Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
Huisie
Enthusiast
Huisie doesn't litterHuisie doesn't litter

Device: none
Set Calibre e-book viewer as default

Hi, there

Been trying to solve a niggle without success. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Until I updated to Calibre 0.7.47 (from 0.7.42), I was able to set Calibre's e-book viewer as my default viewer for epub.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with SP1.

Now, when I use the "Open With..." dialog and select e-book viewer in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\", it doesn't work.
I can browse to the ebook-viewer.exe and click on it, but it doesn't appear in the "Open With..." window.

I have edited the "FileOpenWith" setting in the registry, to no avail.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Huisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huisie View Post
Hi, there

Been trying to solve a niggle without success. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

Until I updated to Calibre 0.7.47 (from 0.7.42), I was able to set Calibre's e-book viewer as my default viewer for epub.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 with SP1.

Now, when I use the "Open With..." dialog and select e-book viewer in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\", it doesn't work.
I can browse to the ebook-viewer.exe and click on it, but it doesn't appear in the "Open With..." window.

I have edited the "FileOpenWith" setting in the registry, to no avail.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?
Welcome to MR

Someone that is familiar with W7 quirks will be along shortly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I suspect something happened in the SP1 update?

If you double-click the .epub file, and then when the Open With dialog comes up you browse to the Calibre-e-pub reader and tell Windows to always use that for epub files things should get themselves set as you want.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #4
Huisie
Enthusiast

Thank you for the welcome - it's good to be here.

Thanks also for the replies, but I have already done as itimpi suggested.

I chose the "Open With..." dialog from the context menu, which opens the "Open With" window.
I then clicked the browse button, which opens an "Open With..." explorer window.
I browsed to "ebook-viewer.exe" in the "Calibre2" folder in "C:\Program Files(x86)".
I selected "ebook-viewer.exe", which closes the explorer window and takes me back to the "Open With" window.
"E-book viewer.exe" did not appear in the "Open With" window.

I have tried modifying the registry entry, to no avail:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.epub\OpenWithList

As an experiment, I tried selecting some of the other ".exe's" in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2" folder, which did appear in the "Open With" window.

I right-clicked in "ebook-viewer.exe" and selected "Run as Administrator" - no joy.
I tried running it in various compatibility modes - again, no joy.
I have tried reinstalling Calibre - you guessed it, no joy.

Thanks for the help offered - I hope someone can steer me in the right direction.
If not, I'll restore a system backup over the weekend and try again, see if I can isolate the issue.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Look at the permissions on calibre-viewer. Execute rights to all users?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
Huisie
Enthusiast

Hi, ducks

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that, too.

I'm going to reinstall from system backup over the weekend, get back to baseline, so to speak.
I'll try it out then and see; if still a problem, I'll raise a bug report.

Thanks for the help volunteered, all.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Can you open ePubs in the ebook viewer in the first place by starting the ebook viewer and opening the book?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This setup is to open up epubs when calibre isn't running, correct?

When you did this last install, did you install in the default location or did you install to a USB or external drive?

Quote:
I'm going to reinstall from system backup over the weekend, get back to baseline, so to speak.
It's a good idea after messing in the registry to get back to a baseline.

Quote:
I'll try it out then and see; if still a problem, I'll raise a bug report.
Have you asked this question in appropriate Microsoft forums? You'll have to let us know if MS is responsive to this bug.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
Huisie
Enthusiast

Hi, folks

I did reply this morning (my time), but my reply ain't here. Dunno what happened to it...

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I had another crack at it and solved my issue.
I'm not sure as to the root cause, though.

To recap:
  • I had 0.7.42 installed
  • I had set ebook-viewer.exe as my default external viewer for several formats
  • I uninstalled 0.7.42 and then installed 07.47, rather than updating
  • I ran into the problem of not being able to select ebook-viewer as external default anymore
  • I tried several methods to rectify this, including uninstalling and reinstalling, as mentioned

Solved:
  • I uninstalled Calibre and rebooted
  • I deleted all Calibre folders from Program Files and User Profile
  • I ran a registry cleaner (Wise Registry Cleaner)
  • Amongst the entries listed as "safe to remove" were several referring to "ebook-viewer.exe"
  • I removed these and rebooted, then installed Calibre once more
  • Success! I could set "ebook-viewer.exe" as the default external viewer again

Issue:
Not being a PC professional or MSVP, I can only hazard a guess.
  • It appears that setting "ebook-viewer.exe" as the default viewer creates a "sticky" reference in the registry.
  • Prior to deleting the "safe to remove" registry entries listed in the registry cleaner, I went and checked books that were in the formats I had set "ebook-viewer.exe" as default viewer for.
  • Though "ebook-viewer.exe" had been uninstalled and I had rebooted, the icons hadn't reverted to default - they were still showing the icon from when "ebook-viewer.exe" was installed.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
  • It appears that setting "ebook-viewer.exe" as the default viewer creates a "sticky" reference in the registry.
You added the entries to open ebooks with the ebook viewer manually, so of course they would stick when you uninstall Calibre. The uninstaller doesn't even know about the relevant entries.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
Huisie
Enthusiast

You assume I didn't reset the registry before uninstalling...
Old 03-11-2011, 03:41 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
You assume I didn't reset the registry before uninstalling...
Yes, because in my eyes, that is consistent with the behaviour you're describing.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Huisie
Enthusiast

Not to worry, I got it sorted...

Thanks for all the help offered, everyone.