Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
crankymom
crankymom began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
No more out of state access for NYPL online

Just wanted to share that I tried to obtain a New York Public Libary card the other day since someone here in teh forums mentioned that for a fee of $100 that out of state people could obtain one if an application was mailed in with $100 check.

So, I printed an application and called to ask where to send the check, and was told that this option is no longer available. You have to either live, go to school, or work in New York City to get a card.

Boo Hoo!
crankymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Actually it is more than NYC. Any New York state resident can get a card. I just got a card. I live 3 hrs upstate.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Look at the thread on the Sony Reader Daily Edition. Sony is partnering with NYPL (possibly more libraries?) and making those books available on Sony Readers. There is speculation that this is why out-of-state cards are no longer available.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenstr View Post
Look at the thread on the Sony Reader Daily Edition. Sony is partnering with NYPL (possibly more libraries?) and making those books available on Sony Readers. There is speculation that this is why out-of-state cards are no longer available.
Yeah, the current queues for popular ebooks are already very long for NYPL. I would expect that to be exploded once the daily edition launched.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

I really don't think the NYPL is going to allow everyone to download to the SOny. The announcement said they will link to overdrive libraries and you have to already have a library account.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
I really don't think the NYPL is going to allow everyone to download to the SOny. The announcement said they will link to overdrive libraries and you have to already have a library account.
This will work out great for me since I have access to both NYPL & Brooklyn library.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
lisreed
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
This will work out great for me since I have access to both NYPL & Brooklyn library.
Yeah the Brooklyn Library also allows anyone in NY state to have a card. I'm going to have to get a card from them as well.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The new Sony library software still requires that you have a valid library card for the library you are downloading from. The beginning of the first article most people saw was a bit misleading, but it did mention "local libraries". There is another link to the Overdrive web site that I saw, I believe on enGadget, that did clarify the situation.

You've been able to use the Sony with libraries for some time, I believe. It is just that they now have some extra software that helps you find books, as nearly as I can tell.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'd love to be able to ditch Adobe Digital Editions and use the Sony software for "checked out" books.

BTW on the other thread about NYPL no longer allowing out of state cards, people said other libraries that used to offer out of state cards are following suit.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote