Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
Manga/Comics on Nook

I sort of asked about this at the bottom of an ages-old thread but since the thread concerned the Kindle plus a project on iPad (I have nor wish for either). Both comics and manga seem to come in one of who formats (PDF or .CBR/.CBZ and of the two, PDF stinks on ice). Has anyone else tried this on Nook yet with any success? If so, car to pass on any tips? Any scap of info would be helpful. I have purchased lots of DVDs of this material and while it *can* read OK on say a netbook, trying to read a PDF of such material on an ereader is a prescription for pain.

There has to be a way. I am getting back into Android development after being off of a year or two but I think this may be a good "first project"...
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
I have a few manga on my nook. I didn't do any of the formatting, so unfortunately I can't help you out with that. Honestly though, if you figure out how to do it and you realize it takes forever, I say skip it. The images look okay, but it's nothing to write home about.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
I have a few manga on my nook. I didn't do any of the formatting, so unfortunately I can't help you out with that. Honestly though, if you figure out how to do it and you realize it takes forever, I say skip it. The images look okay, but it's nothing to write home about.
Well, since the current batch of E-ink tech means no color, it will be flakey at best. However on a netbook or laptop (any OS) PDF is the worst, no argument there. However I like the way CBR/CBZ (only difference is the compression method) deals with manga or at least they provide a "manga" mode. Now combine that with the current or soon-to-be crop of Android tablets and since those tools are all open source we can peek at the best ideas for storage and presentation.

Now never one to reinvent the wheel but if nothing exists *yet* and I just got my first Android device (well, second if you count the Nook) and have done Android coding before, why not make something that I/we can use? However it had to start with the basic question of: is there something out there and no, PDF readers need not apply; it might as well be in Braille.

BTW, what is the extension of your manga? I am going to try some on both of my devices tonight to see how bad things really are..

Last edited by jeffcobb; 09-15-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Forgot a question
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

They're PDF and ePub -- the ePub ones are converted from lit, I believe.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
jeffcobb
Groupie

And is the ePub better or worse than PDF (or about the same)? I tried a PDF of Battle Angel Alita last night and it was awful...I am more determined than ever to make a sane reader for this kind of content...
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
ellimak
I spit hot fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcobb View Post
And is the ePub better or worse than PDF (or about the same)? I tried a PDF of Battle Angel Alita last night and it was awful...I am more determined than ever to make a sane reader for this kind of content...
The ePub was maybe a little but worse. I have a pdf of Claymore and also an ePub. The text on the pdf seemed a little easier to read.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
jeffcobb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
The ePub was maybe a little but worse. I have a pdf of Claymore and also an ePub. The text on the pdf seemed a little easier to read.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I have (at least for print books, not graphic novels, etc) had far better luck with epub than PDFs; this probably has more to do with the fact that PDFs that are more text-based can be tweaked from a font perspective whereas some that are literally just jpg scans you can resize the whole page but thats it. So to make the page fit the screen you need a freaking jewels loupe to read them:
http://jewelry.about.com/od/jewelrya...l/ss/loupe.htm