Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #16
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I chose the Australian box in the drop down Jurgen and it said 280,000 - how did you find an exact title number like that?
Go to the Kindle Books page and read the number of results you get.
Jürgen Hubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Gotcha.

Showing 1 - 12 of 267,292 Results
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 01:24 AM   #18
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Also interesting would be for people that find georestricted books at fictionwise, etc., see if exactly the same at Amazon?
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #19
elli
elli has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle now!
KINDLE IN THE UK
http://www.amazon.co.uk

NO WAY
THIS IS FANTASTIC
apologies for the caps, but i am hyperventilating!!!!
elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #20
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
From the Amazon Kindle order page:

"Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items for a fee of $1.99"

Wow, a full 20% international surcharge added to Amazon's $9.99 bestsellers seems outrageous, don't you think???
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #21
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Another link:
CNET - Kindle goes global
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #22
chinesealbumart
Enthusiast
chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chinesealbumart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Why am I not surprised

chinesealbumart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:36 AM   #23
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Amazon's made its international launch announcement overnight on its UK site and others. I guess those who don't feel snubbed so badly over the past couple of years as to acutally buy it, pay the extra (non-US) purchase price on the machine and a couple of bucks extra every time they download a book from a Kindle store with georestrictions on many titles. TBNT. Merry Christmas, Sony, Cybook, Cool-ER et al. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 AM   #24
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast
Jürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enoughJürgen Hubert will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
From the Amazon Kindle order page:

"Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items for a fee of $1.99"

Wow, a full 20% international surcharge added to Amazon's $9.99 bestsellers seems outrageous, don't you think???
Is this fee of $1.99 also charged if you download the file to your computer and then upload it to the Kindle via an USB cable?
Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #25
sforce
Connoisseur

Also of interest, I just looked at the Kindle international UK and Mexico web pages (as a sample), and bestsellers are not really the advertised $9.99...see below:

UK:
Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99 to $13.99 (prices include VAT), unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 70,000 titles are priced under $5.99

Mexico:
Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You'll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99

This speaks to the (lack of) honestly emanating from Amazon's Bezos, whereas the press release (and order page) is quite specific about the "$9.99 Bestsellers" price point. Nothing like a little fine print to hide behind...

Low Book Prices: New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are $9.99, unless marked otherwise. When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items for a fee of $1.99

I find it remarkable (and disturbing), someone doesn't hold Bezos' feet to the coals...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:55 AM   #26
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
I've put together a table that lists every country in which Kindle is available along with number of books, their pricing, wireless availability etc
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #27
sforce
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Simple math says that international "Bestseller" readers are going to pay 40% more (at a minimum) than USA "Bestseller" readers---for the same Kindle-version books (including the $1.99 surcharge).

Wow...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:24 AM   #28
Jürgen Hubert
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Thanks.

Now I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a database for each book sold on the Kindle - complete with lists of availability and prices for each country.

Sure, Amazon wouldn't like such a database. But I think the rest of us would like some transparency...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #29
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
The 1.99 USD surcharge seems to be taxes, which amount to 18% - 20% in all European countries. So I blame our stupid European laws that tax ebooks!

cheers,

kaas

Last edited by kaas; 10-07-2009 at 03:31 AM.
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:29 AM   #30
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I was excited while reading the announcement and also feeling dismayed that my original Kindle and Kindle 2 would be unable to take advantage of this; but after reading about the limitations, I'm not so stoked. I mean, it's great that people in other countries can finally purchase a Kindle directly from Amazon but this really adds nothing to those of us who are already US customers. With a $2 charge for every download (including archived items!?) and no access to the web browser, I would never turn on the wireless when abroad (I'm living in Japan right now and I don't feel very deprived without wireless). The best thing about wireless to me is being able to access Wikipedia anywhere. Take away that, what's the point? There's no book I need so badly that I can't wait until I get home to download (of if I have my laptop with me, until I find a hotspot).
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote