Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
reader/mediaplayer/browser which one?

Hi
I have already asked about this a few months ago but know there are probably more things out there now. I am looking for a device which will work as a reader for many different formats, that I can browse internet on wireless and 3g, watch tv or movies on. I have seen the IPAD and it is ideal size and weight but doees not have a usb port so transferring the humdreds of books I currently have would be a pain. Suggestions have been the Smart Q7, JWin 7 and a few others. I do not want to spend more than 250 euro.
Thanks
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
Hi
I have already asked about this a few months ago but know there are probably more things out there now. I am looking for a device which will work as a reader for many different formats, that I can browse internet on wireless and 3g, watch tv or movies on. I have seen the IPAD and it is ideal size and weight but doees not have a usb port so transferring the humdreds of books I currently have would be a pain. Suggestions have been the Smart Q7, JWin 7 and a few others. I do not want to spend more than 250 euro.
Thanks
The iPad has a custom connector, but comes with a lead that converts that to a USB plug to connect to your computer. You can transfer ePub and PDF files through USB to the iBooks app on the iPad using iTunes and this lead.
You can transfer other formats to a variety of other reading apps.
(That doesn't help with the price though )
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
slainte
Zealot
slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slainte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah the price puts me off as well. Also i think i would prefer a smaller screen of 7" as the 9" is quite big for carrying around.
slainte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by slainte View Post
I am looking for a device which will work as a reader for many different formats, that I can browse internet on wireless and 3g, watch tv or movies on.
You may have to wait till Q1 of next year when Android 3.0 is suppose to be ready for tablet pc's. I'm looking for a textbook alternative myself since I'll be returning to school next semester. Text book publishers are working w/ Apple but I hope they're planning on working with other tablets as well.

BTW, I saw your name and somehow, without my knowledge, my body stood up, went to the fridge and now it's sipping on a Guinness. I can't figure out why???
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
I own a couple of the alternatives to the ipad (Android and/or WinCE). From my own experience and from reading the posts from others, it looks like at this point in time the ipad offers the best overall experience with a slate device. The other devices, including the two you mention, offer a combination of less than stellar hardware with OS's which aren't really delivering what they probably will by next year.

If I were in your shoes I would either bite the bullet and purchase an ipad or wait and see what next year's offerings bring our way with other platforms.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert