Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Viridovix
Viridovix began at the beginning.

Device: none
SVG Cover thumbnail on iBook

Hi all, I'm a developer working with XSD, XML, XSLT documents.

We have a lot (huge?) of documents both in XML and XHTML format. The problem is that we would like to convert them to ePub too.

I developed a XSLT thati is able to create all the required files. The problem arise with covers.

I drawn a SVG vector image as template and, via XSLT, I can change the title accordingly with the document being processed.

It seems all Ok. Works fine on several readers (ADE, Android device, Firefox plugin).

On the iPad the SVG cover is shown right when I open the document. Unfortunately no way for the bookshelf thumbnail: the iBook/iPad default thumbnail is shown.

I've "travel" widely in the forum. Some people stated that iPad/iBook support the SVG both in the document and as thumbnail.

I think I'm missing something... can someone suggest a starting point?

G.
Viridovix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
From the eBook Covers in our wiki.
The iBooks application also needs an entry in the guide section.

<guide>
<reference type="cover" href="the-cover-filename.xhtml" />
</guide>

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Viridovix

Hi DaleDe, that entry is also present:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
    xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="BookID" version="2.0">
    <metadata>
        <dc:title>My Title</dc:title>
        <dc:creator opf:role="aut">Viridovix</dc:creator>
        <dc:language>it-IT</dc:language>
        <dc:rights>All rights reserved</dc:rights>
        <dc:publisher>USNB</dc:publisher>
        <dc:identifier id="BookID" opf:scheme="UUID">www.usnb.it-16-653113-38132</dc:identifier>
        <dc:subject>Doc Subject</dc:subject>
        <dc:date>2012-11-22T12:37:35.936+01:00</dc:date>
        <meta content="USNB" name="copyright"/>
        <meta content="cover-image" name="cover"/>
    </metadata>
    <manifest>
        <item id="cover-image" href="image/cover.svg" media-type="image/svg+xml"/>
        <item id="cover-page" href="copertina.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
        <item id="ncx" href="toc.ncx" media-type="application/x-dtbncx+xml"/>
        <item id="style-bgt1" href="bgtxml1.css" media-type="text/css"/>
        <item id="style-bgt2" href="bgtxml2.css" media-type="text/css"/>
        <item id="front01" href="frontespizio_front01.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
        <item id="relpres1" href="relpres1.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml"/>
        <item id="articolato1" href="articolato1.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />
    </manifest>
    <spine toc="ncx">
        <itemref idref="cover-page" linear="yes"/>
        <itemref idref="front01"/>
        <itemref idref="relpres1"/>
        <itemref idref="articolato1"/>
    </spine>
    <guide>
        <reference href="copertina.xhtml" title="Copertina" type="cover"/>
    </guide>
</package>
I think that probably ePub doesn't support SVG for thumbnails...

Last edited by Viridovix; 11-22-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added last sentence
Old 11-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
AFAIK, it should work. It's possible that the cover is failing to render for some reason. Try opening the SVG file in Safari and see if it works.

Also, make sure that the SVG file is actually referenced in the HTML cover.

Beyond that, is there an EPUB file you could post somewhere that demonstrates the problem?

Last edited by dgatwood; 11-22-2012 at 03:21 PM.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Viridovix

I've just placed one here:

http://www.briotti.name/ePub/ddl3240.epub

This works fine in several reader (Android, ADE, Azardi...). On iPad and iPhone the cover thumbnail is not shown (the default one is shown instead).

I opened the SVG in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE9 and it works fine. I'll try Safari.
The cover xhtml page is shown on iPad and iPhone.

Thanks

EDIT: both the xhtml that include SVG and SVG itself are opened in Safari 5.1.7

Last edited by Viridovix; 11-22-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: New test
Advert
Old 11-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a bug, then. Do you want to file it, or should I?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
Viridovix

I never filed a bug to Apple... I look around and it seems a little bit unfriendly :-)
And moreover an AppleId is required...
Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
dgatwood
Curmudgeon

Looks like I forgot to file this. Oops. Better late than never. I filed rdar://13780366, not that the number will help you any.