Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
New Sony PRST1 reader with ANDROID?

An ereader PODCAST noted that an inside Sony source stated that the new ereaders will have the ANDROID operating system. Other juicy pieces of info were also given.

Link to BLOG
http://goodereader.com/blog/e-reader-radio/

Sony news after 20 min into the podcast...

Direct link to podcast:
http://goodereader.com/blog/audio/go...aug-3-2011.mp3

Hope it's true!
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Has that rumor popped up anywhere else? If not then they are very likely lying about the inside source. Sony simply doesn't leak info in that manner. And besides, that pirate site doesn't have good contacts with hardware companies.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
I have seen some stuff on Sony tablets also, I think it is likely that people are adding 2 + 2 and coming up with 8.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
I have seen some stuff on Sony tablets also, I think it is likely that people are adding 2 + 2 and coming up with 8.
LOL That's a good one.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Why would the PRS-T1 need Android? How would Android work on a monochrome electronic ink display? How would it tap into app stores?

It's more probable that the OS/firmware of the current Sony Readers will be tweaked, rather than wholly replaced. The current firmware is stable. It's the software for loading books onto their devices that Sony (as always) needs to improve upon!
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
I don't see why Nate slams that blog every chance he gets. I read both nates and the goodereader blog daily and find both are good sources of industry news. I lean towards goodereader because they have more authors writing for them, do audio and video almost daily and are less biased. No offense.

ON another note, it seems many e-ink based e-readers are running android and it allows for more flexibility and long term development for app support then a closed SDK for Linux like most e-readers use.

Last edited by juxtapose; 08-05-2011 at 09:01 PM.
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
The guy on the audio made me want to stab my brain with a fork. He has a lot of information, but has no charisma to pass it along. 23 minutes later he starts talking about the PRS-T1. I don't know that we can trust all his information sources. I guess we will find out when the T-1 comes to market.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #8
Arrghus
Zealot
Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Arrghus , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle PW2; Nexus 5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose View Post
I don't see why Nate slams that blog every chance he gets. I read both nates and the goodereader blog daily and find both are good sources of industry news. I lean towards goodereader because they have more authors writing for them, do audio and video almost daily and are less biased. No offense.

ON another note, it seems many e-ink based e-readers are running android and it allows for more flexibility and long term development for app support then a closed SDK for Linux like most e-readers use.
^ Funny. That's not quite how you phrased your post not too long ago. Glad to see you've edited out your inflammatory attack on Nate.
Arrghus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Interesting comment, care to share some of the many android absed e-ink readers as I've not come across much more than (i believe it's android based) the Nook...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #10
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
The Entourage Edge and Pocket Edge is Android, same with the Spring Design Alex.
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM   #11
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Interesting comment, care to share some of the many android absed e-ink readers as I've not come across much more than (i believe it's android based) the Nook...
Yes, Nook is Android based, and as juxtapose mentioned, both enTourage models ran on Android (originally shipped with Android 1.6). In addition, Gigabit and ASUS use Android in their e-Ink readers, and a handful of OEMs have demoed Android on e-Ink devices at trade shows. Amazon is rumored to have ordered touch-screen Triton e-Ink Android devices from Quanta (Google "Quanta Amazon e-ink" for reports). It's worth noting that Sony is partnered with Quanta for the S1/S2 Android tablets.

Nearly all current e-Ink e-book readers (including Sony, Kindle, and Kobo) run on Linux with a lot of customization and tweakage. Android, which is based on Linux, is "pre-tweaked" for nearly every issue specific to low-power consumption, battery-operated, flash memory based, connected, portable devices. With built-in features like push messaging, structured data storage, WebKit browsing, media support, multiple connectivity options, multi-select, multi-touch, plus excellent power and memory management (I'll stop here, but the list goes on and on.), Android's specialized kernel makes it an attractive choice for touch-screen e-book readers.

We should be careful not to confuse Android, the operating system, with the Android app-enabled device experience. Whichever OS Sony chooses for the next generation of PRS-readers, it's unlikely to be apparent to the user. After all, my current Sony readers do nothing to alert me to the fact that they're running Linux and until I rooted it, my Nook Touch didn't do anything to evoke thoughts of Android.

Last edited by trekchick; 08-06-2011 at 04:56 AM.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
You don't know the whole history. I have an issue with them because:
  • I caught them committing piracy,
  • I caught them a second time after they swore they stopped the piracy,
  • they have posted paid reviews/adverts in various places that attack me while praising them,
  • they sent a letter to my webhost that accused me of libel,
  • I suspect them of sock-puppetting a defense of their piracy in the comments of my blog,
  • and because trolls from their site came around to eBookNewser and harassed me on the job.

EDIT: How can take the word of someone who has been caught lying? That would make them demonstrably untrustworthy, and that goes double for bloggers.

Last edited by Nate the great; 08-06-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Glad to see you've edited out your inflammatory attack on Nate.
Glad to see you recognize the difference between reflection and dishonesty, which is an important distinction. Imagine how much better the world might be if we could go back in time to rethink our least fair accusations.

Then again, old school SF used time travel to illustrate the ironies of self-revision. The point seems to be about determinism, but perhaps it's really about the inevitability of regret.

§§§§§§§§§§

Sony seems to be using Android on its tablets and other products it's developing. Why would its line of readers necessarily be an exception?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Glad to see you recognize the difference between reflection and dishonesty, which is an important distinction. Imagine how much better the world might be if we could go back in time to rethink our least fair accusations.

Then again, old school SF used time travel to illustrate the ironies of self-revision. The point seems to be about determinism, but perhaps it's really about the inevitability of regret.

§§§§§§§§§§

Sony seems to be using Android on its tablets and other products it's developing. Why would its line of readers necessarily be an exception?
They're also using Windows on their PCs, so why not use it on the new Sony Reader? You can't beat the features or format support.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrghus View Post
Why would the PRS-T1 need Android? How would Android work on a monochrome electronic ink display? How would it tap into app stores?

It's more probable that the OS/firmware of the current Sony Readers will be tweaked, rather than wholly replaced. The current firmware is stable. It's the software for loading books onto their devices that Sony (as always) needs to improve upon!
B&N's nook has always been Android based. So yes, it can be done and has been done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote