought. All the apps you cite are very "end user"

They require either a complicated set of supporting libraries / front-end graphics / launchers to "Do Stuff" - or so it would seem...

Look under the surface, understand what some of the apps in the "I did this in 30 mins with buildroot" list... I provided above do first. and how.

i.e. the "Not End User" stuff.

In this way you will gain an understanding of the GUTS of the processes.

strace some stuff. run stuff from the command line. dig deeper.

All the "I click one button and awesome stuff happens" apps are at the END of the convert from 3 to 5 list, not the front, for obvious reasons.
(I have outlined before, I think, in this thread)

"PDF reflowing a non PDF reflow document" wouldn't be a great place to start. (IMHO)

I would suggest a) grab a 3 app b) look at the port (if you can find one) c) note what has changed. for yourself.

once you can speak authoritatively about WHAT, you think a specific problem might be for porting a certain app people will likely help

Saying "Why doesn't this work" without seemingly any personal research is not (very often) likely to get helpful responses.

: )

Hope that was nice and friendly, it was meant to be.

Last edited by twobob; 09-23-2012 at 07:12 AM. Reason: it was not clear enough
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote