Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Question Flickering

I had originally set the brightness of my Glo to 1%, One day, after sideloading a book, I noticed a slight flickering. It was subtle, but noticeable. It went away when I changed the brightness to 2% (still happened at 1%) and I chalked it up as a weird but overall irrelevant issue. Today, again after sideloading a book, the same very slight flickering happened, now at 2%. I went back to 1%, same. 2%, still there. At 3%, it's fine.

Has anyone observed a similar problem? Or are there any theories on why that happens and whether it can be fixed? I'm fine with the 3% brightness, but I'm beginning to wonder if this will turn into a recurring issue where I have to frequently increase the level of brightness.

I haven't changed anything else, no firmware upgrades, no custom content except one font (that was after the 1% flickering started, but already some time ago). I did a reset, which had no impact.

Any ideas?
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
kobome
kobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy bluekobome can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
I have experienced a similar issue with my Glo. At 1%, the screen would start to flicker, very annoying. I am not 100% sure about this, but I think the flicker happened with side-loaded books as well as with downloads from the Kobo store. Also, with the setting at 1%, it frequently happened that the light would not turn back on after waking the device, even though the software claimed the light was switched on.

I brought my Glo back to the store the next day b/c of a few dead pixels in exchange for a new one. So far, I haven't experienced any of these problems on my replacement device.
kobome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone else has experienced this issue. At five months old, my Kobo Glo just started flickering. Running 3.1.1 ... it didn't do it til a couple days ago, and it was very subtle then. By this morning, the flickering's constant and very noticeable.

Thoughts? Does this mean I'm about to lose the "glo" in my Kobo Glo?
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote