Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
[Rumor] Kindle coming to Target on April 25

Looks like there is a photo leak of the Target inventory software posted over at Engadget. Hmm interesting...

Quote:
this is a shot of a Target inventory handheld showing a listing for Amazon's e-reader. We're told that the in-store date is April 25, so we'll be keeping an eye out

Complete story here ...
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Would be a smart move getting it in stores where people can try it out. Target already has displays of Sony readers.

I also think Amazon runs Targets web store--if not at the least you sometimes get linked to Target when searching for products on Amazon's website. So in that sense they seem like a natural fit if they want a B&M presence for the Kindle.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Would be a smart move getting it in stores where people can try it out. Target already has displays of Sony readers.

I also think Amazon runs Targets web store--if not at the least you sometimes get linked to Target when searching for products on Amazon's website. So in that sense they seem like a natural fit if they want a B&M presence for the Kindle.
I think you are right about Target and their online store being run by Amazon. It is about time the Kindle was able toe seen and held by potential customers. Smart move by Amazon, will help them keep the edge on Nook.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Unless the Kindle suffers the same fate as Sony in the stores - every store I've been in that has a Sony display (Staples, Sam's Club, etc.) - the display model is non-functional - and no one in the store admits to knowing anything about the reader or how to make it work.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be smart of amazone to give target readers free download of books, so that everyone that tries the kindle in the store could test to download a book. I dont mean that they will keep the book or anything, just try the function that is the most important feature of the kindle compared to its competitors (at least imho )
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@poohbear_nc True, it was a hit and miss getting accurate info from those reps. I do recall target and Borders being the better of the lot. Although one thing that is different is most people now and days know what a reader is. Back then people were less aware.

@CTH that is a good idea, you mean have full access to the store/features. Kind of how Verizon allows you to fully use their phones on the store. It would be cool if Amazon would allow people to download their favorite book and see the experience of buying eBooks.

=X=
Old 04-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Smart from Amazons pov but I still don't understand why booksellers who don't currently sell ebooks would want to sell an ebook reader (thinking Borders)

Even if Target was thinking about selling e-books, why would they sell a device tied to an Amazon store unless there were some book profit sharing or merger.

There must be a reason...but I just never figured it out how this doesn't cannabalize future book sales (or make up for it). I thought it was maybe Borders being desperate for any sales but that wouldn't seem to be the case with Target. Can anyone offer an explanation?

Last edited by Boston; 04-08-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
when Target starts carrying slates and tablets iPad clones and customers compare to Kindle....well Kindle will lose out at Target

Last edited by Ervserver; 04-08-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Unless the Kindle suffers the same fate as Sony in the stores - every store I've been in that has a Sony display (Staples, Sam's Club, etc.) - the display model is non-functional - and no one in the store admits to knowing anything about the reader or how to make it work.
I can relate. I recently went to Best Buy to check out Sony's Daily Edition, and guess what????

Haven't experienced that at an Apple Store; perhaps because their employees are well-trained. I don't blame Sony, and I certainly don't assume that because the store model was beat to heck that what I saw amounted to a hands-on experience, but Best Buy and B&N could learn a bit from Apple Stores, and increase their sales while doing so. At least train employees to remove defective display merchandise.

My prediction is that Target customers will tear the Kindle display models to shreds. It's a good and reliable device, but the public can be rough on displays.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-09-2010 at 08:16 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
when Target starts carrying slates and tablets iPad clones and customers compare to Kindle....well Kindle will lose out at Target
Until the reading public notices the price tag, the weight, and the battery life.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I can relate. I recently went to Best Buy to check out Sony's Daily Edition, and guess what????

Haven't experienced that at an Apple Store; perhaps because their employees are well-trained. I don't blame Sony, and I certainly don't assume that because the store model was beat to heck that what I saw amounted to a hands-on experience, but Best Buy and B&N could learn a bit from Apple Stores, and increase their sales while doing so. At least train employees to remove defective display merchandise.

