Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
new mobile reader!

hi all! i just ordered a reader last night through the sony card promo and im really excited! i cant wait to get started!

is there anything i should know before i dive in? should i register my reader to get the download credit? id like to get a memory card, but there arent many specs about the reader on their site, so i dont know whats supported. is a 2gb sd card ok? im guessing the speed of the card doesnt really matter that much.

well im off to dive into the site and download some classics i never got around to reading! thanks in advance!

james
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Welcome to MobileRead James. I'm sure you'll love your new reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I'd recommend against the 2GB card unless a) you enjoy paging through 100+ screens to find the title you're looking for, b) plan on carrying several very large PDF books, or c) plan on carrying a lot of music/pictures with you. I started with a 512MB card and put maybe 35 titles on it, plus several others on the internal memory; this made it a little difficult to find what I wanted, esp. if they aren't native LRF format and have meta-tags. I am now to the point where I don't really use the SD card for books unless I don't want to have to sync the Reader w/ my PC.

Other than that, while you're waiting you might want to fiddle around with some of the conversion software you can find in the forums, as I'm sure you'll be looking for them in the future and you can start playing now.

Have fun!

Edit: Here's a link to a thread about collections and external memory cards. While it doesn't specify how big the card is, it will help clarify what I was refering to about too many books on a card. I kinda like yvan's idea with multiple cards, but I'm not that OCD.

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-13-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Ahh, thought I'd add a link to a relevant thread
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Don't forget to hit the download section here on MobileRead too! Oh, and welcome BTW
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Welcome to MobileRead James. I'm sure you'll love your new reader.
thank you! i cant wait to get it. it still hasnt shipped yet. im betting theyre having supply issues because of the promo. all i have is the cover with no reader taunting me.

Last edited by jamesdmanley; 09-14-2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #6
jamesdmanley
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
I'd recommend against the 2GB card unless a) you enjoy paging through 100+ screens to find the title you're looking for, b) plan on carrying several very large PDF books, or c) plan on carrying a lot of music/pictures with you. I started with a 512MB card and put maybe 35 titles on it, plus several others on the internal memory; this made it a little difficult to find what I wanted, esp. if they aren't native LRF format and have meta-tags. I am now to the point where I don't really use the SD card for books unless I don't want to have to sync the Reader w/ my PC.

Other than that, while you're waiting you might want to fiddle around with some of the conversion software you can find in the forums, as I'm sure you'll be looking for them in the future and you can start playing now.

Have fun!

Edit: Here's a link to a thread about collections and external memory cards. While it doesn't specify how big the card is, it will help clarify what I was refering to about too many books on a card. I kinda like yvan's idea with multiple cards, but I'm not that OCD.
i was reading about the file system inadequacies here. i do have quite a few pdf's id like to bring along with me, but maybe ill wait till i get the reader and see how it fills up before i decide on a card. thanks for the link ill check it out!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
jamesdmanley
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Don't forget to hit the download section here on MobileRead too! Oh, and welcome BTW
thank you! ive been browsing the download section practically salivating. ill be able to delete a big stack of books from my amazon list! i cant wait =)