Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
The other reason I'm leaning this way is that, in my mind, calling it from a link on the SD card is only a first step. The goal I have in mind is to have the power switch configurable between the long press either doing a restart or a shutdown.
There are pros en cons for both solutions, but either of them can work fine.

A "long press" triggering a restart is hard-wired so it always works, even if the firmware and/or standby micro have failed. Downside is that it can't be replaced with a shutdown.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #17
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
A "long press" triggering a restart is hard-wired so it always works, even if the firmware and/or standby micro have failed. Downside is that it can't be replaced with a shutdown.
I didn't know that, thanks. It makes sense though.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #18
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
@ Shaggy and GregorRichards

You guys seemed to be making progress on this but news has dried up. Anything new?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #19
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
@ Shaggy and GregorRichards

You guys seemed to be making progress on this but news has dried up. Anything new?
I haven't gone any further with it. GregorRichards solution works, but it requires navigating to and clicking on an icon. I was hoping to tie it to a button, but am not sure if that's realistic. As Gertjan says, the long power switch press is hardwired. I was thinking of maybe looking at swapping out the right press from locking buttons (which I never do anyway) to a shutdown. I haven't had the time to look into it to see if that's possible or not though.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
GregorRichards' program does not work in my DR800S wth 2.0 RC2.
After executing it, the ebook does not shutdown. It remains on, but in the screen I can only see the Title of the page (SD Card - by Title... in fact in Spanish). The list of folders/books is not visible. The only way to make it working again is reseting it by
sliding the power switch to the left and holding it for some seconds.
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by javifields View Post
GregorRichards' program does not work in my DR800S wth 2.0 RC2.
After executing it, the ebook does not shutdown. It remains on, but in the screen I can only see the Title of the page (SD Card - by Title... in fact in Spanish). The list of folders/books is not visible. The only way to make it working again is reseting it by
sliding the power switch to the left and holding it for some seconds.
Might be something changed with the beta/RC that effected his program. I think it was originally written on the 1.0 firmware.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #22
javifields
Enthusiast
javifields began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800S
Thank you Shaggy.
If someone develops a shutdown procedure for DR800S with 2.0 RC2 I will be very grateful!
javifields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 AM   #23
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
After shut down, I lost the bookmarks and also the pages I need continue ... ;-(
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opensesame View Post
After shut down, I lost the bookmarks and also the pages I need continue ... ;-(
Yeah, they said elsewhere that bookmarks/etc are only saved at certain times. If you do a hard reset, it's possible to loose recent ones. I imagine a shutdown, if not coded correctly, could cause the same problem.

Which shutdown method did you try?
Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #25
Opensesame
Opensesame began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Yeah, they said elsewhere that bookmarks/etc are only saved at certain times. If you do a hard reset, it's possible to loose recent ones. I imagine a shutdown, if not coded correctly, could cause the same problem.

Which shutdown method did you try?
I used yours.
Opensesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #26
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opensesame View Post
I used yours.
Yeah, mine was a quick hack and will definitely cause problems like that. The one that GregorRichards posted is much cleaner in that it gets the applications to save/close before shutting down (mine doesn't).

Ultimately I'd like to keep working on this and make it nicer, but haven't had the time.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #27
gioachin
gioachin began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
One comment on the battery consumption. I used the program irexshutdown with 2.0-beta firmware. I compiled the code with the SDK and installed it (Note that I added the flag -P to the shutdown system call). By using it, the irex fully shuts down in about 15-20 seconds. Later when I slided the button it did the whole long booting process.
That said, I left it off for about two days and the battery went down from 48% to 35%. So I'm not sure if it actually powers down the device.
gioachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 AM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioachin View Post
One comment on the battery consumption. I used the program irexshutdown with 2.0-beta firmware. I compiled the code with the SDK and installed it (Note that I added the flag -P to the shutdown system call). By using it, the irex fully shuts down in about 15-20 seconds. Later when I slided the button it did the whole long booting process.
That said, I left it off for about two days and the battery went down from 48% to 35%. So I'm not sure if it actually powers down the device.
Not sure what happened. When I did it with my script (which isn't safe, so don't use it), it went 18 hours without losing any battery.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #29
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Working with Notepad application as well as "Hello World" I might have gotten a hint. Every respectable app has a callback describing what to do on suspend. E.g. Notepad saves its state:
Code:
     static void on_prepare_standby( 
            eripc_context_t          *context,
            const eripc_event_info_t *info,
            void                     *user_data )
    {
        LOGPRINTF("entry");
        (void) gInstance->save();
        LOGPRINTF("exit");
    }
So, the idea is to launch an application with the lowest priority which should have in this callback
Code:
  * wait for say 5 seconds for others to prepare for suspend
  * call /sbin/shutdown
Having this app running we then can trigger a software/hardware suspend - either special menu item or use power button for 0.5 sec. The system will be switched off due to the callback in our special app. Sending "suspend" signal we guarantee everything is saved before shutdown.

What do you say?

Edit: calling unmount_sd might not work clean, e.g. Notepad does gInstance->quit(); instead of saving. And we can just try modifying GregorRichards's code by explicit call of suspend (will this work though?).

Last edited by dima_tr; 07-11-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: have read GregorRichards's solution code
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #30
Franky
Nameless Being

is this thread somewhat the same as your Hidden gems, dima_tr?