Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Kobo, Adobe Digital Editions and Wine

Hi,

for those who need to use ADE to read a book on the Kobo and are using Linux, I think I've found a way.
I installed ADE in Wine on my Linux box. Ubuntu even lets me double-click on an ACSM file and open ADE that will then import it in my library.

Problem is ADE on Wine does not recognize the Kobo so I was not able to drag the authorized books on the Kobo.

It turns out the solution is quite straightforward!
I simply went in the "My Digital Editions" folder (it should be in your home directory) and dragged the authorized files (ePub in my case) to the Kobo "Digital Editions" folder!
And I am able to read the book now.

One issue is that I have a book that in the "My Digital Editions" folder is split in 3 epubs and the Kobo shows them as 3 books.. oh well

UPDATE: actually it's the same book I simply downloaded it three times by mistake

Last edited by anidel; 07-14-2010 at 05:29 PM.
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
OK. That's not what I expected this thread to be about.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Yep I thought it was going to be something different too!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:17 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
With enough wine, my "kobo" will authorize just about anything into my Linux box.

I apologize.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Hi,

for those who need to use ADE to read a book on the Kobo and are using Linux, I think I've found a way.
I installed ADE in Wine on my Linux box. Ubuntu even lets me double-click on an ACSM file and open ADE that will then import it in my library.

I simply went in the "My Digital Editions" folder (it should be in your home directory) and dragged the authorized files (ePub in my case) to the Kobo "Digital Editions" folder!
And I am able to read the book now.
Linux by default dislikes this very thing. Connect, mount, copy, unmount,
disconnect.
Out of curiosity, what makes desktop apps so important? Cannot believe
the book is better. Or having additional pages for reader clicking on it's
buttons.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 02:27 AM   #6
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Linux by default dislikes this very thing. Connect, mount, copy, unmount, disconnect.
Wholey Krap!

Shouldn't the mods place an NC-17 disclaimer on this thread?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:31 AM   #7
anidel
Zealot
anidel doesn't litteranidel doesn't litter

Device: Kobo,Nokia N900
Yeah I wish this post was about wine

@zoran: my point is that there are people who buy books from other book strores (like Waterstones in the Uk in my case).
Those books need to go through Adobe Digital Editions before you'd be able to read them on the Kobo.
A small percentage of those people use Linux. ADE works under the Wine Emulator, but it won't recognize the Kobo.
This meant that people like me weren't able to read their ebook on the Kobo just because we choose to run Linux.
I found out that the once you load the ebook in ADE it's authorized already and can be simply copied on the Kobo.
This is very important for me, and others like me.

Moreover, I think Linux, by default, DOES love connect, mount, copy, umounting, disconnect.. what's wrong with that?
I WISH all devices would work as mass storage and no proprietary software should be between me and my device.

Aniello
anidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Wholey Krap!

Shouldn't the mods place an NC-17 disclaimer on this thread?
NC-17

This thread is dangerous for your health and you read it
at your own risk.
Having wine and other shortcuts together might harm the
way you envision the future, present and the past.
If not mods available, would punks be fine?
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 AM   #9
zoran
himself

Quote:
Yeah I wish this post was about wine

@zoran: my point is that there are people who buy books from other book strores (like Waterstones in the Uk in my case).
Those books need to go through Adobe Digital Editions before you'd be able to read them on the Kobo.
A small percentage of those people use Linux. ADE works under the Wine Emulator, but it won't recognize the Kobo.
This meant that people like me weren't able to read their ebook on the Kobo just because we choose to run Linux.
I found out that the once you load the ebook in ADE it's authorized already and can be simply copied on the Kobo.
This is very important for me, and others like me.

Moreover, I think Linux, by default, DOES love connect, mount, copy, umounting, disconnect.. what's wrong with that?
I WISH all devices would work as mass storage and no proprietary software should be between me and my device.

Aniello
K, seriously now.
Didn't know how it worked for you. Looked like pretty
tedious, just to read one book.
The point could be in the way wine takes one application
and has to use i/o. One level is the task it has to fulfill.
Another one is "connect to device living on usb adapter,
see what it is, mount/whatever it..." A way complicated
than simple app loading. Maybe another wine instance for
that job only?
I'd like to repeat that linux likes connect, mount etc.
Exactly what you said right now.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
K, seriously now.

I'd like to repeat that linux likes connect, mount etc.
Exactly what you said right now.
<settling back... watching the oft told movie unfold>

Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
dafrizz
Ultimate Player
dafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enoughdafrizz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kobo Touch
Quote:
A small percentage of those people use Linux. ADE works under the Wine Emulator, but it won't recognize the Kobo[...]
You could also strip the DRM from those books you bought elsewhere (illegal, I know, but morally ok in my opinion. You paid for the book!) and then transfer them via Calibre. Works a treat and it will save you future hassles since you know have "do whatever you want" copy of that book.
dafrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
panzer
panzer began at the beginning.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04. I just bought my first ebook from the web today. I use Kobo as ereader.
Ok, when I bought my ebook, I had a URLLink.acsm file I saved it. I have installed ADE under wine and I can see my ebook with ADE. But how can I save it into my Kobo reader? I went to my ~/My Digital Editions directory and save the xxx.epub file into my Kobo, but it says it can't open it.
Can you give me the steps how to solve this?
Thanks!
panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
I don't own a Kobo, but for my reader I found I needed to plug the reader to my laptop, THEN run Adobe Digital Editions. If I ran Adobe Digital Editions then plugged in the reader it was not detected.

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 (running ADE through Crossover Wine though it should in theory be the same as the offical wine package).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #14
panzer
panzer began at the beginning.

I finally found it easier to remove the DRM with the two scripts and then use Calibre to install *.epub files in my Kobo.

Last edited by panzer; 08-01-2010 at 05:57 PM.
panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #15
anagel
anagel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST-1, PRST-2, PRST-3, Nook, Samsung Galaxy tab, Kobo first gen
how did you remove the DRM Panzer? Can you give me the steps. I am having problems converting some of my epub files purchased from kobobooks and would like to try this. Any help would be appreciated. Step by step would be nice....please...???
anagel is offline   Reply With Quote