My prediction is that Target customers will tear the Kindle display models to shreds. It's a good and reliable device, but the public can be rough on displays.
IMHO, I don't think it's fair to compare an Apple employee, who only sell one manufacturer's line of products, with a Best Buy or Target employee who has to sell multiple manufacturer's lines of products. Yes, Apple has a variety of products, but they have similarities in OS's, interfaces, user experiences, etc., so the differences between how say an iPod Touch and an iPad are nowhere near as complex as what a BB employee has to learn, like the difference between a Roxio player and an HP netbook (just as an example - not even sure if those products exist). Yes, employee training on products can always be improved, but Apple is a different kind of store and it's unfairly disadvantages Target and BB to insinuate they sell the same kind of products.

Just my $.02.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

Haven't experienced that at an Apple Store; perhaps because their employees are well-trained.
Well you should compare apples to apples (no pun intended)

If you go to a Sony Style store you will find all of the SONY devices working properly with reps knowledgeable on the product.

Same when I went to a B&N store they had a fully functional nook.

It's when you go to large retailers (Target/Wal Mart/ Best Buy/Office Depot/Staples) Where the display product is not working properly and the reps don't know much about the product.

=X=
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Yea, I've read about this. This is pretty nice for the casual not to sure about the ereader yet market.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
When I was researching before I bought mine I went to three stores to look at different readers, none of the readers worked at any of them. At two of the BB stores I went to the display models were right at the front of store, just begging to be touched, poked, and played with by everyone that walked by. At one they called their "reader expert" over to help me. She turned it off, turned it on, pushed a few buttons. Declared it dead, removed it from the display and told me they'd order another display model and I should call in a week or two.

For expensive devices like that I think it would be totally appropriate to keep a display model locked up and to only let people that ask for it to hold it.

Back to the topic at hand, I think that this is something Amazon almost has to do to stay competitive. Almost all the other devices you can go get your hands on them prior to ordering. Also, there is the immediate gratification factor at Target, you see it, you play with it, you like it , you can go home with it right away.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
IMHO, I don't think it's fair to compare an Apple employee, who only sell one manufacturer's line of products, with a Best Buy or Target employee who has to sell multiple manufacturer's lines of products. Yes, Apple has a variety of products, but they have similarities in OS's, interfaces, user experiences, etc., so the differences between how say an iPod Touch and an iPad are nowhere near as complex as what a BB employee has to learn, like the difference between a Roxio player and an HP netbook (just as an example - not even sure if those products exist). Yes, employee training on products can always be improved, but Apple is a different kind of store and it's unfairly disadvantages Target and BB to insinuate they sell the same kind of products.

Just my $.02.
You're right; it's not fair to compare the two. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know when a display is malfunctioning. Employees should at least be trained to remove those display models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well you should compare apples to apples (no pun intended)

If you go to a Sony Style store you will find all of the SONY devices working properly with reps knowledgeable on the product.

Same when I went to a B&N store they had a fully functional nook.

It's when you go to large retailers (Target/Wal Mart/ Best Buy/Office Depot/Staples) Where the display product is not working properly and the reps don't know much about the product.

=X=
I didn't know Sony had dedicated physical stores. I checked after reading your post, and there are none in my area, but it would make for a more fair comparison.

As to the B&N Stores, the last time I inquired about a Nook in one was just before they were released. I walked up the the counter just under "Nook, the world's most advanced e-reader" banner and asked a couple of questions. The employees were completely in the dark. Things may have changed, but that's how it was late last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
When I was researching before I bought mine I went to three stores to look at different readers, none of the readers worked at any of them. At two of the BB stores I went to the display models were right at the front of store, just begging to be touched, poked, and played with by everyone that walked by. At one they called their "reader expert" over to help me. She turned it off, turned it on, pushed a few buttons. Declared it dead, removed it from the display and told me they'd order another display model and I should call in a week or two.

For expensive devices like that I think it would be totally appropriate to keep a display model locked up and to only let people that ask for it to hold it.

Back to the topic at hand, I think that this is something Amazon almost has to do to stay competitive. Almost all the other devices you can go get your hands on them prior to ordering. Also, there is the immediate gratification factor at Target, you see it, you play with it, you like it , you can go home with it right away.
Not a bad idea, although many people will be reluctant to ask. It could result in fewer sales.